• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me find my enneagram (Typh0n)

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am just looking for honest observations here... I'm not "close" to anyone but I've interacted with alot of people on here, so if you have an idea, it would help.

I think my Socionics type is ENTj/LIE. Which most likely makes me an ENTJ in MBTI.

I do have some ideas but I won't get them out there because I don't want to influence anyone...

I am just wondering what ennegaram type you think I am, and why.

Thanks.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, [MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] thanks for that.

0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

Well, I'm unsure because for along time I related to 4 or 5 when I read the descriptions or took tests, but those are withdrawn types, and considering I went through a long process on PerC trying to find my socionics and everyone agreed that I was ENTj. I even agree, lol. It makes sense, though I don't relate to the dominant, narcissitic, calculating 8 stereotype of ENTj, the non-steeotypical aspect fits well. Its just hard to imagine a Te dominant 4w5.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

Calm and balanced, I guess?

2. Describe yourself--
a. What's it like to be you?
b. What have others said about you?
c. What do you think of yourself?

a. This question makes me LOL I don't know why, whats it like to be mme? I guess I can sometimes have a hard time getting along with people, and sometimes I don't openly express that they annoy me. I used to be more temperamental but now I've become rather easy-going so, being me is not so difficult, at least if I don't have to deal with other people all the time. Its usually others who make me upset - I don't get upset on my own or by myself.

b. That I'm pragmatic and concrete, that I'm sensitive, that I have a good sense of humor. Those are all things I've heard before, I don't know how accurate.

c. I think I am kind of lazy, I have alot of talents, and its too bad since I haven't found my niche in life. I guess I'm just not a very lucky person, though I'm not unlucky enough to have a terminal illness or somethin like that either, I dunno how I would get through then...I just haven't found the right circumstances/environment that allows me to thrive.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

Instablity is one. My parents moved around alot, so I always had to make new friends. As an adult, I find I still don't make long-lasting relations very easily...

I'd rather not go further into this because it is kinda personal :)

4. You're not good at everything--
a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?
b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?

a) Both being unemotional or too over the top in my emotions are impossible for me. I heed the call of feelings when I feel them, but I am not melodramatic either. Also, I cannot spend all of my time "fighting" in the real world, I need time alone, at home.

b) Being emotionally manipulative to get what I want is impossible for me. I am too "logical" a person for that. :)

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

Mainly I'm the one who leaves friendships and relationships often because the other person had deceived me, lied to me, or did some other unethical thing.

6. Which types do you identify with most?
a. How do you relate to these types?
b. How do you NOT relate to them?

Pass because if I knew that I'd be answering my own quest for my type.

7. Which types are least like you?
a. Why specifically do you not relate to these types?
b. What points (if any) DO you relate to?

Again, I'll pass this one

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love?

I don't have an attitude towards finding love and I'm not sure what tis means?

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

"Work more, be productive, you lazy ass bastard!

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

Yeah, its quiet personal...

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

I want to be seen as succesful, powerful, attractive, genuine, real

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.
Spoiler
- to be "okay", having it together 7
- to be devoted and loyal to a person or cause 5
- to be sensitive, original, unique, and creative 7
- to be knowlegeable 8
- to be powerful, strong, unassailable. 7
- to be accomplished and successful 9
- to strive to become/behave like a good person 6
- to be a loveable person 8
- to be loving and benevolent 5

11. Determine your "felt sense" of life. To do this it may help to look at how you perceive events. Another way to do this is to look back at your childhood and think of all the things your parents did to you. How did you/do you feel about these events?

Here are some common "felt senses" of life:
Spoiler
- I must do everything to maintain my world Yes
- I have a sense of being unimportant, insignificant, and underving of attention I wouldn't say that, but I would say sometimes others make me feel this way, probably not on purpose most of the time. Depends on my mood tbh.
- I feel imperfect, not (good) enough Perfection isn't that important to me
- I have been abandoned and I am inherently flawed Resonates with me
- I'm outside the natural unfoldment of things Not sure
- People have wronged and messed with me So so true to me
- I feel isolated, cut off, and ultimately separate So true
- I have felt weak and/or vulnerable to attack Sometimes, but its not common
- I've had a sense of being rejectible Yes

12. Core fears. You may have been aware of these fears even as a very small child, before anyone did anything to influence it. You'd be mortified to be in this position or have others perceive you this way.

