• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or ESFP

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a friend who recently tested as an ENFP, but he's sharply observant and very talented as a car mechanic (and happy being a car mechanic.) I'm still learning about cognitive functions, so I know there's a more in-depth way to type people, but do you think it's more likely that he is an S than an N?

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
N vs S is one of the major dividing force in MBTI (like North and South in a civil war). At the moment He seems to be a likely ENFP due to his test but more information would prove of some use.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I find the difference between N and S to be really hard to distinguish, except that sometimes I can just easily "tell" someone is an N...I don't know how I know. I'm not sure what other information to look for. I just figured someone who is really observant and mechanically inclined would be more likely to be an S.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
I do agree S/N is tricky sometimes. S is typically detail-oriented and experience-based while N is concept-based and focusing on the big picture. Often times though it is too hard to tell so you may see some people simply defined as X like myself. To make the distinction a lot of information is needed and a lot of analysis. Your friend could easily be S but I would not base it off of being mechanically inclined.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was thinking S because being a good car mechanic seems like a hands-on skill that's less in the world of theory. Do you think being mechanically inclined has more to do with T?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't think you can back distinctions like this whether it be S/N or another on profession alone. I am a physicist (Extreme N profession) yet I do not fully know if I am S or N. To figure out S/N you want to understand if he is traditional, detail or big picture oriented, and past or future focused.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not enough information to discern.

MisterNi

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a friend who recently tested as an ENFP, but he's sharply observant and very talented as a car mechanic (and happy being a car mechanic.) I'm still learning about cognitive functions, so I know there's a more in-depth way to type people, but do you think it's more likely that he is an S than an N?

It would be more informing if you described him how he's like outside of his workplace.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hm. Ok. I'll have to think about that and come back to it.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think ESFPs can tend to want to do physical things because they find them gratifying in and of themselves, whereas ENFPs might be more prone to doing them because it inspires them to come up with new ideas.

I think that it's not about whether or not he's a car mechanic, but why he is one. What motivates him to be one?

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
For some reason, I thought car repair would seem like a mundane physical chore to an ENFP. I can't think of ways that it could help someone come up with new ideas and thought of it more as a physical thing that would satisfy an ESFP, but I might just be lacking in knowledge. The thought of what motivates is an interesting one and a good angle to consider. I think I'm going to try to gather more information as a whole.

chado

MBTI Type
infp
how much time do you spend inside your mind?intuitives are always inside there mind,sensors are more in the present,do you like following new ideas?if so you probably enfp,if not esfp,