User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This is an INxx thing, unless I'm actually an NF. I just can't communicate in person, like, at all. I stop making sense. Online I seem intelligent and logical and I make a lot of good points, but in real life my mind just sort of turns off.
    Previous username: EliaBlack
    Likes Cloudpatrol, RobinSkye, Lia_kat liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I communicate much more clearly and detailed n writing. I get embarrassed and lose my train of thought too much in person. My head doesn't make much sense either, that's why I have to translate from "in my head" to "in writing" to edit my thoughts for clarity.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

May I just interrupt this little INFP chit chat go say: It's just you? I dont have problems expressing myself, it actually helps me think. Preferably in person so I can analyse body language, if not then on the phone, if not by writing.
    I think it's just an introvert/extrovert thing...
    Likes Cloudpatrol, HongDou liked this post

Enneagram
    6w7

1. In head: The thinking that goes on in my head is actually very difficult to describe - almost ethereal. Trying to explain it feels like trying to grab dust particles in a sun ray. I think it's an interesting mix of words, pictures, music, and feelings. Come to think of it, I think feelings compose a great deal of my cognition. I can feel something without being able to attach words to it. This makes introspection very convenient, but it can also be frustrating; my mind is thick with thoughts, and it can be hard to reason when there's so much going on. So that leads me to...

2. Writing: I'm far more eloquent in writing than in person. If I need to make a point, especially a complex one, I'll need to write it out. Keeping a diary has also been highly beneficial for me. It gives me the opportunity to think and reason, rather than feel, for a change. Whenever I'm sad, I just bring out my journal. The entries start off very fragmented and distressed, but they become smoother and more objective by the end. Rereading them lets me tangibly see how my thought process becomes more reasonable. The solace I find in journaling is immense.
    Sometimes I find that I can get too personal in writing. After all, I'm doing it mostly in privacy. This has actually been a problem at school with personal reflections or other assignments. I get caught up in the writing process and forget that it isn't my diary, and I end up turning something in that's way too personal. Writing gives me that boldness. I never would've have revealed any of that if I'd been talking about it.

3. In person: If I want to be funny or witty, I'm better in person. I'm not sure why. My sense of humor loses its appeal in writing. Speaking to somebody can also help with overwhelming emotions; because I'm such a feelery person, it can be really difficult to see things as they are in an objective light. I don't like to get overly personal unless I know the person well (then I really go all out). One thing I've noticed about myself is that I plan much of what I'm going to say beforehand, and then kind of read it off like a script (this applies mostly for school or group discussions). Otherwise I'm stumped.

As for phone conversations, that's just a mess. I hate talking on the phone. It's just a race to how quick I can end the conversation.
    6w7 // 2w3 // xxx
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    I hate talking on the phone. It's just a race to how quick I can end the conversation.
    We cured neurosis in children by talking to them on the phone.

The phone depends upon spontaneity and reciprocity, we can't use the phone alone and the phone encourages spontaneous expression.

And we found by encouraging spontaneity and reciprocity on the phone, it was easier to transfer this learning to face to face conversation.

It appears introverts hate talking on the phone, but learning to be spontaneous and reciprocate is very important in the personal growth of introverts.

And indeed introverts can and do learn to be spontaneous and to reciprocate from their deeper self. So mature introverts offer a richer conversation.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, fetus liked this post

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    3. In person: If I want to be funny or witty, I'm better in person. I'm not sure why. My sense of humor loses its appeal in writing.
    So much humour depends on timing. I personally think that I'm hilarious both in person and in writing, thank you very much, but the kind of wit I make in person will often revolve around swiftly turning an idea on its head, perhaps pointing out an inconsistency in what was said, or maybe intentionally interpreting it in the wrong way... a lot of the humour comes from the way the momentum of the conversation was struck, the surprise element. Or so my present analysis says. If the same joke were made online, it would appear simplistic, due to internet communication allowing for greater time of expression, and would not shift the momentum of the conversation nearly as much, as conversations in person are much more contained and sensitive to disruption.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, fetus liked this post

@Mole! Glad to see you joined the conversation.

I agree regarding the dynamics of expressing things to people face to face and how beneficial that can be. For instance, I find that (although sometimes initially 'scary') if I have an issue with someone it is far better to go directly to them and discuss it then to gripe or talk behind that person's back. Often, we both find there is more to the matter than we thought and end up with a better quality relationship.

That is fascinating re: children being treated with telephone use. It does seem intrinsic - this form of communication - with children. If you give a toddler a telephone in play or even a toy plastic banana (laughs) they will often immediately put it to their ear and conduct a conversation with an imaginary partner on the other end

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    So much humour depends on timing. I personally think that I'm hilarious both in person and in writing, thank you very much, but the kind of wit I make in person will often revolve around swiftly turning an idea on its head, perhaps pointing out an inconsistency in what was said, or maybe intentionally interpreting it in the wrong way... a lot of the humour comes from the way the momentum of the conversation was struck, the surprise element. Or so my present analysis says. If the same joke were made online, it would appear simplistic, due to internet communication allowing for greater time of expression, and would not shift the momentum of the conversation nearly as much, as conversations in person are much more contained and sensitive to disruption.
    What a grandly eloquent description of what humour can be in it's finest forms!

I appreciated your answer to my question.

I know that I can find it confusing when I am not getting much feedback. I have a friend who is very sparse with his responses and appreciates being understood without much talking. I am not around him enough to observe closely and so don't have a good grasp on 'knowing who/what he is without language'. Thus, I found myself "guessing" sometimes which seemed to irritate him. So, instead for a time I became short with my replies also.

Eventually I decided to just be myself and he does not seem to mind answering questions when I ask, so I persist with the friendship. I think we both find each other's styles a bit difficult to manoeuvre around but are willing to try. His girlfriend and mom on the other hand seem to just 'get him' and don't seem to need much in the way of spoken interaction which confirms my belief there are the perfect lids for every pot

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    May I just interrupt this little INFP chit chat go say: It's just you? I dont have problems expressing myself, it actually helps me think. Preferably in person so I can analyse body language, if not then on the phone, if not by writing.
    I think it's just an introvert/extrovert thing...

Appreciate your perspective. I think your way sounds lovely & admire people in my life who have this ability to be expressive in the moment!
    Likes pinkgraffiti liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by EliaBlack View Post
    This is an INxx thing, unless I'm actually an NF. I just can't communicate in person, like, at all. I stop making sense. Online I seem intelligent and logical and I make a lot of good points, but in real life my mind just sort of turns off.
    Completely unrelated sidepoint: Have you seen the touching film "Twinsters" on Netflix? Your "Boop" always puts me in mind of the "Pop" from that movie