• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trump vs. Biden

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I've always absolutely hated politics. I've never been into them. I don't consider myself to be left or right. To be quite honest, I just simply think America needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There are so many areas in which the USA is just...bad. I think we also need to update the political parties by creating new political groups that include policies that are more appropriate for modern times and needs. College needs to be free, medical care needs to be free, the cost of living needs to not be higher than minimum wage earnings. It's ridiculous that people have to work 2 jobs just to barely survive while they try to fit college in, which enables them to get a better job, but during this they accumulate debts in college, or worse, can't go to college because they can't afford it since they're barely getting by and already working 2 jobs. It's ridiculous that those undergrads cannot usually afford, nor access, healthcare. It's ridiculous that those who have suffered from mental illness or trauma from child abuse up until they managed to get out on their own can't afford to get diagnoses or treatment, yet are expected to be able to live and function normally enough to graduate so they can finally get a job that has affordable health benefits. Now, thanks to COVID-19, the jobs these undergrads can work are more limited than ever, keeping many with incomes below the cost of living in their state. Many people are jobless and cannot afford their medications (for any illness, not just mental), which for some people are imperative for their survival. It's ridiculous that by the time Americans do graduate and finally earn enough to afford the cost of living in their state, now they've got large debts to repay. American people are being taken advantage of and financially oppressed by the greed of wealthy people in power such as Big Pharma. I think we need to stop using the dumb imperial system and start using the metric system. I think courses that pertain to everyday lives need to be added to our education system. I think we need to better accommodate and nourish/strengthen multiple intelligences and offer more to children in the way of career preparation or guidance based on their assets (not mandatory, still give freedom to do what they want)--even if only how there is journalism club, chess club, anime club, etc. there could be side courses that offer more career exploration instead of people realizing they should've gotten a different degree because it isn't what they expected, or they aren't good at it.

Anyway, despite the fact that the current system is not setup in a way that appeals to what I actually want to see in this country, and that I hate politics, I can't help but to be involved this year for the first time in my life. It's not even about policies. It's about the fact that Trump is that bad of a president. All I care about in this is getting him the fuck out of a position his narcissism prevents him from being fit to handle.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I've always absolutely hated politics. I've never been into them. I don't consider myself to be left or right. To be quite honest, I just simply think America needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

If I can say I find these two contradictory. :wink:
In other words US evidently went over the top with this whole image thing in politics, what simply isn't enough to run smoothly a country in 21th. century. Image is good for the start but something has to stand behind it. Because otherwise it is nothing and this isn't really genuine politics. Because genuine politics is fundamentally about concrete decision making and therefore if you don't have plenty of that you don't really have politics. I am not even sure what you have in that case but it isn't really politics.

In a way it is actually amazing how often average people mistake image and uneducated babbling for real politics. Judging by my posting here you probably would never have guessed how much apolitical I really was for decades. But then I realized the deeper layer that goes much deeper than cheap partisanship and corny election campaigns. What then makes you realize how things in the field really work and how much that is important if you want to have a normal life. This is because your every day is actually fully defined with the actual politics (how much money you will have, food prices and it's quality, security, healthcare, education, infrastructure ... etc.). Therefore you are evidently involved in "the game", so if you are in the game you may as well play it with "educated vote" every time when it is possible (If you aren't going to get involved personally and professionally, what is whole new level) However in US races are often quite tight so there are decent odds that you can nudge something by pulling a few more people around you in the mix. Especially in the election process that usually don't get too much media attention but they are on the table.

Plus here is some food for though. (which average Joe doesn't get in many countries)

College needs to be free, medical care needs to be free.

