User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Default European Indigenous Spirituality

Thought it might be interesting to share a glimpse of what non-Abrahamic European spirituality might have looked like. The bloot presented seems reasonably authentic to around 800 CE. Although the video is labeled Viking...there are a lot of misconceptions about that term. Viking doesn't describe a people, it doesn't describe an individual...going "Vikingr!" was something you do, not something you are. Also the symbolism of a horned Viking helmet is complete and utter bunk, more realistically suited for an Opera stage or a comic book.

During this era, many had already abandoned the old custom...aka Forn Sed. Which simply means "our ways". There wasn't an actual name for the beliefs/practices. Which have a heck of a lot more in common with Veda vs. Abrahamic beliefs/perceptions of a god concept. Which is why the Christian Trinity, bares no resemblance to Judaic monotheism, or ideas as to what god is. By this point in history, Europeans were largely either agnostic or participating in tradition as the modern Church continues to serve a social function for weddings and funerals, often with scant attendance in-between, least for Scandinavia.

There wasn't a Pantheon of the Roman conception. Albeit that erroneous cultural appropriation continues to this day.

Likes wildmoon, Xann, biohazard liked this post

Have you heard of Stephen Flowers? I find his works fascinating, he specializes in the subject of Indo-European religions and he is particularly interested in the Left-Hand Path.

He's mainly known for his work in the Germanic Runes, but he also studied Mazdaism, and Hermetic magic (synthesis of various cultural currents: Gnostic, Egyptian, Iranian, Greek, Jewish, Christian etc) at the time of the Roman Empire.

The fact he specializes in Indo-European religion I'm guessing should appeal to you.

I should add that he writes from the perspective of not just a scholar of religion, but also a magician who puts into practice the systems he studies for magical use.
    Last edited by Typh0n; 12-03-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Have you heard of Stephen Flowers? I find his works fascinating, he specializes in the subject of Indo-European religions and he is particularly interested in the Left-Hand Path.

He's mainly known for his work in the Germanic Runes, but he also studied Mazdaism, and Hermetic magic (synthesis of various cultural currents: Gnostic, Egyptian, Iranian, Greek, Jewish, Christian etc) at the time of the Roman Empire.

The fact he specializes in Indo-European religion I'm guessing should appeal to you.

I should add that he writes from the perspective of not just a scholar of religion, but also a magician who puts into practice the systems he studies for magical use.
    Yes, I am aware of Flowers, but do not consider him to be an viable authority on the topic of Indo-European pre-Christian spirituality. Much of his work I see as a tainted dis-service to those genuinely seeking to comprehend and explore the ancestral topic. However, tip my hat as he is a viable authority of the desert demon's LHP.

Having studied the anthropology and archeology in-depth, my own conclusion is that Runic Magic is not an authentic historical context. Similar to Sun Signs, having played NO ROLE of importance in historical Astrology. Until someone decided it might make for interesting fare, to place next to the comics in newspapers, here in the good ole' US of A about seventy years ago.

I generally agree with what the writer of the following blogpost has to say on the topic: Runes of divination and magic? * Misconceptions and Misunderstandings * World-Tree Project

I'm really glad Christendom did its bit to wipe all that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Booooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Booooooo

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Sorry, couldn't resist.

A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Wipe all of what out? It's not like the brick and mortar Church isn't basically institutionalized paganism.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

How far do you want to go back? Lots going on before the vikings
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Wipe all of what out? It's not like the brick and mortar Church isn't basically institutionalized paganism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Blue View Post
    How far do you want to go back? Lots going on before the vikings
    Yeah but the viking era fits in with the badly understood history which forms the basis of a lot of the Klan mythology of the anglo-saxons and all.