• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trump vs. Biden

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
holy shit man.

I made myself watch it, simply because I felt it was historically important. Crazy stuff.

I felt kinda bad for Chris Wallace.

I would not be surprised if they canceled the other two debates, since I think no moderator will improve on Wallace's attempts to keep this on track, and would likely do worse. The VP one can probably happen, since I think both Pence and Harris are more willing to interact via the format and respect each other's speaking time.

Also... maybe the mic shut off rule implemented? I hate to treat this like a juvenile event, but if people cannot be adults enough to follow the rules and just blow up the thing, may they need to enforce it via other means.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Felt a little bad for Wallace.

Also, my main gripe about Biden was not one “malarkey”, though he did say “stuff” at one point

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My son said something about the mics too.

I bet they implement turned off mics next time

To be fair, Trump probably did at least 70% of the interruptions. Biden did a decent job of not getting rattled. At this point he can just maintain the same strategy and sit pretty. Let Trump dig his own grave.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was the most uncomfortable debate I've ever witnessed. My god, they took all the worst parts of internet discussions and decided to act them out in real time. I know people have joked that there would only be one debate, but I mean...I'd approve of not having any more of these.

It started off comical then just got much more sad and sobering as the debates went on. I was waiting for Don Jr to run up and smack Joe Biden in the side of the head with a metal chair, then Jim Ross to say "Bah gawd, that's Mitt Romney's music!!" As he runs in to interfere in the wrestling match debate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It started off comical then just got much more sad and sobering as the debates went on. I was waiting for Don Jr to run up and smack Joe Biden in the side of the head with a metal chair, then Jim Ross to say "Bah gawd, that's Mitt Romney's music!!" As he runs in to interfere in the wrestling match debate.
I wanted to see Melania do a shooting star leg drop on Jill from the overhead truss while cackling with a crazy Russian accent, like something out of Glow.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Felt a little bad for Wallace.

Also, my main gripe about Biden was not one “malarkey”, though he did say “stuff” at one point

"Here's the deal"

Joe Biden's debate prowess showed tonight. Anyone that questions his mental acuity after this is just trolling -- he kept Trump on the defense and is one of the few people I've seen actually ruffle his feathers (outside of interviewers who actually hold him accountable).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So how TF do you do a political analysis of that mess? Interested in seeing what the wonks and pundits try to make out of it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Here's the deal"

Joe Biden's debate prowess showed tonight. Anyone that questions his mental acuity after this is just trolling -- he kept Trump on the defense and is one of the few people I've seen actually ruffle his feathers (outside of interviewers who actually hold him accountable).

That's good to hear. It makes me feel much better that he's putting effort into this rather than just expecting Trump to speak "for himself" while his experience puts him over the finish line.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
So how TF do you do a political analysis of that mess? Interested in seeing what the wonks and pundits try to make out of it.

Much like everything thus far, the sides are so heavily divided and uncompromising that each side of the political coin is just going to further double down on whatever their opinions were prior to this debate. I kinda find it hard how anyone could spin this as anything other than Biden holding his ground at the very least (it seemed as if he one quite handedly based on how deranged and frustrated Trump became as the debates went on).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even Trump’s token Steven Seagal movie henchman Chris Christie admitted Trump was too “hot”

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though it looked like Wrestlemania up there, I'm quite pleased how well Biden held his own given the reports of democrats suggesting he not debate. Trump ate everyone's lunch in the 2016 debates, so I admittedly was pretty nervous that Biden was going to be just another victim of that. All things considered, he did well and held is own to anyone that already isn't apart of the MAGA cult. It even seems like on the conservative side that people are trying to back up a bit and say how terrible both candidates appeared -- as bad as you wanna say Biden looked, Trump looked like a butthurt deranged lunatic who was trying any and everything to gain and inch (disparaging Bidens dead son? Stay classy, Don...), yet it never really happened. He had some slam dunk opportunities to dispel lots of his questions people have on race relations (telling the Proud Boys to Stand down and Stand by!?!?), and he failed.

