• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP with a Fear of Intimacy Now Ignoring Me

CandyCane11

It has been three months since we've spoken. He won't really answer me. I sent one email that was an "I wish I had understood you better...I should have...." and then five easy going/light/funny texts. He did reply in emojis to the fourth one.

The backstory:

We began talking online through social media. I liked him instantly. I could tell he had an interest. We laughed a lot. But he didn't ask me out. My friends were all telling me to ask him out, but I had had a bad breakup 9 months before and wanted to ensure I was completely over it because this guy was special. So I kept it at friendship. I was feeling close to ready and after five months of fun consistent conversations, he lets it out that he has feelings for me. Apparently, he had also had a bad breakup too, not too long after mine. The difference is that his relationship was SIX years long. I asked him over and over again if he was ready. He said he was. We were going to have a date, but some things happened with his job that held it up. We talked for another two months and got really close. We finally went out and had an amazing time. The following week, we talked about some future things and when we'd see each other again.

About a week later, he was distant. I asked him what was wrong. He told me we had to stop things. He said he had relived the time we spent together and how well it went, how well it would continue to go, and he thought, "what if this ends?" And he suddenly had intense anxiety not wanting to go through the pain of a breakup again. He said I was perfect for him and that he thought of me all the time but maybe we should stop talking. He cried, and I cried, and I asked if we could just be friends, but he said he couldn't turn off his emotions like that. We didn't make any decisions though I offered to give him space which he thought was a good idea, but he didn't take it and kept talking to me.

Long story short, things went downhill quickly. He withdrew but would come around. Was cold but emotional. I found out he started dating in a very shallow way. I think he was trying to distance himself from me. He told me he wanted to go numb. We had numerous conversations about it all, and I know he tried to be honest about all of it (we are both fairly mature in our 30s). The conversations became draining and he got annoyed with me and told me I was being judgmental and no longer understanding him (as opposed to how he told me I understood him so well). I tried to stop talking to him about a week before I actually did. He thought I was trying to get him to chase me, but I was really just trying to stop the pain and confusion on my end. When I confirmed he was dating, I let all the frustrating emotions out on him. Not in a mean way, but more in a "how could you do this to me? That was just cruel" kind of way. He got mad. We both said we were done. I removed him from social media online.

After my anger settled, I tried to truly understand and see where he was and what transpired. I feel like I got a good picture of it. I sent him the email that was essentially an apology. I didn't conclude anything ("let's talk again" etc). I found out he seemed to be doing better and I know he longs for the same type of relationship I do but needs things incredibly slow. I'd really just like to talk to him again. After the email a few weeks later I sent a funny text of something that reminded me of him. I have sent a few more, spaced quite a bit apart. I did get the one tiny response. My messages never ask for anything in return. And I don't complain that he doesn't respond. We reconnected a bit on social media. I took that as he wasn't mad. He's kind of drifted off of there though in the last month.

I don't want to pressure or force him (I've had that done to me and it's awful). I don't want him to feel bad or anxious. I don't want to start any serious conversations with him. I don't need to talk about what happened. And I don't need anything emotional from him. I really would just like to talk to him again....even if as friends or even if very slowly...just to know how he is doing occasionally. And maybe I face being ignored sometimes, and that is okay. I don't know if that is the right thing to do though or if I make things worse. I just care about him a lot.

I'd appreciate any INFP thoughts. Have you ever been in this place? What is the best way to handle it?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Doesn't sound like a good idea to get back into that situation. If he's distant and trying to end it, that's significant. INFPs generally don't do that lightly. Even if he comes round, it probably won't be the same. Once that line has been drawn it's near impossible to get an INFP to go back on it.

He's probably completely emotionally overwhelmed and trying to recentre himself. It can just get to a point where it's too hard to deal with people and meet communication obligations. OTOH maybe he just wants to make a clean break for the everyone's sake, and spare each other the confusion that went on previously.

If you really must try to contact him, wait a while before doing it again - a couple of months. And don't expect too much either. Make it clear you only want to be friends (and really mean it when you say it).

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you really must try to contact him, wait a while before doing it again - a couple of months. And don't expect too much either. Make it clear you only want to be friends (and really mean it when you say it).

I totally agree with this!

However, I'd caution you right now that it is very hard to "just be friends", especially because I feel that you still have feelings for him. You're just going to get more hurt if he doesn't reciprocate the feelings. The best thing you can do right now is focus on yourself and try to move on, and see if in a few months you still want to be friends.

Anyways, I wish you the best. :hug:

CandyCane11

Doesn't sound like a good idea to get back into that situation. If he's distant and trying to end it, that's significant. INFPs generally don't do that lightly. Even if he comes round, it probably won't be the same. Once that line has been drawn it's near impossible to get an INFP to go back on it. He's probably completely emotionally overwhelmed and trying to recentre himself. It can just get to a point where it's too hard to deal with people and meet communication obligations. OTOH maybe he just wants to make a clean break for the everyone's sake, and spare each other the confusion that went on previously. If you really must try to contact him, wait a while before doing it again - a couple of months. And don't expect too much either. Make it clear you only want to be friends (and really mean it when you say it).

