• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Every day is a rerun and the laughter is always canned

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where do you find your sense of purpose in life?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stop looking. Purpose doesn't like desperation. It'll fall into your lap.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds like such a sad thread..

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why do you need purpose if you can have fun instead?

Nothing is fun anymore. I've seen it all, pretty much. Then again, I'm pretty sure there isn't much of a point to anything beyond just keeping the lights on and staying in the rat race. Of course, we will all be dead soon, so I guess that doesn't really matter either.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't read the title of this thread without thinking of this song.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Art.

Experiencing art: Music, literature, paintings, architecture, movies, it doesn't matter. Good art can be used to elevate the mind and inspire people.

Creating art: I experience the world, process my experiences, and then endow them with an aesthetic through artistic expression. It is this art which gives meaning and justification to the dreary experience of existence.

Becoming art: Every action and every achievement is a brushstroke on the canvas of the self, and every hardship is an opportunity to realize the self's potential. I envision a cohesive life-aesthete and use it to define what is virtuous and great. Then, I act pragmatically to manifest these concepts into reality by transforming the self, and by helping others to do the same. The way I see it, when something or someone has aesthetic value, its existence is justified.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Art.

Experiencing art: Music, literature, paintings, architecture, movies, it doesn't matter. Good art can be used to elevate the mind and inspire people.

Creating art: I experience the world, process my experiences, and then endow them with an aesthetic through artistic expression. It is this art which gives meaning and justification to the dreary experience of existence.

Becoming art: Every action and every achievement is a brushstroke on the canvas of the self, and every hardship is an opportunity to realize the self's potential. I envision a cohesive life-aesthete and use it to define what is virtuous and great. Then, I act pragmatically to manifest these concepts into reality by transforming the self, and by helping others to do the same. The way I see it, when something or someone has aesthetic value, its existence is justified.
In a way, this is what I relate to most...although I still am not happy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you've developed a depression, you get those feelings. I felt that way after my breakup for 2 years. Now a few years later, life is still the same, nothing really changed but I am exploding with ideas on what to do in my time. So same setting, different human.

I am no doctor of course but I learnt that blaming the setting could be due to a reason within yourself, not necessarily due to the setting.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
This sounds like such a sad thread..

Agreed.
[MENTION=18694]The Wailing Specter[/MENTION], are you really sure that's all there is? Are you sure you've seen it all and one it all at 20 years old?? (crept on your profile, sorry). Because I doubt it. That talk of "nothing matters because we're all gonna die" is a too familiar refrain of a depressed, demotivated, and demoralized mind. I've experienced that anxiety myself too many times.

I think I have some idea of what you're going through, of just not caring about anything, every day being a repeat of boredom, emptiness, frustration, and disgust with nothing worthwhile to really get up for. I wish I could give some inspiring story about overcoming it, but I haven't really crawled out of that hole yet.

I also agree that purpose and meaning can't be forced. Those things are felt, perceived in a deeply personal way - I've thought about this far too much and I think, actually, that a sense of meaning or purpose is the mind's default state. That's why lacking it is so profoundly painful.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great! You can see it! Now chase after it! What is stopping you? Start with the little things and build up momentum. :)

My book I published got a hard reception. I've sold 15 copies in 3 years. Also, I felt better about it when it was a short story. I feel like when I expanded it into a novel, it lost focus and just got too long. I like bite sized works you can read in one sitting, think about it, then feel something. Of course, after my first novel flopping and the times I've tried making short stories selling worse, I wonder if I really have anything worth saying that hasn't already been said ad nauseum. I think people don't like my work partly because my best work flows from sadness and misery (albeit transformed into an eerie beauty), and maybe people buying things are focused on feeling good. I don't know. I do know I get a lot of flattery from people I share the work with for free, and people say based on how I pitched it, they expected it to be worse than it was. I don't know. Weird flattery, I guess.

I feel puny and ugly and small.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who knows, you may be destined to write a masterpiece at age 35.

But I often share your sentiments.
Maybe, if the world last that long and if I write again. I have't seriously written anything in 2 years. Just been very uninspired and it feels pointless.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe, if the world last that long and if I write again. I have't seriously written anything in 2 years. Just been very uninspired and it feels pointless.

As an aspiring writer and artist, I can relate. Even now.. but if we give up we've defeated ourselves psychologically. Even I have to reassure myself there's always a path even if I can't yet see it.

There's a clear vision... but the time it takes to implement can be quite discouraging. I am not one for patience. Let alone writers block... but I think if we have a vision we shouldn't waste it.