• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Art and MBTI

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I think all MBTI types have the capacity to appreciate art and create works of art. However, I imagined that some types may find certain classifications of art less acceptable than others (SJs and conceptual/abstract art? Challenge me, I could be wrong.)

I have an appreciation for art, I'm sometimes left in awe by architecture (except for Brutalist buildings, yuck) and my wife (INTJ) has been studying for a Master's in Art History and creates artworks herself.

Agreed. I think it would be an interesting idea to see which artistic movement/style is preferred by each type, rather than whether there are types that aren't drawn to art. Art has a wide spectrum of forms, so there's something for everyone.

---

I'm dedicated to Art. I did two years of architecture, I'm currently studying Curatorship and Art Histoy, I spend half my afternoons going to museums and art galleries, I write novels and stories, I draw (both with pencils and digitally) and I've recently started started studying music theory, used to do photography... everything you can think of.

Liking "art" or not (and which kind) depends on one's taste and, as I've proven, upbringing.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Which MBTI types are more likely to get into art?

Painting, music, sculpture, architecture.

I imagine anyone can, but wonder if there is any correlation.

I have really no idea, but I guess, intuitive and feeling types?

MBTI types do not correlate to an individual's hobbies and interests, believe it or not.
I knew a man whose INTJ wife was actually a poet, for example.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is so wonderful about art is that it can be approached in an infinite different ways. There are advantages to being a Sensor because it can imply greater adeptness at crafting the sensory expression of the art. Higher awareness to detail and ability to control the media could be connecting with Sensing. The iNtuitve may be more likely to start with an internal, abstract concept , using more extreme versions of imagination, that is then expressed concretely. Of course even these are generalizations, which don't apply in every case.

For one example of an ISFP artisan, my impression is that Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is one of the most perfect Fi-Se expressions of genius. He quotes each phrase and then does a sonic response to the meaning of that phrase. He uses noise and distortion, but it is controlled down to the exact nuance of pitch and tone. His response to "But the flag was still there" is first an expression of pain with hints of taps being played as if to say, "Your flag is still there, but the people aren't." It takes pure sonic references and speaks at a level for everyone to rethink the assumptions of millions.

Then you can take someone like Beethoven, who I suspect is a Ni-dom. He takes one kernal of sound pattern and amplifies it into an sonic fractal to express his philosophical orientation about the struggle of individual will against the whole of reality. When going deaf he almost abandoned music to become a philosopher, but he is also a sonic philosopher.

So one starts with the raw concreteness of sonic pain in an entirely personal world of sound and expresses the immorality of human beings (Hendrix), and the other takes a small pattern, amplifies into a web of structures to express the question of existence. In a way they achieve the same thing, but the process is opposite.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MBTI types do not correlate to an individual's hobbies and interests, believe it or not.
I knew a man whose INTJ wife was actually a poet, for example.

No

Lol jk

Fair enough.

Kadokawa

Agreed. I think it would be an interesting idea to see which artistic movement/style is preferred by each type, rather than whether there are types that aren't drawn to art. Art has a wide spectrum of forms, so there's something for everyone.

This is interesting, and I take it's completely plausible to be done in this thread.

I am an INTP and whenever I see any form of art, specially architecture and paintings, I can spend several minutes just staring at the minimal details.
I like classical and medieval architecture, as well as impressionist paintings. I write (poor) poetry and play some intruments as well. Have been saving to buy painting materials because I want to try it.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
This is interesting, and I take it's completely plausible to be done in this thread.

I am an INTP and whenever I see any form of art, specially architecture and paintings, I can spend several minutes just staring at the minimal details.
I like classical and medieval architecture, as well as impressionist paintings. I write (poor) poetry and play some intruments as well. Have been saving to buy painting materials because I want to try it.

You're my twin! Last week I went to a museum I've already visited like 5 times, and it took me 6 hours to see half of it, my mind gets lost in there. I love gothic architecture (my signature has one of the Latin precepts for this kind of architecture), though I like some modern examples too. I also like Impresionism/Post-Impressionism (some specific examples of fauvism and expressionism) and Surrealism. Who's your favourite impressionist (or what is your favourite painting)? I adore Monet's Boulevard des Capucines. I often imagine how cool it'd be if reality was like that and things that are far look definite, but the closer you get the more they turn into brush strokes of colour. Probably my life is like that anyway: the closer I get to things, the less I understand them.

