• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I work for SEIU, which is lower income jobs and I specifically work in the healthcare branch. That's lab techs and radiology techs and CNA, environmental services, housekeeping, nursing home workers... I have yet to find one that I would consider MAGA. On the other hand, I've met all kinds of small business tyrants, managers at a car dealership authoritarians, township supervisors dictators....those are loud and proud MAGA. There is a difference strangely enough, the people in the first category are overwhelmingly women and people of color. The second category is all male and all white. But at a glance, they are all working class, all the same.

But if you know where to look - not the mainstream anything - and if you know who to talk to - not moderate Dems and not Republicans - you can see real changes but they aren't coming from a single person or the government. It's coming from people. That's :solidarity:

Ok, we simply seem to have different definitions of working class and MAGA. For me working class is at at least 80% of the population, while MAGA goes beyond the most stereotypical and loudest Trump supporters.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm, Wisconsin might be a challenge, but guess which candidate is doing the best there? At any rate, there haven't been too many polls out of Wisconsin at this point.

Jaguar

"We shouldn't have to choose between one candidate who wants to burn this party down and one candidate who wants to buy this party out."
— Pete Buttigieg

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I was entertained. Bloomberg got run over like the coyote by the roadrunner. I think I heard Warren say "beep! beep!".

Some missed opportunities by Buttigieg: He should have asked Klobuchar to name the presidents of El Salvador, Honduras, and Peru.
Biden looks really, really old and sickly. Going by looks alone, he's not going to win the nomination.

Bernie lied his ass off about not taking benefits away from the Culinary union.

Basically, the whole debate was about Dems whining about problems that they created such as wage stagnation, expensive healthcare, expensive tuition, and homelessness.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was entertained. Bloomberg got run over like the coyote by the roadrunner. I think I heard Warren say "beep! beep!".

Some missed opportunities by Buttigieg: He should have asked Klobuchar to name the presidents of El Salvador, Honduras, and Peru.
Biden looks really, really old and sickly. Going by looks alone, he's not going to win the nomination.

Bernie lied his ass off about not taking benefits away from the Culinary union.

Basically, the whole debate was about Dems whining about problems that they created such as wage stagnation, expensive healthcare, expensive tuition, and homelessness.

Winner of the Democratic debate? Trump

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Maou said:
Winner of the Democratic debate? Trump

I was a bit scared of Bloomberg because he has over $60 billion to spend, but he was castrated last night by Warren.

Bloomberg's right by the way; if Bernie is the nominee, Trump will get re-elected easily. Bloomberg is also the only rational person left in the race (I'm not counting Gabbard because she's polling less than 1%). I love it when the radicals in the Dem party take out the only real chance they have of beating Trump.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a bit scared of Bloomberg because he has over $60 billion to spend, but he was castrated last night by Warren.

Bloomberg's right by the way; if Bernie is the nominee, Trump will get re-elected easily. Bloomberg is also the only rational person left in the race (I'm not counting Gabbard because she's polling less than 1%). I love it when the radicals in the Dem party take out the only real chance they have of beating Trump.

Bloomberg is what you get if everything the media said about Trump, was actually true. Rational or not, the bar is set so low in Democratic debate, anyone with common sense will seem smart.

Dens have lost touch with the majority of their base. I heard 1% of Dems are even defecting if not more (seen that a lot on c-span), based on the Gallop poll too. I've even seen articles on the fact there are no more moderate Dems. Sad times.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
CNN was showing a protest of the Culinary union members against Bernie; some lady was almost in tears because her husband had asthma and the plan covered it. I can't imagine this playing well in states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Sure, Bernie may get endorsements from the union bosses, but the rank and file won't like it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sure, Bernie may get endorsements from the union bosses, but the rank and file won't like it.

This is the other way around but I'm sure you know everything.

lol at you posting like you give a shit about people that belong to the Culinary Union.

Jaguar

CNN was showing a protest of the Culinary union members against Bernie; some lady was almost in tears because her husband had asthma and the plan covered it. I can't imagine this playing well in states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Sure, Bernie may get endorsements from the union bosses, but the rank and file won't like it.

I saw that woman's interview, too. It pissed me off that those less fortunate need to feel threatened by yet another egomaniac running for office - especially one who waves his hand in the air too much. "Let me help you by taking away your health care coverage."

51K4jEI.gif

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I saw that woman's interview, too. It pissed me off that those less fortunate need to feel threatened by yet another egomaniac running for office - especially one who waves his hand in the air too much. "Let me help you by taking away your health care coverage."

51K4jEI.gif

Yeah, as an unemployed person, I'm very comforted by having to pay an $800 premium. I don't know what I'd do without that.

As someone who has been able to afford it, private health insurance is a racket. Even with it, a personal injury wiped out my savings. I must believe in the inherent goodness of it, though, because thou shalt not criticize thy free market.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I really thought the General Motors strike highlighted very clearly, that even with union negotiated health care coverage, the employer still can yank it at any time. Illegal, yes, but that doesn't stop them.

GM no longer paying for striking workers''' health insurance as negotiations enter 3rd day - ABC News

Universal care, M4A, whatever you call it, will put more money on the table when contracts are negotiated. Something Bernie has said many times. So weird that GM proved his point in real time.

Using this tired argument that Joe Biden started is not only foolish but untrue. And I also love the people that don't belong to a union or work in the culinary industry thinking you have a right to speak for these workers.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also like that M4A is not "feasible" or "practical" when it's basically what Canada and the UK do. "Oh, but we have more people." Yeah, but guess what? We also have a higher GDP. It's not like we have the same amount of money to spend among more people; we have more money.

I also here people raise the specter of "waiting lists" but don't we already have those in our perfect system that cannot possibly be improved?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
God forbid someone have a universal health care plan versus health insurance through their company or Cobra plan where the deductibles can be in the thousands and often the providers decline coverage for any number of reasons. Yes, I'm so sorry that someone might have their private insurance taken away and replaced by universal.

gosh, what losers at life for not earning enough to afford high deductibles, assuming they were able to afford an insurance plan in the first place.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
God forbid someone have a universal health care plan versus health insurance through their company or Cobra plan where the deductibles can be in the thousands and often the providers decline coverage for any number of reasons. Yes, I'm so sorry that someone might have their private insurance taken away and replaced by universal.

gosh, what losers at life for not earning enough to afford high deductibles, assuming they were able to afford an insurance plan in the first place.

The typical talking point for that: "How are you going to pay for it? We can't afford it!" Usually as a way of leading back to how raising taxes is necessary to make it work to deter people from it, yet considering the average family plan comes out to around $1,200 a month, isn't healthcare an indirect form of taxation in itself given that it's all but mandatory for most families?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is my preferred response to "we can't afford that."

Dick Cheney said:
You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter

Source

So if we stick to Republican principles of fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets, as echoed by someone even Never-Trump Republicans were comfortable with, we should be fine.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The typical talking point for that: "How are you going to pay for it? We can't afford it!" Usually as a way of leading back to how raising taxes is necessary to make it work to deter people from it, yet considering the average family plan comes out to around $1,200 a month, isn't healthcare an indirect form of taxation in itself given that it's all but mandatory for most families?
Indeed. That is a reality too many people overlook, that one way or another, we pay. I sometimes call the "free market" approach to such things as divide-and-conquer economics. Each consumer is left to fend for him/herself under the guise of "consumer choice", losing the economies of scale and buying power of the group.