• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP keeps asking me how I'm feeling....

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm seeing a disconect between you two where the N function is concerned. INTJ123, I think your problem is not with P types in general, but with rampant Ne. As you specified, the overabundance of theories without anything concrete. Please refer to my above post. Without understanding your intent, I was unable to provide concrete advice. If I understand your intent correctly, the only option is clear. Remember that ENFPs primary function is Ne. They excel at coming up with more scenarios than they know what to do with.

five sounds, remember Ni is different. It's the primary function of the INTJ. It deals with learning how something works, not just being curious about the backstory. Thus his reaction of feeling like you are trying to pick him apart when you think you're not. Simple Ne-Ni disconnect.

Gawain, you precious peacemaker. I think you're right. I was planning on responding to the 'thinking' vs 'feeling' language thing INTJ123 mentioned, because I don't think that's really it. I love when intjs talk thinking language and I enjoy participating as well. I know my Te isn't as cool as yours, but I still like to use it and extra enjoy a brainy INTJ to talk about it with and ask a million questions to.
[MENTION=7272]INTJ123[/MENTION] I actually laughed at what you said about our lives being a disaster. I'm not offended and I don't doubt that by your standards, my ideal life is a complete mess (let alone my actual life which is sometimes messier than I want).

I think of vulnerability as strength. Straight up. I'm not the only one who sees it that way either.

And all four of those responses are PERFECT! I bet you'd be surprised how well she responds to what you're seeing as brutal honesty you think you need to protect her from. She knows you're not a feelball.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm seeing a disconect between you two where the N function is concerned. INTJ123, I think your problem is not with P types in general, but with rampant Ne. As you specified, the overabundance of theories without anything concrete. Please refer to my above post. Without understanding your intent, I was unable to provide concrete advice. If I understand your intent correctly, the only option is clear. Remember that ENFPs primary function is Ne. They excel at coming up with more scenarios than they know what to do with.

five sounds, remember Ni is different. It's the primary function of the INTJ. It deals with learning how something works, not just being curious about the backstory. Thus his reaction of feeling like you are trying to pick him apart when you think you're not. Simple Ne-Ni disconnect.

Sorry I can't just take what she said and imagine what she wants me to imagine. Whatever it was, it was too idealistic, and there's nothing to suggest intj's are even better off being vulnerable, or you would think there would be better threads on it, but most just end in confusion because it's not real, it's some silly girl's dreams sorry to say(or even worse a feminist's dream, there is no way I'm watching those ted talks....).

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry I can't just take what she said and imagine what she wants me to imagine. Whatever it was, it was too idealistic, and there's nothing to suggest intj's are even better off being vulnerable, or you would think there would be better threads on it, but most just end in confusion because it's not real, it's some silly girl's dreams sorry to say(or even worse a feminist's dream, there is no way I'm watching those ted talks....).

Welp it looks like your mind's made up. Sounds like you're not really interested in her.

Hapyniss

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Hmmm thanks, that gives me just a little more insight.

But I actually just watched an enfp intj relationship video on youtube where the enfp complained about the intj and how he shares his feelings. She said she "feels" like he's "thinking his feelings" for her, not sharing true feelings.

I keep wondering what the hell would an intj sharing his feelings look like?

To be honest, in my youth I was with an enfp and she got me to share tons of feelings and she was the only girl I told that I loved her, even though there were several more after her. But it never seems like an enfp can get enough of "feelings". It's really beyond me what they really SEE as feelings.

Is it possible for a thinker and a feeler to say the exact same sentence, but it's interpreted as more feeling or thinking by people simply by tone of voice or facial expressions?
Do I have to act like a Disney character for an enfp to finally see emotion in me?
I know this is long, but incredibly worth the read.

But I actually just watched an enfp intj relationship video on youtube where the enfp complained about the intj and how he shares his feelings. She said she "feels" like he's "thinking his feelings" for her, not sharing true feelings.
Try to think of it this way. Most people that you answer "how are you feeling" with your little white lie just skip over the fact that you're telling one. They don't really know you are, or care to know that you are. (Which you've interpreted on your own really well as you've described.)

Well...ENFPs already know what you're feeling without "knowing" what you're feeling. We can sense (Ne) that there is something dishonest amiss but are looking for validation from the person telling the white lie, that it's a white lie. If you continue to tell the white lie, this triggers our Fi. Hence the NF loop that continues into a death spiral. Extroverted intuition requires validation externally. And because our Te is weak, we can't articulate this experience very much the way that INTJs have a hard time expressing their ideas/thoughts/feelings due to Fi. So it looks like ENFP complaining, using all the wrong words, or inadequate ones, to describe this experience. We want INTJ to talk to us from Fi, not Te. But you guys don't live there.

