• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP pushed into unstable

Fred 1982

Hi there,
Does anyone else have experience with ENFPs being pushed into instability sure to working within systems that are too rigid, too much responsibility, and not feeling connected to anyone?
That seems to be my experience after training in medicine in my late 20s, bring discontent at work, it spilling over into all areas of life, and then going off the rails.
I've been trying to get back to a more stable place over the past few years but then a few months ago quit my job (still in medicine) and now feel I need to leave medicine behind to become more myself again. It's been 3 months but I still feel completely warn out with no idea how to move forward.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
If you hate your job and feel like you are not growing anymore, you should quit. Regardless of your type.

Some keep struggling, hoping for things to change because they have kids, need financial security, or have been invested too much in a career. These same people soon hit rock bottom, and become a miserable wreck.

Your relationship with your job, is almost similar to your relationship with any person. If it makes you woeful and piteous more than happy and accomplished, run.

Starry

Hi there,
Does anyone else have experience with ENFPs being pushed into instability sure to working within systems that are too rigid, too much responsibility, and not feeling connected to anyone?
That seems to be my experience after training in medicine in my late 20s, bring discontent at work, it spilling over into all areas of life, and then going off the rails.
I've been trying to get back to a more stable place over the past few years but then a few months ago quit my job (still in medicine) and now feel I need to leave medicine behind to become more myself again. It's been 3 months but I still feel completely warn out with no idea how to move forward.

Hi Fred... fellow ENFP here.

And this is like the fourth or fifth time I've come here wanting to respond because I do feel like I understand the condition you are referring to... but I keep getting tripped-up by your use of the words "unstable" and "stable" and it makes all the difference in the world really...but how to explain what I mean...?

Like, I never think of ENFPs needing to be *pushed* into instability as if against our own will...especially when exposed to the conditions you describe. We are naturally wired to shine and kick some serious butt in unstable conditions and will generally go there willingly if exposed to too much of a stable thing. Like being forced to work within a rigid system where everything is literally clockwork and predictable and void of all the things we were born to do. I'm just thinking that your trip down instability lane may be more of a choice than you are allowing yourself to imagine.

Because we can so easily do that. When all things are possible and we find ourselves standing at a crossroad where choosing to go right demonstrates how brilliant we are and how well we've internalized the socio-cultural values that surround us...while choosing to go left makes us seem like a fool... How hard do you think it would be for dominant Ne to convince you you have no desire for the fool's path...? you desperately want to return to what you have called stability...but some unknown force seems to prevent that from happening at every turn. Here I was trying so hard to return to a more stable place when some unknown force caused me to quit my job.

What do you think is going on...really?