Discuss which fears have played the greatest role in your life:
Spoiler
- Creating conflict by making myself or my needs too obvious This one, yes.
- Rejection, being needy, and not being loved Kinda
- Weak and not being on top of things Kinda
- Failure [BYes, this one][/B]
- Being abandoned, sadness, feeling lost This, yes
- Entanglements and losing what I have Very much this
- Something is basically wrong with me--I'm not good enough Not sure
- Boredom, grunt work, and being exposed as a charlatan Never thought about it, but it sounds scary
- A lot--everything and everyone to one degree or another. It's very generalized. Not sure.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see 8w7.

But have you looked into the motivations? That is key.

The Enneagram is a model of nine worldviews and motivations

Here's a quick guide

Heart Types

Type 2
Basic Fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved
Basic Desire: To feel loved

Key Motivations: Want to be loved, to express their feelings for others, to be needed and appreciated, to get others to respond to them, to vindicate their claims about themselves.

Holy Idea: Freedom
Vice: Vainglory
Virtue: Altruism
Basic Drive: To make their ideal image into a reality

Type 3
Basic Fear: Of being worthless
Basic Desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile

Key Motivations: Want to be affirmed, to distinguish themselves from others, to have attention, to be admired, and to impress others.

Holy Idea: Hope
Vice: Deceit
Virtue: Truthfulness
Basic Drive: To be successful

Type 4
Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)

Key Motivations: Want to express themselves and their individuality, to create and surround themselves with beauty, to maintain certain moods and feelings, to withdraw to protect their self-image, to take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else, to attract a "rescuer."

Holy Idea: Origin
Vice: Envy
Virtue: Equanimity (calmness and composure)
Basic Drive: Isolation vs. Connection

Head Types

Type 5
Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

Holy Idea: Omniscience
Vice: Avarice
Virtue: Detachment
Basic Drive: Conservation of Resources

Type 6
Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

Key Motivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity.

Holy Idea: Faith
Vice: Fear
Virtue: Courage
Basic Drive: Survival

Type 7
Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled

Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

Holy Idea: Planning
Vice: Gluttony
Virtue: Sobriety
Basic Drive: Pleasure versus Pain

Body Types

Type 8
Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others
Basic Desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life and destiny)

Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

Holy Idea: Innocence/Truth
Vice: Lust
Virtue: Magnamity
Basic Drive: Survival (edit: since this is the same as a 6's drive, I'd suggest that the basic drive for an 8 is securing resources?)

Type 9
Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"

Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

Holy Idea: Love
Vice: Indifference
Virtue: Serenity
Basic Drive: Peace

Type 1
Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

Holy Idea: Perfection
Vice: Resentment
Virtue: Right Action
Basic Drive: To be incorruptible

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, type 8 sounds like you. Especially the part about having strong desires of being successful and having it together.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION]

I have looked at the motivations, and while I sort of relate to all of them (don't well all, lol), I guess I can relate to the seven a bit more, since its important for me to have my needs/wants fullfilled, and being in pain, especially physical pain, sounds quiet scary. So I guess it kinda stands out. But I've thought about these motivations, and its hard to judge because when we do we try to fit ourselves into a system created by humans, and its hard to say. I could descibe my my motivations, in my own words, but I'm not sure what it would say about my enneagram, lol.

[MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION]

Isn't wanting to be succesful also a trait of type 3? Or do they just want to be SEEN as succesful, lol? I'm not dismissing your viewpoint, just considering different possibilities for now. :)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
E3s enjoy the spotlight and the attention, I think. E8's are more practical and charge headfirst towards their goals, whether that gets them attention or not.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm not sure I do stuff to be in the spotlight. I have goals to get what I want out of life and make sure I am master of my destiny. I don't mind attention, if that happens but I'm not so caught up in it that I live for others approval of me I guess.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION]

What Drives Us? | Nine Paths

This is a pretty good website. It has a lot of first person reaction from all E types about situations or how they think about their own types.

But you'll have to google a lot.....a lot! Explore.

Someone told me once that when going in depth with eanneagram and reading into it more the closer you are to truth the more you will feel slightly uncomfortable.

That's because enneagram gets into our unconscious a bit. We all are a bit of each on the surface but deep down we have a fixed way, what drives us.

Depending upon integration/disintegration (health/unhealth) we can go toward or away from that "fixed" place in different ways but the core is the same.

Like a tree in a light breeze. Roots will stay in the ground.

EDIT:

Here is a good in depth 8 description (at least it's a starting point as any) skip to the description and go all the way to the end.

Don't get too bogged down in numbers/points of disintegration/integration as these profiles go into that for you, you just have to identify something that makes you a little squirmy. If a description does...keep digging.

Enneagram – Type 8 | Jorge Shailer Baker

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION]

What Drives Us? | Nine Paths

This is a pretty good website. It has a lot of first person reaction from all E types about situations or how they think about their own types.

But you'll have to google a lot.....a lot! Explore.

Someone told me once that when going in depth with eanneagram and reading into it more the closer you are to truth the more you will feel slightly uncomfortable.

That's because enneagram gets into our unconscious a bit. We all are a bit of each on the surface but deep down we have a fixed way, what drives us.

Depending upon integration/disintegration (health/unhealth) we can go toward or away from that "fixed" place in different ways but the core is the same.

Like a tree in a light breeze. Roots will stay in the ground.

Great link! Thanks!

I never knew that. I always thought the motivations were more or less conscious. Not necessarily something we are aware of in our day to day life, but always half-conscious, I thought.

Thats why I ask for others opinion, it can sometimes be easier for someone else to see you than to see yourself honestly.

May I ask why you think 8w7? If you don't wanna elaborate thats fine but I am curious.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great link! Thanks!

I never knew that. I always thought the motivations were more or less conscious. Not necessarily something we are aware of in our day to day life, but always half-conscious, I thought.

Thats why I ask for others opinion, it can sometimes be easier for someone else to see you than to see yourself honestly.

May I ask why you think 8w7? If you don't wanna elaborate thats fine but I am curious.

Uneducated first guess. But you mentioned you tested 4/5. That is somewhat important, or at least a good starting point.

I wouldn't worry or get overwhelmed with wings right now.

I would focus on core first but 8 under stress takes on 5ish qualities. When healthy an 8 picks up qualities of a 2.

So there is that. It's a clue. Was there a reason you didn't connect to the 4 or 5 description? Rhetorical. But something for you to think about.

Think of enneagram as the core type is always related to 2 other etypes that influence the core type - negatively or positively.

So, let's say your core is 8. Both 2 and 5 will play a part in expression.

Likewise, if you are a type 7, 1 and 5 play a part.

It's not *completely* separate but you have to narrow down the core FIRST.

----

Anyway, I said 8 because you said you answered "I have felt weak or vulnerable to attack" and you said "sometimes but not common" but you also held a lot close to your chest. Not divulging much. Just your overall answers put me to toward 8w7.

I could be completely wrong here, btw! I don't know you and if you said you were a 1. I'd be like, cool.

Just pointing you to something you can cross out or delve further into.

Last edited:

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uneducated first guess. But you mentioned you tested 4/5. That is somewhat important, or at least a good starting point.

I wouldn't worry or get overwhelmed with wings right now.

I would focus on core first but 8 under stress takes on 5ish qualities. When healthy an 8 picks up qualities of a 2.

So there is that. It's a clue. Was there a reason you didn't connect to the 4 or 5 description? Rhetorical. But something for you to think about.