Art supplies are really expensive, I feel you. Maybe you should try gouache or acrylic before oil-based paints, because those ones are rrrrrrreally expensive (plus they need a lot of other "aid" materials), and chances are you're going to make mistakes when you start learning. What would you like to paint?

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Since it's still somewhat up in the air whether I'm SP ir NT, I'm not entirely sure how my response would contribute.

I'm a musician, professionally trained (I graduate at the end of next spring). I play clarinet primarily but I can also play flute and saxophone at a decent level. I also arrange (but never finish lol) songs for wind ensembles. Sometimes they're popular songs, sometimes they're transcriptions of some soundtrack, etc etc. Absolute pitch helps.

I've loved drawing ever since I was little. I'm pretty mediocre (on the scale from "can't even draw stick figures" to "so good it looks like an HD photograph) at pencil drawing - better than stick figures and basic shading but limited in techniques to what I can do with a mechanical pencil, a slightly smudgey eraser, and the pads of my fingers for blending.
I have almost no training on colored pencils but I do have a nice set of watercolor pencils I want to learn to use better. Beyond that, my colors aren't fantastic.
I have some training with acrylic paints but I'm definitely still a novice there. I don't have the materials to practice either - paint and brushes and canvases are expensive lol.
I've worked with pastels once. Basically crayons. It was for a scratchboard so I didn't put too much thought into it. I also really like coloring with markers for some reason.
I used to do stamping with my mother.
I've been trying to develop my stylized drawings. These are mostly digital but some traditional as well. It's slow going. I would like to try some 2D animations eventually.

I would love to learn 3D art but I don't have the time or money for learning that. Even my papier mache and pipe cleaner sculptures are terrible. XD

I've written a few poems here and there. In my eyes they're painfully literal with no hidden meaning, but that's probably because I already know what it means. I appreciate fourth wall breaking (if it can be called that) and self-references in poetry.

Can't say I've ever delved into the world of computer generated fractals, but I love to look at them.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

giphy.gif

Lol jk

Fair enough.

giphy.gif

fucking thought so.

Kadokawa

You're my twin! Last week I went to a museum I've already visited like 5 times, and it took me 6 hours to see half of it, my mind gets lost in there. I love gothic architecture (my signature has one of the Latin precepts for this kind of architecture), though I like some modern examples too. I also like Impresionism/Post-Impressionism (some specific examples of fauvism and expressionism) and Surrealism. Who's your favourite impressionist (or what is your favourite painting)? I adore Monet's Boulevard des Capucines. I often imagine how cool it'd be if reality was like that and things that are far look definite, but the closer you get the more they turn into brush strokes of colour. Probably my life is like that anyway: the closer I get to things, the less I understand them.

Art supplies are really expensive, I feel you. Maybe you should try gouache or acrylic before oil-based paints, because those ones are rrrrrrreally expensive (plus they need a lot of other "aid" materials), and chances are you're going to make mistakes when you start learning. What would you like to paint?

I'm not really a scholar when it comes to impressionism, but I really like Le jardin de l’artiste à Giverny. It's one of the blurriest of all, and the color combinations are really nice.

Sometimes when I get bored during college classes I start drawing a lot of stuff in my notebook. Recently I have noticed my skills have been improving, specially when it comes to perspective, although I'm not really that good yet. I think my first paintings will be color versions of those drawings. I draw a lot of things, from churches and train stations to really abstract and surrealist ideas.

And I appreciate the advice on oil paintings, and would really appreciate it better what you mean by aid materials? As far as I know all you technically need is the paint, brushes and the canvas(es).

I have the goal/idea that one day much of every wall space in my apartment will be covered in my own paintings.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I'm not really a scholar when it comes to impressionism, but I really like Le jardin de l’artiste à Giverny. It's one of the blurriest of all, and the color combinations are really nice.

Sometimes when I get bored during college classes I start drawing a lot of stuff in my notebook. Recently I have noticed my skills have been improving, specially when it comes to perspective, although I'm not really that good yet. I think my first paintings will be color versions of those drawings. I draw a lot of things, from churches and train stations to really abstract and surrealist ideas.

And I appreciate the advice on oil paintings, and would really appreciate it better what you mean by aid materials? As far as I know all you technically need is the paint, brushes and the canvas(es).

I have the goal/idea that one day much of every wall space in my apartment will be covered in my own paintings.

Nice choice!