All he did was rant like a crazy person about rigged elections based on made-up data while encouraging his base to harass voters at the polls. The MAGA people are too far gone at this point, but I can't see how any undecided voter that watched that walked away thinking "Yeah, I think Trump is my guy..."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From nathaniel Rakich on Twitter:
"Biden came prepared for a debate. Trump came in determined to prevent one."

That pretty much sums up my thought on it.

Much like everything thus far, the sides are so heavily divided and uncompromising that each side of the political coin is just going to further double down on whatever their opinions were prior to this debate. I kinda find it hard how anyone could spin this as anything other than Biden holding his ground at the very least (it seemed as if he one quite handedly based on how deranged and frustrated Trump became as the debates went on).

Yeah. I mean Biden got a little overpowered at spots, but who would have done better? Wallace was practically shouting in Trump's face repeatedly to get him to shut up, throughout much of the debate. It would have been exhausting for anyone to sit there and let Trump howl at them and cut them off incessantly.... it just doesn't stop with that guy.

Biden's stutter was obvious at spots and he seemed tired on occasion but usually dug right back in and got his clarity back. I think he did best when he looked right at the camera and kept driving it back to the viewer. It was also kind of funny to hear him occasionally "go lower" than all that "go high" crap. I didn't really have an issue with that, because even someone with a saint's patience deservedly would want to tell the other guy to just shut the hell up for once / bitch-slap him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a Tweet that Rep. Pat Garofalo (R, Minnesota?) made when Trump was blitz-attacking Hunter Biden when Joe talking about how proud he was of his son and his military background:

The President of the United States is a world class asshole.

It was pointed out because it's a Republican state rep in a non-competitive seat...

-----

basically this mess of a debate isn't really going to change anyone's mind if they already had their candidate picked... but for the people on the fence and maybe women in particular... Trump came off as a bully / abusive and not particularly receptive or safe. I think he had a few strong moments when he just actually took his two minutes to make a point (even when I disagreed with his point), but about 90% of his performance was trying to shout over Biden and/or blitz attack word salad.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Biden's stutter was obvious at spots and he seemed tired on occasion but usually dug right back in and got his clarity back. I think he did best when he looked right at the camera and kept driving it back to the viewer. It was also kind of funny to hear him occasionally "go lower" than all that "go high" crap. I didn't really have an issue with that, because even someone with a saint's patience deservedly would want to tell the other guy to just shut the hell up for once / bitch-slap him.

That's good. "Going high" didn't really work..... one of my issues with Biden as nominee (another was about some of his past decisions but I'd be very happy if he beat Trump in spite of those) was that I was afraid he was going to repeat Hillary's mistakes, so I'm glad he's not doing that. Judging from what I've read, it doesn't sound like he went about this in a bloodless John Kerry type way, which is a really good thing.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be fair, Trump probably did at least 70% of the interruptions. Biden did a decent job of not getting rattled. At this point he can just maintain the same strategy and sit pretty. Let Trump dig his own grave.

Biden needs to laugh more. He got hooked, defensive and started arguing against ridiculous lies. He's needs to laugh and say things like, "Where do you GET this stuff?" "Do you make a list in advance or is it off the cuff?" "Do you have a team?" The more ridiculous a lie is, the more he needs to not get defensive and argue against it, but treat it like Trump is saying something as stupid as "How are the teddy bears going to get catering deli eted to their annual Teddy Bear Picnic if we don't roll back environment protections?!?" Or "How are all the toys going to get made if we make Santa raise the elves hourly wage!"

Biden did better than most people do against someone like Trump though. Could have been worse.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come on, y’all, “Stand down and stand by” is a famous phrase uttered by many great leaders in history.

“Stand down and stand by” -Nero, when asked by his praetorian guards if they should look into the raging fire consuming Rome.

“Stand down and stand by” -Hitler to his generals after the fall of Poland.

“Stand down and stand by”. -Palpatine to his clone troopers after the execution of order 66, otherwise known as the Make The Inner Core Regions Great Again Act

“Stand down and stand by”. -Ted Bundy to a Florida college sorority sister whilst he was finishing a game of whack a mole with her sorority sisters

“Stand down and stand by” -The Pope to the crusaders when they stood outside the gates of Constantinople in 1204. I believe they had been sent to watch elections, but then they realized it was only 1204 and elections weren’t for another several hundred years.