• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Conflict - INTP conflict avoidant and ENTP conflict tolerant/seeking?

messijo

MBTI Type
entp
As per the title - is it typical that INTP are conflict avoidant, and ENTP can tolerate or even seek out conflict?

e.g. I (ENTP) would rather interact with someone, even on an adversarial basis, than withdraw. Not sure if that's just an I/E thing.

Asking from personal experience, to resolve a little internal conflict I have...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I would consider INTPs as conflict avoidant.

gordonlevitate11

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm INTP and I avoid conflict if I don't know the person very well, but am comfortable with reasonable conflict if I know and understand the person.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I'm INTP, and I believe it all depends on the situation. It's mostly (at least to me) about how much "irrationality" you can tolerate before opening your mouth. I avoid conflict when it's "convenient" or when it's something I don't care about (e.g.: politics - I may think someone's wrong, but, as I'm not willing to waste energy debating something I don't care about, I shut up). About "convenience", a professor may say something wrong and I know that telling him so will ruin my grade, so I shut up... Hooooowever, if I feel the professor is playing with my patience, I may "set things straight" and risk the grade (and everything else). I've done that more times than fingers in my hands and it's kind of frustrating because everybody knows me as the quirky girl that never speaks, and every time I open my mouth is to drop H-bombs, so everybody looks at me, which makes me feel uncomfortable so I go back to quirky-silent (one of those times I wish I had a squid ink system to disappear into thin air).

As for my ENTP friends and acquaintances, they do that all the time, only that they like feeling "rebellious".

Mr Troll

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bs
In case of ENTPs it is not really about conflict. INFPs might see it as conflict seeking. If you can not handle Ti, then I'm sorry. :dry:Leaving stuff out there hovering and letting people to draw conclusions, I'm sorry ISFPs, grow a brain. :bye:

baccheion

I'm not conflict avoidant, and I'm also not afraid of conflict, but I try to avoid it if possible. I see it as a waste of time and energy (especially as it involves talking and a redirection of attention). Also, I see no reason to create a situation where none needs to exist. That is, I can bend a lot to not be bothered with the tedium, distress, and "long term" of conflict. Also, I don't like dealing with people's BS, and the "make up" part of a conflict seems scripted, cliche, and full of it to me (fake, plastic, meaningless, tedious, time consuming, etc).

Usually when I hear conflict avoidant + INTP, it's usually someone trying to make some claim that pushes the INTP over the thinker/feeler line to feeler.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I could maybe see INTP, not ENTP. I don't even know that they see conflict as conflict.