As someone who lives like this since birth; this is false way to think about it. It sounds nice at the face value but this isn't how it works. Since the whole thing is payed through taxes, but it is paid. Only if you are in emergency and completely broke you will get something for nothing in that moment. But you will pay taxes through out life, so you will pay it anyway. But there are 3 hidden parts of that equation. First is that you live with much less stress since you know that the odds of your life completely falling apart are slim to none existent. What makes living so much easier, especially since everyone will be less pissed off all the time (and there will be less crime and suffering- what kinda saves money actually). The second thing is that since this is collective endeavor the price will drop due to quantity, especially since there will not be plenty of middle men that leech financially (various consultants, lawyers, insurance companies, people who clean their offices ... etc.). While the third is that you have to vote, since you must support these systems in political sense, so that they stay clean and functional.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am sorry for ignoring most of the post but I am actually aware of that. I am too long here not to know all of that. :)

So yes, I'm aware that it's paid for through taxes...but I promise you it's far better that way.

Of course it is better, that wasn't really the argument, this is exactly why I advocated about this policies a number of time. I simply wanted to check if you know how this principle actually works. The largest medical bill I ever paid directly was so small that I don't even remember it's size since it is "pocket change". While stuff like losing house due to medical bills simply doesn't exists as a category. Therefore as long as you realize that you are just paying in a different way and with a number of good benefits we are good.

America is so broken that I just don't even have hope for it anymore. That's why I'm currently striving to become a citizen of EU. I would never raise kids in the USA, either...never. Sure, we're first world, but I still think it's a terrible country with ridiculous systems.

Well, you are not the first one here that has shown this desire. I mean over the years a decent number of Americans moved across the Atlantic exactly because of "social structure". I am not 100% sure about each member state but EU as a whole will almost surely take you as a citizen if you aren't a person with "bad record". As American I really don't think you should have major problems with getting all the papers for living here. The biggest problem for you could be choosing the member state in which you want to settle. I mean if you think that you can't physically make it just go, I am the last that will condemn you. Actually it is kinda flattering that you want to live more like me, since with this move you are moving into my "neighborhood" (EU). To be honest I would also be thinking about running away based on what is going on. Politics will babble it's messages for 2020 but the foundation on which everything stands is evidently cracking. Therefore knowing when to fight and when to run is one of the most useful instincts in life.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've always absolutely hated politics. I've never been into them. I don't consider myself to be left or right. To be quite honest, I just simply think America needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There are so many areas in which the USA is just...bad. I think we also need to update the political parties by creating new political groups that include policies that are more appropriate for modern times and needs. College needs to be free, medical care needs to be free, the cost of living needs to not be higher than minimum wage earnings. It's ridiculous that people have to work 2 jobs just to barely survive while they try to fit college in, which enables them to get a better job, but during this they accumulate debts in college, or worse, can't go to college because they can't afford it since they're barely getting by and already working 2 jobs. It's ridiculous that those undergrads cannot usually afford, nor access, healthcare. It's ridiculous that those who have suffered from mental illness or trauma from child abuse up until they managed to get out on their own can't afford to get diagnoses or treatment, yet are expected to be able to live and function normally enough to graduate so they can finally get a job that has affordable health benefits. Now, thanks to COVID-19, the jobs these undergrads can work are more limited than ever, keeping many with incomes below the cost of living in their state. Many people are jobless and cannot afford their medications (for any illness, not just mental), which for some people are imperative for their survival. It's ridiculous that by the time Americans do graduate and finally earn enough to afford the cost of living in their state, now they've got large debts to repay. American people are being taken advantage of and financially oppressed by the greed of wealthy people in power such as Big Pharma. I think we need to stop using the dumb imperial system and start using the metric system. I think courses that pertain to everyday lives need to be added to our education system. I think we need to better accommodate and nourish/strengthen multiple intelligences and offer more to children in the way of career preparation or guidance based on their assets (not mandatory, still give freedom to do what they want)--even if only how there is journalism club, chess club, anime club, etc. there could be side courses that offer more career exploration instead of people realizing they should've gotten a different degree because it isn't what they expected, or they aren't good at it.

Anyway, despite the fact that the current system is not setup in a way that appeals to what I actually want to see in this country, and that I hate politics, I can't help but to be involved this year for the first time in my life. It's not even about policies. It's about the fact that Trump is that bad of a president. All I care about in this is getting him the fuck out of a position his narcissism prevents him from being fit to handle.

