• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is America great now?

Is America great now?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • This question is mean.

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
all is one,one is all,you are the world and the world is you

Lark

America might be great soon though, like imagine if all the people at the Trump rallies die of COVID and the remaining supporters leave the country after Biden is elected and the remaining racists all go to live in underground caves and caverns cut off from the world, it'll be awesome, the USA could become the first successful post-capitalist UBI experiment!!

Scott Santens will rule alongside Elon Musk and Bill Gates as the super three. :):)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Kudos to Elon Musk. I once thought he was a clown who got rich off of subsidies, but the guy is a true visionary. The USA is once again great because of Tesla. If this robotaxi idea works and is widely implemented, that will change modern society much like the smartphone.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Blue MAGA is the ultimate proof that Liberalism's natural conclusion is "Oh Fascism isn't that bad after all!"

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I wonder if there's any other country where a slim majority of its citizens feel compelled to shit on their own culture routinely, or dream up new ways to do so. Is that alone enough to disqualify it from being great, or is something's greatness always measured in direct proportion with how many people want to tear it down?

Lark

I wonder if there's any other country where a slim majority of its citizens feel compelled to shit on their own culture routinely, or dream up new ways to do so. Is that alone enough to disqualify it from being great, or is something's greatness always measured in direct proportion with how many people want to tear it down?

Can you give some examples of what you are talking about? It just seems so vague and abstract.

Lark

To a certain extent I dont get the "greatest" idea, its not something which I think is easy to determine and I really dont see that it matters, does being the greatest mean that main street will be doing any better than they have historically or are doing today? I very much doubt it, the Trump years definitely didnt prove that to be the case, the idyllic bygone days of yore that some people are longing to return to were shite for a lot of people.

I never been a big fan of supposed "golden age" thinking, whether its located in the past or the future (sometimes its both, weirdly).

This actually gives me an idea for another thread, how would anyone define greatness? I wouldnt say a nation that's got so many addiction issues, that's swamped with drugs, that's only response to the flagging "war on drugs" is to run up the white flag and surrender, is great, obesity epidemic? Nope, average citizens going bankrupt if they get ill or need medicine? Nope again.

None of that means the UK is any better, I think its a total dumpster fire, privilege and old money rules the roost there and its doing an abysmal job of it. They have succeeded in monkey wrenching any possible opposition though.

Lark

I'm referring to critical theory, and a general contempt of anything Americanna.

This is still vague, or do you perhaps work in academia?

I was thinking that maybe you had some tangible examples of matters effecting you on the day to day. Maybe not. In which case I would suggest it is only a problem in so far as you are prepared to spend a lot of your time paying it especial attention. What do you think?

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think that any country would be better off if instead of wanting to be "great" -- most "great" states are great only in body count --, it focused on Hutcheson's "greatest good for the greatest number".

Mole

Permabanned
The USA prints the Reserve Currency of the World, backed by the world's greatest military.

And if the USA had a Labor Party and Unions to represent those who work, together with compulsory voting, and an Independent Electoral Commission, the USA would be morally great, and psychologically healthy.

At the present time the USA is wealthy, powerful and narcissistic.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The USA prints the Reserve Currency of the World, backed by the world's greatest military.

And if the USA had a Labor Party and Unions to represent those who work, together with compulsory voting, and an Independent Electoral Commission, the USA would be morally great, and psychologically healthy.

At the present time the USA is wealthy, powerful and narcissistic.

I agree with the spirit of this. The Labor party would have to be better than the UK labor party at present, though. Tony Blair and his ilk can go to hell.

Mole

Permabanned
I agree with the spirit of this. The Labor party would have to be better than the UK labor party at present, though. Tony Blair and his ilk can go to hell.

Liberal democracy is Party political and it depends on who represents who, it doesn't depend on the character of any individual.

We only have to look at USA politics to see that working people are not represented, and it becomes a politics of personality, Biden versus Trump.

So it inappropriate to apply an American politics of personality to a functioning liberal democracy that represents working people.

The USA has ruled the roost for too long, this is why it is important for liberal parliamentary democracies to join together in CANZUK (Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Britain) to demonstrate the value of representative government, especially for working people.

Mole

Permabanned
USA politics does not represent working people, it represents the Reserve Currency of the world, the USA dollar, and it represents the USA military. And it does this with a politics of personality, so guess what, mbti is devoted entirely to personality, but pretends to be objective, to be value free, to be factual, to be interested in the best interests of the individual, and gosh, to be sciency.

Well, we know what they take us for.

For the Yankee dollar, click Lisa del Bo - Rum and Coca-Cola - 2002 - YouTube.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
This is still vague, or do you perhaps work in academia?

I was thinking that maybe you had some tangible examples of matters effecting you on the day to day. Maybe not. In which case I would suggest it is only a problem in so far as you are prepared to spend a lot of your time paying it especial attention. What do you think?

I think critical theory is the fountainhead of just about everything wrong with the modern left's focus and goals, and just because I've insulated myself and my life from having to deal with or depend on the idiots that buy into it, it does not mean it doesn't affect me on a broader scale. All the mainstream arts that I used to enjoy- hollywood, music, plays, various other productions/shows- rather than be interesting, envelope pushing, brilliant or inspiring in any way, now mostly just re-invent problems that were all but solved long before I came along, and pretend to "educate" people of things they already know in bloated form, all for the collective fapping of sneering, pseudo-intellectual narcissists. 50 years after 2001 A Space Odyssey, here's "This Is America" by Childish Gambino <insert finger pistol to the head here> It's transformed the country- and the world that follows its lead- into something bland, backwards, and miserable. We should have dozens of Elon Musks by now, not just the one. The greatest purpose in life is the creation of meaning, and though possible under any circumstances, it's much easier and easier to share under constructive- not deconstructive- times and philosophies.

Mole

Permabanned
I think critical theory is the fountainhead of just about everything wrong with the modern left's focus and goals, and just because I've insulated myself and my life from having to deal with or depend on the idiots that buy into it, it does not mean it doesn't affect me on a broader scale. All the mainstream arts that I used to enjoy- hollywood, music, plays, various other productions/shows- rather than be interesting, envelope pushing, brilliant or inspiring in any way, now mostly just re-invent problems that were all but solved long before I came along, and pretend to "educate" people of things they already know in bloated form, all for the collective fapping of sneering, pseudo-intellectual narcissists. 50 years after 2001 A Space Odyssey, here's "This Is America" by Childish Gambino <insert finger pistol to the head here> It's transformed the country- and the world that follows its lead- into something bland, backwards, and miserable. We should have dozens of Elon Musks by now, not just the one. The greatest purpose in life is the creation of meaning, and though possible under any circumstances, it's much easier and easier to share under constructive- not deconstructive- times and philosophies.

We support the USA with a Military Treaty, A Land Treaty, and an Economic Treaty, and as well we are part of the world's premier intelligence service, the Five Eyes, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Britain, and the USA.

We also support capitalism because, although it does increase inequality, it is the only economic system that increases wealth.

And we have been fighting beside the USA in every major conflict over more than 100 years.