Maybe it wasn't long enough. I waited a month and a half. Before I started reaching out. And I spaced apart communications. The reason I reached out is because of something he said to a friend about feeling ready for something more serious.
I figured if this was all due to his fears and had nothing to do with me like he said, that he would be okay talking to me again.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Men are pretty consistent beings, for the most part. He has shown you signs again and again that he just doesn't see a future with you at all, and has even told you this to your face. There's nothing there for you to fix, I'm afraid. Get a move on and find someone else who can go wild with passion over you rather than settling for a lukewarm romance.

CandyCane11

Men are pretty consistent beings, for the most part. He has shown you signs again and again that he just doesn't see a future with you at all, and has even told you this to your face. There's nothing there for you to fix, I'm afraid. Get a move on and find someone else who can go wild with passion over you rather than settling for a lukewarm romance.
That's a very simple take on things. Emotions and fears aren't always that simple. Plus most men aren't INFPs. I don't really take gender into account as a result.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a very simple take on things. Emotions and fears aren't always that simple. Plus most men aren't INFPs. I don't really take gender into account as a result.

He was pretty simple in his own emotional involvement with you. Don't you believe that you deserve something better?
Just wondering.

CandyCane11

He was pretty simple in his own emotional involvement with you. Don't you believe that you deserve something better? Just wondering.
Of course I do. But I can't blame him for what he's been through.
Emotional involvement with an infp is never simple.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course I do. But I can't blame him for what he's been through.
Emotional involvement with an infp is never simple.

He's got his own issues that he has to figure out, without your involvement.
I know it sucks to like someone and them just not wanting things to get more serious. I get it.
INFP men are really special, but his type has nothing to do with his problems right now.

But just think to yourself, would the perfect man for you make you feel anxious and heartbroken like you are now?
Of course not. He would never. (;

You go find him now. And I ain't talking about your ex!

CandyCane11

He's got his own issues that he has to figure out, without your involvement. I know it sucks to like someone and them just not wanting things to get more serious. I get it. INFP men are really special, but his type has nothing to do with his problems right now. But just think to yourself, would the perfect man for you make you feel anxious and heartbroken like you are now? Of course not. He would never. (; You go find him now. And I ain't talking about your ex!

I agree that he does have his own issues. And we even talked about him having to figure them out on his own. But what if he is ready now? Or even later? I'd like to know.
No man is perfect and every man will cause heartbreak. Besides it's not a matter of perfection but timing.
I do look elsewhere. I'm way too idealist though. It'll be awhile before I find someone even close to him. So then I wonder if he's ready. And I try again...

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But what if he is ready now? Or even later?

He'll find you and will let you know. Trust me.
Don't wait around for him, though. Date other guys and have fun. You'll find a better one soon.

Star Atlas

For what it is worth, I concur with the apt advice that [MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] has been giving in this thread.

I wish I could post something that would solve your issue or give you the key to the door to the city he is hiding out in, but I cannot.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
All the posts you have here are about you ex's. It may be a good idea to try to learn a little more about yourself before you try to figure out what is wrong with them.

CandyCane11

All the posts you have here are about you ex's. It may be a good idea to try to learn a little more about yourself before you try to figure out what is wrong with them.
I'm assuming from your post that you have a successful relationship since you've never had relationship issues. Please share your secrets.

CandyCane11

He'll find you and will let you know. Trust me. Don't wait around for him, though. Date other guys and have fun. You'll find a better one soon.
I have thought about this. That he knows I'm here.
However there was some story about a friend he loved but never dated. And apparently she loved him back....
He didn't find her.
I don't know. You're probably right.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm assuming from your post that you have a successful relationship since you've never had relationship issues. Please share your secrets.

That's not how it works.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
says who? Or is it that you don't really have grounds to be so judgmental and accusatory?

Says me. I wasn't being judgmental or accusatory but I can be if you really want. You have 2 failed relationships. The common denominator in both of those relationships was you. You will never have a successful relationship until you take a honest look at yourself. Stop blaming these two guys, stop mocking the one that took SIX YEARS to get over his last one - you are on the road to doing the same thing.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have thought about this. That he knows I'm here.
However there was some story about a friend he loved but never dated. And apparently she loved him back....
He didn't find her.
I don't know. You're probably right.

That's why I am advising you to date other men and try to forget your ex in case he never does come back.

CandyCane11

Says me. I wasn't being judgmental or accusatory but I can be if you really want. You have 2 failed relationships. The common denominator in both of those relationships was you. You will never have a successful relationship until you take a honest look at yourself. Stop blaming these two guys, stop mocking the one that took SIX YEARS to get over his last one - you are on the road to doing the same thing.

This wasn't a relationship.
Also for my age, that's not a bad number of failed relationships.
You may want to check your reading comprehension skills. You have many errors in your post.