All I can tell you is there is a reason so many Americans feel this way. The system is set up to be deliberately frustrating. Things are "too complicated" on purpose and politicians, health insurers, college and universities, corporations....they all are counting on you feeling this way and giving up. Start as local as possible. Get involved there. A huge percentage of being effective is just showing up and when others see that, they come along.

I never really cared about politics until I saw what happened to my state after a pile of shit "businessman" was elected. That's years before Trump showed up so my goals were local and state.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you hate politics but recognize the need to get involved, you might check into your local League of Women Voters. They usually do a good job of following politics on the national, state, and local levels and promoting voter awareness of the issues, candidates, and the voting process itself. The League never supports any party or candidate, and is widely respected as a sourde of unbiased information.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps. I'm always hesitant to participate in groups rather than independent study, but I'll consider it. What deters me from being involved though is the fact that neither party ever actually offers what's important to me. Don't get me wrong, some of the things are, but I feel like addressing the elephant in the room is being dodged year after year. I do lean more left than right policy wise, but there are also key points that I don't like, and I feel like we're not sufficiently adapting with the times in a way that allows us to address the really big problems we have in modern society. I really don't get why America doesn't just follow the example of countries who have been more successful than us in some areas, either...we act like we're still trying to discover an effective way to approach things or something, but other countries have been doing it better/well for years. It just feels like we have no control even if we get involved.

EDIT:
I used shitty wording and accidentally contradicted myself, whoops...was trying to articulate something specific and struggling...but you get what I mean probably...
You don't need to join the League to get their information. It is generally available on the websites. National League and I think every State League has a website, as do the larger local leagues.

As for not liking the options, I agree. Until that changes, however, one of the candidates on the ballot will win. Most people will prefer one over the other, even if only in a "lesser of two evils" sense. In order to figure out which fits the bill, they need to do at least a little homework on the candidates. This is where the League can make things easier.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Minnesota is twice as narrow as it was a month ago. One more Biden not too friendly poll and you basically have a Toss up. Four years ago the state almost ended as PA,MI and WI but since it didn't it is off the people radar. Even if it is actually a part the same story.

Plus 3 times 4+ in PA is also kinda narrow.

The last added polls in WI is a tie.

NC is openly a toss up.

Don't go into red states, you have plenty of work somewhere else.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Perhaps. I'm always hesitant to participate in groups rather than independent study, but I'll consider it. What deters me from being involved though is the fact that neither party ever actually offers what's important to me. Don't get me wrong, some of the things are, but I feel like addressing the elephant in the room is being dodged year after year. I do lean more left than right policy wise, but there are also key points that I don't like, and I feel like we're not sufficiently adapting with the times in a way that allows us to address the really big problems we have in modern society. I really don't get why America doesn't just follow the example of countries who have been more successful than us in some areas, either...we act like we're still trying to discover an effective way to approach things or something, but other countries have been doing it better/well for years. It just feels like we have no control even if we get involved.

EDIT:
I used shitty wording and accidentally contradicted myself, whoops...was trying to articulate something specific and struggling...but you get what I mean probably...

Why does American continue to use right to work laws/at will employment, no social health care, few safety nets and a pay a minimum wage that is laughable when no other developed country does this? Who do these laws and policies benefit? If you know that answer, you will know why America doesn't just follow the example of countries who have been more successful than us in some areas.

While I would never discourage anyone from independent study, embracing solidarity and unity is the only way to create change. You want changes, get with people that also want them and I don't mean the GOP or the Dems.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All I can tell you is there is a reason so many Americans feel this way. The system is set up to be deliberately frustrating. Things are "too complicated" on purpose and politicians, health insurers, college and universities, corporations....they all are counting on you feeling this way and giving up.
a6afdbc144f63d48c948017fee3826b9.png

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Goddamnit I am so worried he is going to fuck this up.

Well, that is on my radar as well. He has decent odds but a few wrong steps could turn all of that into a toss up.