Think of enneagram as the core type is always related to 2 other etypes that influence the core type - negatively or positively.

So, let's say your core is 8. Both 2 and 5 will play a part in expression.

Likewise, if you are a type 7, 1 and 4 play a part.

It's not *completely* separate but you have to narrow down the core FIRST.

----

Anyway, I said 8 because you said you answered "I have felt weak or vulnerable to attack" and you said "sometimes but not common" but you also held a lot close to your chest. Not divulging much. Just your overall answers put me to toward 8w7.

I could be completely wrong here, btw! I don't know you and if you said you were a 1. I'd be like, cool.

Just pointing you to something you can cross out or delve further into. :)

Alright.

Just to point one thing out; if I'm a 7, I will connect to 1 and 5, not 1 and 4. 7 integrates to 5. ;)

I agree, I'm not very self-revealing in these types of questionnaires...I guess I am not overly comfortable with opening up emotionally. That could sound Eightish, but I'd have to figure out why I'm not so comfortable opening up. Its something to think about, at least.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright.

Just to point one thing out; if I'm a 7, I will connect to 1 and 5, not 1 and 4. 7 integrates to 5. ;)

I agree, I'm not very self-revealing in these types of questionnaires...I guess I am not overly comfortable with opening up emotionally. That could sound Eightish, but I'd have to figure out why I'm not so comfortable opening up. Its something to think about, at least.

Yes. Sorry! Correct. :doh:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I suck at typing people based on written text, but here are some things that helped me find my enneagram:

1. Read all the descriptions, find someone who is the epitome of each one and see what the aspects I share/don't share in common with them.

2. I know I've spent most of my life in the unhealthy zone, so I checked the unhealthy levels of each type and tried to identify which was the process my life had suffered to get to the point I was in (using the levels as stages).

3. Cross out the types that exasperate me (e.g.: e2 - I score 0% and dealing with them makes me cringe most of the times).

4. Understand the differences of the combinations sp/sx/so nad checking out the descriptions of each combination for each type. On the right you have the stackings for each enneatype. I also score differently when I'm at my happiest and saddest (sx/sp and sp/sx, respectively).

Basic and Type Stackings | The Enneagram ...info from the underground.

5. Question: do you really find all enneatypes possible? In my case, e6, e7, e9 and e2 are just the sum of everything I'm not (I'm also not e8, but it's what I aim for when I'm at my finest). I'm not saying one's personality should be really defined by these groups, as they're archetypal guides, and probably there are lot of people who are the grey areas among the types. But maybe giving oneself time for introspection and asking oneself what the motives behind decisions are, or the fears behind the things we reject/avoid/fight against might help.

In general, as an INTP, I always start projects by defining what they're not going to be about. I feel it leaves the "field" clearer to work on the things that could be. So maybe it helps you to wipe out the enneatypes that are not an option and have less material to compare and analyze in depth.

Hope my suggestions were helpful! :)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, it happens to the best of us! :newwink:

giphy.gif

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your Enneagram type is 3W2. It's clear as a bell to me.

Also, there are hints of Borderline Personality Disorder in the OP. If I were you I would at least look into the idea.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
UPDATE: After re-reading the OP, you should also look into 3w4, just because there were type 4 statements there that you weren't certain about. So I'm retaining the idea of you possibly being a 3w4 due to the omissions in your OP. However, type 3 you can be absolutely certain of.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I'm a 3, then definately 3w4 over 3w2. I don't really compete with others at first, just with myself, if I'm in a setting which calls for competition, I can compete with others though.

Also noone on here is a psychologist so please don't say things like "I see signs of borderline personality disorder". Thanks.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I'm a 3, then definately 3w4 over 3w2. I don't really compete with others at first, just with myself, if I'm in a setting which calls for competition, I can compete with others though.

Also noone on here is a psychologist so please don't say things like "I see signs of borderline personality disorder". Thanks.

I predicted that you would dislike my statement about that. People with BPD will do this.