• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Better to remain silent...

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Am I the only one who thinks his posts are strategic disguised as reactionary? Trump took a shitty game that everyone hated, invented his own, forced people to play his version and won it all. Not liking him is one thing, but translating that into 'not like me = stupid' is a dangerous underestimation that he is likely banking on. I feel like he's two steps ahead of this.

The Terminator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I hope you're still referring to Trump. I'm not sure Bobby Brown would be worth the trouble. Can you also go back and murder the horse that paralyzed Superman? Or instill an irrational fear of horses in a 2 year old Christopher Reeve?

That's correct.

Superman is a fiction. Christopher D'Olier Reeve is my next target.

Enneagram
9w1
I'm very much against censorship of the Ego and Id by Super-Ego inspired individuals, I definitely like to be aware of and consider everything instead of being ignorant and foolish by censoring those who you think are ignorant and foolish.

Well I prefer people to shut up irl, because I find loud and blunt people more physically aggressive/bothersome and personally offensive, but that's just a thing of being hypersensitive and being physiologically reactive (Enneagram 9), but truthfully Idgaf as long as people's foolish words do not get enough influence for me to want to leave this planet or kill myself, and enough people hate trump for me to not be personally affected by what he says (I dont need to feel (offended) because others feel for me basically, I just silently support them and feel comforted by their presence... if i was the only one to feel something it would make me uncomfortable and suicidal)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Am I the only one who thinks his posts are strategic disguised as reactionary? Trump took a shitty game that everyone hated, invented his own, forced people to play his version and won it all. Not liking him is one thing, but translating that into 'not like me = stupid' is a dangerous underestimation that he is likely banking on. I feel like he's two steps ahead of this.

Strategic in only the way someone with grandiose narcissism can unravel plans. He didn't invent this. Just no one with such an obvious case of NPD (my opinion based on living with someone with it) has been elected President before. But Americans love narcissists, we elect them all the time. They just seem so much more powerful, bigger and better than us and they enjoy cultivating that image and we love seeing our champion win.

I agree with you that to think he is stupid is unwise but to not see that most of what he is trying to do is not a breath of fresh air. It's not even new. It's stale air blown at us at 150 psi so we think it's different.

Lark

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
― Abraham Lincoln

“Silence does not always mark wisdom.”
― Samuel Taylor Coleridge

With the advent of President-elect Trump, I've noticed more than a few people espousing the opinion that Trump needs to shut up on Twitter, because he's making a fool of himself. Whether or not you agree with the premise of Trump being a fool, do you really believe that people who have only foolish things to say shouldn't speak at all? I am taken aback by that notion. Given my own way, I'd rather know what's on everybody's mind, gibberish or no, rather than being met with a wall of silence punctuated by well-timed and well-thought out words divorced from the process of how they were created or clues to what effect they're trying to produce.

What do you think?

The top quote is one of my favourite quotations but I havent mastered knowing when to be silent and when to speak to date.

Its got a long tradition the appreciation of being silent and thoughtful among presidents and founding fathers, both Jefferson and Franklin were fans of the idea, Jefferson thought that the relationship between church and state and even an enlightened view of religion were or should be based upon only speaking about what could be known and not speculating, the Jefferson Bible is a result, Franklin elevated silence to the level of a virtue and described how to construct a diary/journal to track its development.

I dont think it was a mistaken idea at all, provided they arent verbally abusive or threatening or aggressive I can suffer fools though, no ones perfect.

Kirkegaard had some kind of a quote about freedom of speech being favoured by people who neglect freedom of thought and I think that's right, its not simply about foolishness but what the consequences will be, also I get why Socrates and Plato didnt like the Sophists, the masters of clever arguments and argument for arguments sake, who thought that there was no truth and any side of an argument could be considered true (post-modernism? back in the day?).