I mean if you win every swing state you have something like 350+ points on the map and therefore there is no need that you seriously go into the red states. You don't need a single one of them and you have over 80 point of "buffer zone" without them. The whole mid-west is open for taking with exception of Indiana. NC needs some work but is really winnable since senate seat and the governor are going blue. More work in FL or AZ wouldn't hurt either. However as elections get closer they will start to pick the stuff from the decades long record and the race will probably narrow. Therefore it is better to have less states but fortified than just having a free spread all over the map. Because when the few point tilt comes for whatever the reason you will still have a buffer zone in each state, instead that you have a Toss up in plenty of places. In my book for a number of reasons blue +5 should be treated as the actual 0 from the strategy point of view.

However it seems that the trends in the senate are getting pretty blue.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Perhaps it is the time to talk about wider picture and what that means in practical sense.

Germans expect better EU-US relations if Biden wins

To be honest I don't disagree with Trump that much with the exceptions of science stuff and partisan/legal stuff. The basic premise behind his presidency was good in my book. However where I have serious doubts is the ability to deliver. At one hand he is escalating with China all over the map while not doing enough for his people. Plus he makes sure to keep country's traditional allies both annoyed and the distance. What altogether simply isn't a workable strategy. I can accept that his work can perhaps have certain meaning in internal US matters, but in the wider picture all of this is kinda suicidal. Especially since very large chunk of America's power is coming from it's relations with the world (and the fact that it surrounded itself with powerful allies). However if you take that out of the equation and add the current pandemic induced mass you don't really have the winning ticked in the big picture. Trump decided to take China directly, the country that is at this point the largest industrial powerhouse of the world. Plus in doing so he has to relay on anti-science and anti modern economy people in the senate (or wherever). I mean if you start a war you should at least make sure that you have decent odds of winning. While starting something like this just to fire your own base for internal political matters is simply foolish if you aren't truly prepared.

Therefore if you decide to take on China for real you need every boost you can get since they have 4 to 1 advantage in numbers, much more physical production, good network of allies and deals, growing army ... etc. Therefore having a leader that wouldn't alienate or annoy your allies is basically the only way forward. However I am sad to say that I simply don't see Trump changing his mind over all this. Not to mention that Biden simply has much better odds convincing or even forcing your allies to change their mind about a few things. What in my book also has to happen since the so called "allies" at this point aren't consolidated as they once were. Today the game is much more everyone on his own than it used to be, however how the global situation is changing that is no longer smart or pragmatic approach.

In other words if you dissect "allies" the US is the core and other allies are a shell. Therefore if you disrupt the communication between them the whole dynamic starts to fall apart and both parts are weakening. The core no longer has extra layer(s) of protection, while the shell has to invent it's own core(s) in order to function properly. What costs both time and money, which are something that both sides are in short supply at the moment. Not to mention that at this point no one has the ability to produce everything. So having a pool of countries is useful in making sure that more types of goods are produced under democracies. Since that can significantly lower reliance on undemocratic countries and perhaps help in bringing new countries into the mix. If enough countries from that pool develops genuine friendship with x country that country will in practical sense become a part of that pool. However you approach country x as fully individual countries then this factor isn't so much in play. What leaves room for the influence of someone else.

Therefore it is a shame that this isn't more often mentioned in the 2020 mess. Since internal situation in the US is directly and heavily defined with how things are going outside of it. Since modern world is basically 200 countries that are closely connected through transport and internet. Therefore if you mess up your relations you will have to pay the price in some way (I mean "pay" in the most literal sense possible).

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a legitimate question:
My mother said she read Joe Biden wants to get rid of any homeschooling and schooling outside of public schools. I cannot find an exact quote on it. Does anyone know where he stands on this? Because...as a homeschooled-my-entire-life person I don't like the sound of that. I could understand possibly more regulations on it or changing it to where someone cannot literally "unschool" their child but removing all of it?

Honestly neither of these candidates really has any moral high ground... It is sad we're asking people to vote on the basis it "isn't Trump." But I guess that's where we are now. I'd rather write someone in who might be a reasonable moderate candidate. I don't relate to either party remotely anymore.