• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to Go from Introvert to Extrovert

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
The catch with doing this is that if you focus on building skills related to less-preferred functions, you are not growing the skills of your preferred functions. Just as "one object cannot be in two places at the same time." ("unless it's a bird or quantum," yes, I know....)

For example. For years I focused on building extraverted thinking and sensing skills because I had to for my chosen occupation. I am literally NOT the same person I was when I was in my 20s, before I made this conscious decision.

My job requires me to be something other than I am and it can mess with my head. I need to focus on facts, dates, times and be <gasp> nurturing and helpful dealing with people on the <double gasp> phone. I have to build myself up for days spent on the phone, give myself pep talks. And it leaves me in a foul mood.

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
My job requires me to be something other than I am and it can mess with my head. I need to focus on facts, dates, times and be <gasp> nurturing and helpful dealing with people on the <double gasp> phone. I have to build myself up for days spent on the phone, give myself pep talks. And it leaves me in a foul mood.

I work on the phones on a daily basis and that is why I am such a recluse at home I need to recharge and deal with a job I can barely stand to do, I am so glad that I am getting back into school next year. What sucks about my job though is I am good at it, I cut through people's emotional bullshit and make them accept reality, and what they can actually do about it, instead of just whining.

R

RDF

Three quick, general points:

1) I kind of like what "?" posted. There are definitely some Introvert types that can extravert very well and vice versa. What might be a stretch for one type might be a piece of cake for another.

2) One of the big lessons of MBTI is that the MBTI itself tends to be perceived differently to some extent by different types. IOW, one personality type might see the MBTI as prescriptive, another might see it as informative, another might see it as transformative, etc. And each of those viewpoints might be seen as a reason to embrace MBTI or to fight it.

I tend to see MBTI as transformative. As an INFP I seek ways to improve myself, and MBTI gives me insight into how other functions and types work. So I tend to welcome the opportunity to try out new functions and operate outside my natural comfort zone as an INFP. (I'm not saying that all INFPs are like me; but I think there's a subgroup of INFPs like me.) And if I'm favorably disposed to trying out other functions, I'm probably going to try harder than some other types to make those other functions work for me. And that leads me to the next point:

3) If working outside one's natural functions is uncomfortable, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not doable or harmful. It may just mean you weren't ready for it. Growth isn't something that happens overnight. Sometimes one needs to try a new function or environment out a few times before it starts to feel like a good fit. If at first you don't succeed...

I've hit this situation many times. I tried a new job or a new skill for a while, it was uncomfortable and a bad fit, so I gave it up. But I hate to admit defeat, and I mulled it over for a while (sometimes years) and then tried it again at a later date. With the extra preparation and experience, on the second (or third or fifth) time around it suddenly turned out to be a good fit and even a lot of fun. Mastery of a tough skill can be the best and most rewarding kind of fun.

So personally, I don't rule out anything. One of my favorite quotes is from the Roman playwright Lucretius: "I am human, and nothing human is alien to me." (Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.)

FL

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To my parents' credit they never made me feel inferior for being introverted, but since when do people listen to their parents?

My parents used to make me feel inferior for being introverted. This is the main reason for why I have completely turned around.