• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Grandma's type

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Hello all!

The reason I want to type this person is because I am at the same time intrigued and outraged by her.

So, meet my grandmother. She is staying with us for the holidays, however it is very difficult for me to live with such a person.

Some stuff about her:

- has an obsession with re-using absolutely everything, including food (if there are left-overs, even very old, she will cook them again, regardless if they are yet edible or not), basically a recycling mania.

- sticks her nose everwhere and always tell everyone what to do, but not in a polite way. More like giving orders.

- constantly reproaches us that we are not educated, this meaning that we are not orderly at all. She always tells us she can't understand how we can live like this. Two days after she arrived, our stuff was rearranged in the house, for the sole reason that she didn't liked how it looked. She insists on doing the dishes right after we eat. So, if I leave the dishes 15 minutes, probably I'll find them already washed by her, only to be reproached again with the fact that she has to clean our home, even though nobody asked her. All in all, she also has an obsession for order.

- she loves to be the center of attention and has a feeling of superiority towards others. She also exagerates her achievements, from her cooking to her former job.

- is judgemental about other people and critiques them a lot.

I don't know if this helps, so I'll list a few more random stuff:

- one day, she was preparing to take a medicine and I noticed it was expired, so I told her she'd better not take it. She stood by, said nothing, took the medicine and the following day, out of teh blue, she came to me and explained me that she thinks that expiry dates are tricks to make us buy more and more. Weird, huh?

- for years she didn't watch more than 9 channels of TV, only because she "couldn't" learn how to switch to channels with 2 digits, though we had repeteadly shown her how.

- spends each summer in the countryside, growing fruits and vegetables

- loves politics and talking about it

I can't think of any other stuff for the moment, but I am really curious to see what type do you think she is. If you have any questions, shoot them!

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
She sounds fun. And infuriating. But most family is.

A lot of things you described just seemed like she's a product of her upbringing/circumstances, you know? Like not wasting food/ taking expired medicine. She probably called you back later because in the moment she felt a slight moment of not being in-the-know... but refused to admit it at the time and came back later with a strong retort (more fitting with how she wants to portray herself: confident).

And when you get older it can get much harder to pick up new things (like your "changing channels" story).

Last edited:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
My initial response; ESTJ.

- one day, she was preparing to take a medicine and I noticed it was expired, so I told her she'd better not take it. She stood by, said nothing, took the medicine and the following day, out of teh blue, she came to me and explained me that she thinks that expiry dates are tricks to makes buy more and more. Weird, huh?

Extraverted Thinking is stubborn when it comes to relinquishing planning and so when she had already decided to take the medicine your observation was an unwanted thorn in the side. It would have been very hard for her at that point to not take the medicine, but afterwards she was left with the task of dismissing it in a reasonable fashion. When she told you her suspicion of of the cynicism behind expiry dates she was also trying to convince herself that she had done the right thing.

Once Extraverted Thinking has made a decision it doesn't allow in new information to influence its reasoning. This is the basic differences between Js & Ps.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Well, to me she sounds very stubborn. And very J.

As to the channel story, I mean,... how hard is it to change a channel? Those are made for dummies to say so.

But what type do you think she is? I am fairly confident that all her traits, even though they come from circumstances and upbringing have developed on a certain basis, so I'd really want to know her type...

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
The remote controls of the TV, I mean.
What I wanted to say was that those are made for dummies. Nothing more.
"to say so" was added just to emphasize my opinion...

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, to me she sounds very stubborn. And very J.

As to the channel story, I mean,... how hard is it to change a channel? Those are made for dummies to say so.
I know it might sound weird, but I think I've done this before, too. (not saying necessarily she's an STJ, but everyone's probably already thinking it)

If she's like me, it's just because she likes doing things the way she's always been doing them. And it's been working so well for so long, that she doesn't want to think about changing it. I did this recently with learning how to Multi-quote on this site. It wasn't that difficult, once I took about 5 seconds to figure it out.