You should see my college notebooks. All the margins are filled with drawings. Plus my handwriting when taking notes is worse than that of a doctor, so the pages look like weird codices, haha Perspective for objects is easy to improve. I struggle with human/animal perspective... Foreshortening is just impossible... for now ;) When we get better we should exchange drawings!

Oh, I don't know the English names for materials, but I know you need some types of oils and materials for work... like to speed up/slow down the drying or a special material for cleaning the brush (because you can't use water)... I've never used oil because I started using acrylic and decided I didn't like paint (because I can't erase, haha), but I go to an Arts college and have friends studying paint. I always see them carrying lots of bottles with weird smelly substances.

I want that too! But first I need my own apartment, haha I already have some ideas. If I get tired of painting it, I can always print a wall-sized vynil, hahaha :D

I am a visual artist that works with oil paints. I am at the moment unsure of whether I'm an ISFP or an INFP because I can relate to both descriptions in certain ways. I at first thought I was an INFP, but have recently started to reconsider whether I am possibly an ISFP because the one area in art I've always had a knack for was details. I've been drawing since I was 2 years old and always had an affinity for it. I was able to discern spatial differences from a young age and the ability to emulate what I saw in person on paper. I am also a major perfectionist, and can spend hours just working on one area to make it look as good as possible and then completely redoing it again after I step back and see that it didn't look as good as I thought. I was always naturally good at drawing, but didn't learn to paint well until I was in my early 20s. I taught myself how to paint with oils without any self help books by myself, so that's another reason I think I could be an ISFP.

I also played the violin for 6 years and never practiced, but still portrayed a natural ability at the instrument. The desire and passion was not there though, so I ended up stopping it in high school, but I know if I practiced on a regular basis I could have been really good. I also tried teaching myself how to play a few songs on the keyboard by ear and studying the key placements of songs. So I always enjoyed music and art at a young age, but never cared to study them more in depth to be honest, which sounds more SP to me.

I do think sensors would portray a more natural ability, especially an Se dominant person because of their natural inclination to take external objects in the moment and being able to make the most out of what they can right then and there. I think intuitives can still be really good at art, but I think they would study more about the subject to better understand it theoretically, while a sensor, especially an SP, can learn better hands on, which is how I learn naturally.

The only thing that warrants my uncertainty is how I'm able to see the possibilities of a situation and how I always tend to live in the future ever since I was little. I always visualized future and even past possibilities of what could or could have been, and I just don't relate to the "living in the moment" description of ISFPs. I also am a huge daydreamer and have my own alternate worlds and fantasies that don't pertain to real life, so I can also relate to INFPs in this regard too. However, I never had a major interest in writing and reading to be honest, so that's where I think that I may not possibly be an INFP. I can relate a lot to what many INFPs have written here and to many who have posted videos online, but I do relate to some ISFPs too.

It seems pretty difficult to distinguish in my case, because I can resonate with both the Se-Ni and the Ne-Si axes. I have read that ISFPs are known to be one of the most intuitive sensors, and tend to develop their Ni tertiary function at a much younger age compared to other sensing types. Come to think of it, I do try to portray meaning and symbolism in my artwork now in my 20s then when I was in high school. When I was younger, I just liked making art because I enjoyed it and because it was something I was good at, and not for any deep meaning. Hmm, I think I could be an ISFP for this reason and probably developed my Ni function earlier on. Anyone else can relate to this somewhat?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems pretty difficult to distinguish in my case, because I can resonate with both the Se-Ni and the Ne-Si axes. I have read that ISFPs are known to be one of the most intuitive sensors, and tend to develop their Ni tertiary function at a much younger age compared to other sensing types. Come to think of it, I do try to portray meaning and symbolism in my artwork now in my 20s then when I was in high school. When I was younger, I just liked making art because I enjoyed it and because it was something I was good at, and not for any deep meaning. Hmm, I think I could be an ISFP for this reason and probably developed my Ni function earlier on. Anyone else can relate to this somewhat?

I'm just going to guess that it'll vary between ISFP's and their personal vision / definition of art / what they are wanting to portray / purpose.

Speaking for myself, I'll be totally honest, am in my late 30's and I'm still not interested in 'deeper meanings' in my art (btw -- no offense whatsoever intended towards you or anyone who is more metaphorical in their art - it simply is not me / nothing I am focusing on). For me it is all about the colors, aesthetics/finding my own style, emotional 'tone' I suppose, and subject. Technique / learning technique / improving in the medium is always of importance to me too. I too am perfectionistic with my art and it leads me to be highly critical of my stuff and I don't feel I often achieve what I really want / there's always something I could have done better.

