User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Bodies the Exhibition

I just saw Bodies yesterday and I highly recommend seeing it if it's in your area.

What was interesting about the exhibit was to see humans and our body parts displayed in ways that are usually reserved for animals and pottery shards from ancient cultures. The bodies where sliced and diced any way you can imagine, with clamps pulling back muscle and tendons so we could see inside.

One thing I noticed is that they used one whole female cadaver in the exhibit. I don't know if a spleen or kidney's former owner was a woman, but I would've liked to have seen more female cadavers. There was some contreversy over how the exhibitors acquired the bodies on display.

I also noticed most of my friends didn't want to see the exhibit because they thought it was too morbid. That thought never crossed my mind, although I got a little squeamish over some parts.

Is it bad to say I really wanted a nice juicy steak after?

MBTI
    type

It's coming here in a month and I'm excited. I'm such an anatomy geek.

IIRC, the controversy is mostly around mimics of the original artist.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I just found out about this yesterday. It's here until August. I seem to be the only person I know who wants to see it.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

They had this at the Minnesota Science Museum a little while back. Toonia and I saw it. They had a human brain under a glass dome. There appeared to be some kind mold or mildew on one side of the brain stem, which made Toonia really sick. But I explained to her, That's what the Science Museum is for; molding young minds. It didn't seem to help.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've seen stuff about one of the other "Bodies"-copycats (I forget what that one is called).

I'm both unnerved and fascinated by the whole thing. I find the ability to view a real human body in exquisite detail fascinating... but at the same time that damnable empathy sense keeps telling me "This was a real human being, just like you, with hopes and dreams and a life and a name and..." and then I get sort of shaken. Although I'd still go, hands-down, to look. The curiosity is far stronger than the emotional distress.

Many people do seem to think it's morbid, because they can't get past the idea that they're looking at what's left of a REAL human body.

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    There appeared to be some kind mold or mildew on one side of the brain stem, which made Toonia really sick. But I explained to her, That's what the Science Museum is for; molding young minds. It didn't seem to help.
    I'm surprised that your compassion did not for Toonia mushroom into courage for her to continue.

I went with my friend Augustus once, and when we left, I remember chortling to him, "Boy, that was fun Gus!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I went with my friend Augustus once, and when we left, I remember chortling to him, "Boy, that was fun Gus!"
    You sound like a fun guy.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm a' likin' you too!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I absolutely love this sort of thing. I think that the often dry presentation that is given in lectures misses too often the aesthetic that you can get from stepping back. Details are necessary, and the details themselves can have the same complexity beauty that the system has, but it's all too easy to lose sight of the forest in a 350 page dissertation on tree fungus ecology.

I think that this sort of presentation can be used not only to get young people (and older people) excited about science, but that it can also serve as a reminder of the inherent beauty of a system that professionals might occasionally forget.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INXP

It's scary. I knew what your post would say, before I scrolled down. There's a certain trail to humour sometimes.

Back on topic, I'd love to see the exhibition, sounds interesting. And I don't mind a little mildew on my brain stem

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I just found out about this yesterday. It's here until August. I seem to be the only person I know who wants to see it.
    We should go to it together.

Or not. Whateveh.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.