Conversely, when an ENFP is evolving, and begins to trust their intuition rather than seeking that validation from others - which is the case with most underdeveloped types - WATCH OUT! That evolving ENFP is a powerful force to be reckoned with. NO ONE CAN HIDE! YOUR SECRETS ARE NOT SAFE! They'll cut through the armor of any INTJ in a relatively short time. So intimidating, but intriguing for the INTJ to experience. And the right ENFP will be responsible with this vulnerability, and appreciate its existence.

Now...how the INTJ continues in this scenario will determine the fate of the relationship.

I keep wondering what the hell would an intj sharing his feelings look like?

Probably what you looked like when you were sharing with your original ENFP. It looks different but means the same. That's why other people don't "get" INTJs the way that ENFP's do. ENFP's are more trusting of our intuition and can pick up on the subtleties of an INTJ emoting. Most people can't do that. It's really the Ne, Fi relationship that thwarts Te and exposes Fi, surging it to the surface. I've seen INTJ's experience emotions they didn't even know were percolating in the presence of an ENFP.

To be honest, in my youth I was with an enfp and she got me to share tons of feelings and she was the only girl I told that I loved her, even though there were several more after her. But it never seems like an enfp can get enough of "feelings". It's really beyond me what they really SEE as feelings.

Welcome to the lovely and colorful world of NeFi my friend. How did she get you to open up? What types of conversations did you have with her?

ENFPs love connecting. Tee hee! Pay attention to that word when dealing with ENFP.

You know the way that NTJs take peoples ideas, and answers to questions, and create a generalized view of the type of person they're dealing with? Well...ENFPs do that too. Only difference, we use how others feel to determine our view of them.

Here's the deal IMO...it's our Ne vs. your Ni. We are constantly picking up on little vibes, body language cues, facial expressions, actions, and expressions that others emote to extrapolate the "true self" the other person is trying to hide/cover up/protect. So in the way that NTJ's ask probing questions to get to the mushy core of people, and some of those questions are intimate, deeply rooted, painful experiences they ask about, NTJs are getting to know the real person, not the facade.

ENFPs are just as gifted because we intuitively understand that NTJs are less adept with their emotional selves than their Te selves. So if we can get you to function from Fi, we'll get to know the real you more quickly - we like efficiency too - and get to the good stuff that we really like and appreciate (i.e. connection). We're not huge fans of small talk either, but understand the value.

So the trick with any ENFP/INTJ relationship is maintaining that connection. So, riddle me this... If an INTJ can figure out how to maintain that connection with/to me, I'd pounce, he can have all of me, putty in his hands, I'll marry him, be faithful to him, give him the most amazing sexual experience I can physically muster, and never stray. That's what I truly crave to have with another human being on this planet.

Is it possible for a thinker and a feeler to say the exact same sentence, but it's interpreted as more feeling or thinking by people simply by tone of voice or facial expressions?

No. It's not. But it is possible for them to mean the same things using different sentences. NTJ's use Te as their main channel for communicating and connecting. A very effective tool for articulation. NFPs use Ne - not feelings. We just use "feelings" words because there really aren't words for intuitive language. Not a very effective tool with INTJ. There is a lot of verbal misunderstanding. The only language this couple can effectively speak is trust. (Good luck INTJ, good luck)

These are not the same "sentence" or words, but the greater concept could be a parallel artery between the two. If an ENFP can trust their intuition and develop their Ni instead of defaulting to Ne, and an INTJ can develop their Fi instead of defaulting to Te, it can be a more fulfilling relationship for them both.
I believe this is why Keirsey considers this an "ideal" combination. Both people have to stretch, work, develop, and grow within the relationship in order for the full potential of the relationship and the individuals within it to truly bond deeply with one another, reaching their full potential.

Do I have to act like a Disney character for an enfp to finally see emotion in me?

Not a Disney character. No. But you do have to be totally, completely, genuinely, openly, deeply, honest (welcome to the INTJ nightmare) with one or you'll constantly trigger their NF loop. Even a little white lie is devastating to an ENFP.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Welp it looks like your mind's made up. Sounds like you're not really interested in her.

Just because I don't get along with you, does not mean I won't get along with her. And I really do like you, it's just that you went a little overboard there trying to make me imagine something without really telling me what it really is to be vulnerable in the way you wish, you told me what it ISN'T by saying it's not pain or whatnot, but you did not tell me what it is well enough. I'm pretty sure everyone reading is also not going to get what you were trying to define as the vulnerability you wish to see in intj's.

It's also your lack of awareness that intj's appreciate directness......while you would more appreciate diplomacy. I've really tried to be diplomatic on my part, but have you tried to be more direct on yours? Or did I have to start complaining....