(I think my Ni is pretty developed, and I developed it at a somewhat young age; however I don't think Ni comes into play in my art -- at least in the 'metaphorical'/deep meaning sense -- it's seen elsewhere in my life / choices /thought processes)

I'm just going to guess that it'll vary between ISFP's and their personal vision / definition of art / what they are wanting to portray / purpose.

Speaking for myself, I'll be totally honest, am in my late 30's and I'm still not interested in 'deeper meanings' in my art (btw -- no offense whatsoever intended towards you or anyone who is more metaphorical in their art - it simply is not me / nothing I am focusing on). For me it is all about the colors, aesthetics/finding my own style, emotional 'tone' I suppose, and subject. Technique / learning technique / improving in the medium is always of importance to me too. I too am perfectionistic with my art and it leads me to be highly critical of my stuff and I don't feel I often achieve what I really want / there's always something I could have done better.

Thanks for responding! I can relate to wanting to perfect my technique and never feeling satisfied with the end result as well. I have started incorporating more symbolism in my work when I got into college, but the skill and visual aesthetics always had to be there regardless of the deeper meaning. I also never understood the attraction towards more abstract artwork until now, which I do have a much greater appreciation for, but still gravitate towards more concrete art with some fantastical elements incorporated.

Btw, nice artwork too!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for responding! I can relate to wanting to perfect my technique and never feeling satisfied with the end result as well. I have started incorporating more symbolism in my work when I got into college, but the skill and visual aesthetics always had to be there regardless of the deeper meaning. I also never understood the attraction towards more abstract artwork until now, which I do have a much greater appreciation for, but still gravitate towards more concrete art with some fantastical elements incorporated.

Btw, nice artwork too!

Cool. :yes: And thank you!

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Every type is capable of being an artist. Life's better that way. Now, NAKED PAINT PARTIES FOR ALL!!

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
<--- Daydreamer, avid writer, vivid imagination, ESFJ.

Please separate imagination from iNtuition in your mind. They are not one in the same. Hopefully you'll learn more about N/S as you continue to interact with the forum.

All of the items on the current form of the official MBTI test got there by a process of elimination that started decades ago and has involved hundreds of tested items, with the survivors basically being the items that have been found to do the best job of clustering — based on thousands of tests and the psychometric standards applicable in the personality typology field — with the other items being scored for the same preference.

Here are three of the S/N items from the official MBTI:

Do you usually get along better with (N) imaginative people, or (S) realistic people?

In doing something that many other people do, does it appeal to you more to (S) do it in the accepted way, or (N) invent a way of your own?

Which word appeals to you most? (N) imaginative or (S) matter of fact.​

As you may know, the "Step II" version of the MBTI has five "facets" for each dimension, and one of the S/N facets is Realistic/Imaginative.

The Big Five dimension that's generally viewed as tapping into the same real underlying personality dimension as MBTI S/N is called Opennness to Experience, and as further described below, two of its six facets are Fantasy and Aesthetics.

"Hopefully you'll learn more about N/S as you continue to interact with the forum." :alttongue:

... especially when SPs get classified as the Artisans? :rofl1:

sorry... I know you're new... I just couldn't help myself there!

For anyone under the mistaken impression that either ISFP or ISTP is a more likely arts-oriented type than INFP or INTP, the opposite is actually true. INFP is arguably the single most likely artist type (with INFJ and INTP both runner-up contenders), while ISFPs and ISTPs are relatively unlikely artist types. The "ISFP as artist" notion came from David Keirsey, and I think Keirsey had quite a few insightful things to say, but the ISFP=artist thing was probably his biggest mistake.

Decades of studies (MBTI and Big Five both) have pretty clearly established that creativity/imagination and artistic interests are quite strongly correlated with an N preference, and that's consistent with both Jung's and Myers' takes on the types, and it applies whether the materials the artist/creator is working with are abstract or concrete (e.g., photographers and painters).

Of the 114 professional fine artists in one study shown in the second edition of the MBTI Manual, 91% of them were N's (65% NF and 26% NT). More specifically, 25 were INFP and only one was ISFP. It's pretty common to find internet forumites assuming that, if the relevant art involves physical materials and tools (like painting), it must be "Se" territory rather than "Ne" territory, but as the Manual explained: "Because true creativity in the arts requires highly differentiated use of tools and materials, one might expect artists to prefer sensing perception rather than intuition. Empirically, N types outnumber S types in art students and among artists. The theoretical explanation is that the insights and inspirations provided by intuition are more important, but true artistic skill requires the development of S skills for use in the service of N inspirations."

