• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to have two types?

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So here's the thing:
The first time i took the test, i was typed as an ENTJ. A year later, I retook the test an ended up as an ENTP. Since then, everytime i took the test or a similar one, i got typed as an ENTP. And most of the time i am one. ENTPs are often portrayed as the layed back guy who don't think he's better than the other, which is not really my case. I have a rather big ego and i like to make strategies, witch is more likely ENTJ. To when i'm on a good mood i could get compared to jack sparrow, and when am on a bad mood i act like Gilgamesh from fate zero (On a less extreme level of course). So i'm asking, is it possible to have two types, depending of the mood of the person? Or am i just an ENTP with a NPD ? And are there similar situations with different types?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, because the system doesn't allow for that. However, online tests are often stereotypical and unreliable, as well as online type descriptions, and the types themselves are far too limited and boxed in to allow for human complexity anyway. Pretty much no one is a "perfect fit" for their type, and pretty much no one literally is their type description. So just go with whichever one you feel like fits better; it's not like you can't discover later, as you learn more, that it was something else after all.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
So here's the thing:
The first time i took the test, i was typed as an ENTJ. A year later, I retook the test an ended up as an ENTP. Since then, everytime i took the test or a similar one, i got typed as an ENTP. And most of the time i am one. ENTPs are often portrayed as the layed back guy who don't think he's better than the other, which is not really my case. I have a rather big ego and i like to make strategies, witch is more likely ENTJ. To when i'm on a good mood i could get compared to jack sparrow, and when am on a bad mood i act like Gilgamesh from fate zero (On a less extreme level of course). So i'm asking, is it possible to have two types, depending of the mood of the person? Or am i just an ENTP with a NPD ? And are there similar situations with different types?

LOL ENTPs are usually definition of narcissism. First if you are ENTJ you won't ask "Why?". ENTJs are more similar to ESTP then ENTP. :D

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm of the opinion that type can change throughout life.

Mesmeric_Moon

Soul Reaver
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm of the opinion that type can change throughout life.
Possibly, but you can have only one type at a certain point in time/period in your life, so to answer the OP question: No.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
There's fact and there's theory.

When in my youth I was a very bright boy, I told my mom about the atomic model. Electrons circulating the protons. To my surprise, my mom told there's just models and theories of atoms. To me, this seemed like blasphemy. I was trusting of the model, I was a very bright boy not older than 11 and I had found this, it was a moment to cherish.

Well, my mom was right. There had been the Rutherford model of atoms, which was grossly incorrect. There were newer and better atom models at the time I pondered about these things. These included cloud models of probabilistic electron distributions. I've still not learned these models thoroughly even though I've gotten good results (4/5) from university entry level physics courses, totaling 12 study weeks.

To get to your idea. I'm an ENTJ, or maybe ENTP. The MBTI is a model of personalities. The explaining power of that model can be measured to have an explaining power at some level. The model explains the scientific phenomenon at some level. The explanatory power is greater than zero, and it's less than perfect. Perfect explanatory levels are not obtained in fields other than mathematics and physics. The circumstances just get too complex for us to have a complete understanding of it.

You can't change what someone else's theory states. If the Rutherford's atom model predicts some behavior, then that's what the Rutherford's atom model predicts. You can evaluate the model's correctness though. For most purposes, it is grossly incorrect. Then there's better models. These can be used to better results. There may be better models available, or maybe not, but for most people the better models may be too hard to follow through if you don't dedicate good part of your time to it.

You shouldn't ask if you comply to the model, but you should ask what the model offers you. The model is a tool. What does the MBTI's system offer to you in it's claim you might be ENTJ or some other type? Put it to the test. That's what I did, and I'm an ENTJ. Or, maybe ENTP. Probably. MBTI offers a huge "maybe" to me and maybe something else. This insight offers me something of value, but the insight is wearing thin.

These kinds of "maybe" are the kinds of maybes I'm kind of OK with, but they hardly offer me the definitive insight about me. What do they offer you?

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTJs are more similar to ESTP then ENTP. :D

23c.gif

No. But you can evolve. You can be better then yesterday yourself.;)

Isn't evolving the same as changing though? It seems to me like you're both describing the same thing but wording it differently.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp

No it is not. INTP and ENTP are similar.
ENTJ and ENTP are total different types.
ENTJ is when you put ESTP's speed and charm on INTJ. :bye:
There is a reason why so many ENTJs are mistypes as ESxP. ;)

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No it is not. INTP and ENTP are similar.
ENTJ and ENTP are total different types.
ENTJ is when you put ESTP's speed and charm on INTJ. :bye:
There is a reason why so many ENTJs are mistypes as ESxP. ;)

Part of the reason might be that ESxPs have gained a certain reputation.
And by your logic, an ENTP would be when you put certain ESTJ traits on an INTP.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Part of the reason might be that ESxPs have gained a certain reputation.
And by your logic, an ENTP would be when you put certain ESTJ traits on an INTP.

No. Because ENTP and INTP are similar types. :bye:

ESxP and ISTP also , especially E8 ones can be personification of ENTJ but when you get deep down you won't see N traits. The main difference between ESxP and ENTJ is irrationally of first one and with ISTP is calculation pros/conns when see the object. ENTJ is incredible high risk taker. Also because of Te ENTJ values loyalty , organization , revolution ([xSTP also) like ENFJ and can sometimes act like the most high logical-strict machine ISTJ. :D

rav3n

So here's the thing:
NPD isn't associated to type. Any type can have NPD.

This is a direct link to a PDF download of a study that attempts to correlate personality disorders and MBTI types. You'll note that NPD isn't correlated to any type, although many disorders appear to have correlation to NTP.

https://www.uccs.edu/Documents/dseg...igation-Jungs-types-and-PD-features-JPT-2.pdf

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fair enough I guess...I just hope you realize your version of the system is asymmetrical.

INTP and ENTP possess same functions and because of this they are similar in the sense of debate, thinking, imagination, childlike behivour and stuff. ENTP have a better people managing skills and is more free spirit while INTP is more concentrate in learning various stuff and do things as somebody command it (ENTJ + INTP) In reality ENTP is far then real extrovert who wants to be always around people. This is ESTP "do things for personal gain and revolutionary in the same time" instead "learn and invent things for global gain" xNTP and when you gain this energy to INTJ you got ENTJ. From my point of view ENTJ is just an INTJ's mind on constant movement to improve systems around them. ;)