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just because I don't get along with you, does not mean I won't get along with her. And I really do like you, it's just that you went a little overboard there trying to make me imagine something without really telling me what it really is to be vulnerable in the way you wish, you told me what it ISN'T by saying it's not pain or whatnot, but you did not tell me what it is well enough. I'm pretty sure everyone reading is also not going to get what you were trying to define as the vulnerability you wish to see in intj's.

No I was responding to your mention of feminism and TED talks. If you don't wanna share in her world with her and don't want to let her into yours by not expressing your thoughts (your 4-point list) to her, then I just don't know what else is left to even call a relationship to be honest. I did give you examples. Remember I got excited about picking good ones? I don't know you well enough to tell you what you could open up more about.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
No I was responding to your mention of feminism and TED talks. If you don't wanna share in her world with her and don't want to let her into yours by not expressing your thoughts (your 4-point list) to her, then I just don't know what else is left to even call a relationship to be honest. I did give you examples. Remember I got excited about picking good ones? I don't know you well enough to tell you what you could open up more about.

That wasn't my 4 point list. Calm down. But yea so what if I don't like ted talks and feminism? Is that your bible or something?

Anyways, I like stupid girls who don't even know what feminism is about but dressing slutty, and doesn't have a clue what ted talks is.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That wasn't my 4 point list. Calm down. But yea so what if I don't like ted talks and feminism? Is that your bible or something?

Anyways, I like stupid girls who don't even know what feminism is about but dressing slutty, and doesn't have a clue what ted talks is.

Whoa. That's not my bible but if that's what she's into then maybe she wants to share it with you cuz it's a part of her. And maybe she wants to share in your thinky shit too cuz she's into you. That's all I'm trying to say.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Whoa. That's not my bible but if that's what she's into then maybe she wants to share it with you cuz it's a part of her. And maybe she wants to share in your thinky shit too cuz she's into you. That's all I'm trying to say.

She looked at my thinky stuff on my phone and went bleehhblurrblah.... but she's awesome....

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She looked at my thinky stuff on my phone and went bleehhblurrblah.... but she's awesome....

Cool. Maybe next time she asks you to open up you can equate it to that for her. She probably doesn't realize that.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ex "best lover" is an ENFP, each time we talk we have such a deep connection and ...this is true : feelings are very important to most healthy ENFP. I must say they are to me too !

But let's not forget they love humour, so personally, if an ENFP or whatever type asks me "How are you",

my answer will depend of how close I feel with that person that will dare asking me :dry:

Generally I want the best for myself so I say to strangers "Yes, I'm ok". I must say I rarely say it with a smile as I don't think this question is important or even serious,

just conventional politeness. Maybe when you say "I'm good" to an ENFP, he/she is waiting to see that

enthusiastic face of yours all shining with rays of rainbows and stars in your eyes:wubbie:.

Try it :newwink:

humblebee

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to ask this of my INTP ex all the time: to stop what he's thinking, become aware of feelings I assumed to be present, and relay them to me in a clear and concise manner.

Of course I didn't realize this is what I was asking of him. I just wanted to know what was going on and connect with him. We later learned how to manage, and communicate more effectively, but it was tricky for a while.

Personally, if I ask someone I care for how they are feeling, it's because I either sense that they are a little off, different from their normal baseline somehow (walking speed, posture, fidgety, distracted, etc) and I want to know why this is and if it's my doing, or if I can be helpful about it.

humblebee

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, and if you're feeling crappy, you can say so. Honesty is what I'm after. Not trying to force someone to smile on cue. I'm not troubled that someone seems unhappy. That's okay for them to be. I just want to know what it's about, and that helps me feel closer to them.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Cool. Maybe next time she asks you to open up you can equate it to that for her. She probably doesn't realize that.

hey who edited the thread? lol..... I'm not even going to bother asking why...

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only ever ask people how they're feeling when I'm worried they are angry with me or upset with something I did. And I will continue asking until I sense they're being honest with me. If I were you, I would be completely honest with the person who's asking the question. But then again I'm not an ENFP. And I once answered "How are you?" with "Why do you ask?" so my advice may be a bit hypocritical.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Someone edited it?

Lol, too much real talk?

Hello wonderful. You know you really helped me gain understanding of what's happening between me and her, you reminded me of her a lot.

And yes it was edited, I have a pretty good memory....

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello wonderful. You know you really helped me gain understanding of what's happening between me and her, you reminded me of her a lot.

Aw, so glad I could help! Sorry for any tension along the way.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Aw, so glad I could help! Sorry for any tension along the way.

Well you helped by pretty much annoying me exactly how she does lol..... that tension was necessary for me to really understand.