The list of occupational rankings along the SN dimension in Appendix D to that edition of the Manual (based on a variety of studies in the CAPT database) includes the following entries:

• Photographers: 73% N
  • Teachers of art, drama & music: 71% N
  • Artists & entertainers (broad category): 69% N
  • Musicians & composers: 65% N
  • Designers: 58% N
There are no artistic occupations that are majority S.

And the correlation of N with creativity isn't limited to the arts. An entire section of the Manual is devoted to "Studies of Creativity," and they include a series of studies conducted by the Institute for Personality Assessment and Research at UC Berkeley that looked at people who both worked in creative professions and were "selected by peer nomination" as "highly creative." Out of the resulting 107 "highly creative" mathematicians, architects, research scientists and writers, only three were S's. A 2½-page table presents the results of multiple other studies correlating various measures of creativity (from students majoring in the arts to people working in creative fields), and N's are always in the majority — and often quite overwhelmingly.

And all these N majorities are particularly noteworthy in light of the fact that N's are typically reported to make up only around 25-30% of the general population.

As already noted, it's widely accepted (and I agree) that the Big Five Openness to Experience factor is essentially tapping into the same underlying human temperament dimension as MBTI S/N, and being high on Openness (the Big Five equivalent of an N preference) is associated with aesthetic interests of all kinds (in both the verbal and non-verbal arts). The most well-established version of the Big Five is McCrae & Costa's NEO-PI-R, which breaks down each of the five factors into six "facets." The Openness to Experience facets include the following (with quoted descriptions from McCrae & Costa):

• Fantasy: "Individuals who are open to fantasy have a vivid imagination and an active fantasy life. ... They elaborate and develop their fantasies and believe that imagination contributes to a rich and creative life."
  • Aesthetics: "High scorers on this scale have a deep appreciation for art and beauty. ... They need not have artistic talent. ... However, for many of them, interest in the arts will lead them to develop a wider knowledge and appreciation than the average individual."
The Big Five Inventory is one of the more well-regarded (and academically sanctioned) Big Five tests, and its 44 items include the following three (all of which test for Openness to Experience):

• Has few artistic interests [reverse-scored]
  • Values artistic, aesthetic experiences
  • Is sophisticated in art, music, or literature
The official MBTI folks put out Career Reports that show the popularity for each type of "22 broad occupational categories," based on "a sample of more than 92,000 people in 282 jobs who said they were satisfied with their jobs." The sample included 3,230 ISFPs and 4,267 INFPs, so it's a very large sample by personality typology standards.

Here are the "Most Attractive Job Families" (= scores above 60) for ISFPs:

Health Care Support [100]
—Nurse's aide, veterinary assistant, pharmacy aide, physical therapy aide
Architecture and Engineering [91]
—Architect, surveyor, mechanical engineer, chemical engineer
Food Preparation and Service [78]
—Chef, food service manager, bartender, host/hostess
Office and Administrative Support [78]
—Bank teller, receptionist, clerical services, legal secretary
Building and Grounds Maintenance [75]
—Gardener, tree trimmer, housekeeping, lawn service supervisor
Transportation and Materials Moving [66]
—Pilot, air traffic controller, driver, freight handler
Personal Care and Service [64]
—Lodging manager, personal trainer, hairdresser, child care provider

In 19th place (out of 22) for the ISFPs (with a job satisfaction score of 30 out of 100) is the category that includes arts, design, entertainment and media:

Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media
— Artist, coach, musician, reporter

By contrast, here are the "Most Attractive Job Families" for INFPs:

Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media [100]
—Artist, coach, musician, reporter
Education, Library Sciences, and Training [75]
—Schoolteacher, librarian, school administrator, university faculty
Personal Care and Service [71]
Health Care Support [69]
Community and Social Services [68]
—Community service manager, career counselor, clergy, social worker

Prior to the publication of the 1998 edition of the MBTI Manual, the official MBTI folks created a "national sample" of 3,000 people that was tweaked to be a representative sample in a number of respects, and besides typing everybody, they also asked the people in the sample quite a lot of supplemental questions. And one question asked them to indicate how important 11 values were in their lives, on a scale of "Very Important," "Somewhat Important," "Somewhat Unimportant," or "Not Important." And one of those 11 values was "being creative" — and on average, 31% of the entire sample said "being creative" was "very important." But of all the 16 types, can you guess which type was the least likely (just 16%) to rate "being creative" as "very important"? Well, if you guessed ISFP, you are correct. (The ENFPs were #1, with 55% of ENFPs saying "being creative" is "very important.")

Hopefully needless to say, personality type is about tendencies and probabilities, so it's pretty much always inappropriate to say "X type always does that" or "X type never does that." I'm sure virtually every kind of artistic pursuit includes at least a smattering of participants of every possible type. But the OP asked which MBTI types were "more likely" to get into art — and any source that claims that ISFPs are the quintessential artists is a source that's very much at odds with over 50 years of MBTI and Big Five data.

Last edited:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
•pops collar•

For anyone under the mistaken impression that either ISFP or ISTP is a more likely arts-oriented type than INFP or INTP, the opposite is actually true. INFP is arguably the single most likely artist type (with INFJ and INTP both runner-up contenders), while ISFPs and ISTPs are relatively unlikely artist types. The "ISFP as artist" notion came from David Keirsey, and I think Keirsey had quite a few insightful things to say, but the ISFP=artist thing was probably his biggest mistake.

Decades of studies (MBTI and Big Five both) have pretty clearly established that creativity/imagination and artistic interests are quite strongly correlated with an N preference, and this is consistent with both Jung's and Myers' takes on the types, and it applies whether the materials the artist/creator is working with are abstract or concrete (e.g., photographers and painters).

Of the 114 professional fine artists in one study shown in the second edition of the MBTI Manual, 91% of them were N's (65% NF and 26% NT). More specifically, 25 were INFP and only one was ISFP. It's pretty common to find internet forumites assuming that, if the relevant art involves physical materials and tools (like painting), it must be "Se" territory rather than "Ne" territory, but as the Manual explained: "Because true creativity in the arts requires highly differentiated use of tools and materials, one might expect artists to prefer sensing perception rather than intuition. Empirically, N types outnumber S types in art students and among artists. The theoretical explanation is that the insights and inspirations provided by intuition are more important, but true artistic skill requires the development of S skills for use in the service of N inspirations."

I've read this before and found it interesting how most of the visual artists were found to be intuitives. Plenty of professional artwork encompasses a lot of details, which I assumed is a sensing trait. I've always been detail-oriented, and that's why I thought I would be an ISFP, but I don't fully identify with the type either. I wonder what kind of painters they tested were proclaimed to be NFs and NTs. Maybe more N's are fine artists because they actually try to make it a career rather than just a hobby, and more sensors would prefer a more practical career first and foremost and art would be more of a hobby for them? Art and entertainment in general are seen as risky careers where many don't end up making it. Intuitives are known to not be as practical minded as sensors, so maybe that can be a reason why more intuitives are involved in the arts as a career.

Here are the "Most Attractive Job Families" (= scores above 60) for ISFPs:

Health Care Support [100]
Architecture and Engineering [91]
—Architect, surveyor, mechanical engineer, chemical engineer
Food Preparation and Service [78]
—Chef, food service manager, bartender, host/hostess
Office and Administrative Support [78]
—Bank teller, receptionist, clerical services, legal secretary
Building and Grounds Maintenance [75]
—Gardener, tree trimmer, housekeeping, lawn service supervisor
Transportation and Materials Moving [66]
—Pilot, air traffic controller, driver, freight handler
Personal Care and Service [64]

In 19th place (out of 22) for the ISFPs (with a job satisfaction score of 30 out of 100) is the category that includes arts, design, entertainment and media:

Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media
— Artist, coach, musician, reporter

By contrast, here are the "Most Attractive Job Families" for INFPs:

Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media [100]
—Artist, coach, musician, reporter
Education, Library Sciences, and Training [75]
—Schoolteacher, librarian, school administrator, university faculty
Personal Care and Service [71]
Health Care Support [69]
Community and Social Services [68]
—Community service manager, career counselor, clergy, social worker

When I was in school, the top careers I always listed as an interest were art-oriented and nothing of practical matters appealed to me except for architecture and graphic design, which I renounced after realizing I was crap at them and didn't have the passionate drive either. I do relate much more to the INFP list than the ISFP one. Very interesting.