• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using MBTI as an Excuse

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree. There can be a danger of spending so much time 'fixing' your weaknesses that you never develop your strengths. I suppose if a weakness bothers someone enough to complain a lot then it is worth fixing.

All my life people have tried to make me more outgoing and would offer up advice. I used to try and settled into a compromise of smiling a lot but saying little. It tended to just discourage me and added to self esteem issues. I no longer care at all about trying to be extroverted and only smile at people when I mean it. It is such a relief and there are many positive qualities I can develop that are naturally a part of my introversion. 🐸

I dealt with that too -- feeling like I had to be more extroverted and social. It was something worth developing a bit, but not at the expense of my self-esteem and always feeling inadequate while not acknowledging the value of my quieter aspects. I no longer really feel like I have to be "on" or that I always have to be reaching out and initiating things.

Again, I did have to develop it a bit, and learn to be less passive and more initiating just to make "me" function better, but not to the point of becoming someone that I really am not. It really is a matter of figuring out who you really are over time and then being okay with it, even if there are some things you can become better at.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there is a difference between being able to see your flaws and seeing type as an explanation for some of them vs using type as an excuse.
Some people seem to think that if you recognize your flaws but don't overcome them overnight then you are just making excuses or not trying.
It can be hard to uproot certain flaws because they often don't exist separately from your whole person. They are often part of a whole package, and some of that package is pretty good. I often find a flaw is "applying" a strength to the wrong area.

I suppose the most frustrating thing I connect to my type is my time management and organization issues. I do see it as a flipside to certain strengths. I have the strengths of being flexible, imaginative, patient, and prioritizing my emotional well-being over tasks. These strengths may be misapplied at times. While I don't use that as an excuse, I also have found that accepting that my flaws not necessarily worse than the flaws in others actually helps improves them. Feeling guilty for running late or being messy tends to make it worse. Having compassion for myself instead of feeling like my brain is defective seems to enable better focus (perhaps accessing lesser preferred thinking styles without the mental block of defensiveness).

I don't think that being INFP means I am deeper, more empathetic, more insightful, more creative, more imaginative, etc.

A common INFP blindspot (and really, it must be said, INFJs have this too so I hate when it only gets pegged on us) is to feel they are too different from others, so that no one can understand them and no one may accept them for who they are. It's not special snowflake so much as feeling defective or outcast because you are sensitive to signals of value and aware of your emotional proximity to others. I think some of this does come from not being mirrored as children if your parents are not a similar type, and perhaps it even stems from actually being outcast in some way. Instead of using type as an excuse, it can be a relief to see why people respond to you as you do; you aren't inherently "bad" or "wrong". Hopefully once you are aware of the blindspot, you will use the awareness to avoid some of the problems it tends to cause for you.

For example, I apply my emotional sensitivity a lot less socially and am much less shy because of it. I don't personalize stuff that isn't personal as much; when you're a young INFP, every face can look like an emotional message to you, and it can be emotionally overwhelming, so that you may withdraw in a stubbornness to not be affected by others' valuations. Then you learn that their responses are often rather detached from what is going on; that grimace isn't directed towards you, but they have some stress in their personal life leaking out. Learning about type helped me realize how much my social anxiety was about a mix of emotional sensitivity and stubbornness to not be affected by others.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree. There can be a danger of spending so much time 'fixing' your weaknesses that you never develop your strengths. I suppose if a weakness bothers someone enough to complain a lot then it is worth fixing.
I have often read, usually in the context of career advice, that you gain more by developing your strengths than by trying to correct your weaknesses. We don't all have to be equally good at everything. Then we would all be the same.

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
Anyway, some people actively use type as an excuse, others are not using it as an excuse and might honestly believe something to be true.

I started to think of how common it might be to sort of create an identity based on mbti type. I would guess that mbti and other personality theories are popular among people who are at some level searching for themselves. So it might feel comforting to have A Type to grasp on, to reclaim yourself. Not really using it as excuse (which would be a conscious act to get away with something).

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I might as well say I do not care about mvti but at the sametime I care because by categorizing, we will be able to find out how others of a similar nature, solve the same problem as we do. That was one reason why I studied mbti. Another reason was because I wanted to find a way to know more about myself, and see which mbti I suit the most.

As an INFJ, however, I am quite slack at personal values and spiritual stuff unlike how the stereotype focus on so call helping or having a religion. And I hate doing charity.. My main interest is the supernatural and the occult, but my alternative is computers and technology stuff. I stretch miles away and I always procrastinate, except not going far too late.

However by learning mbti and cognitive function I see that the way that at least, my own brain, seemed to be wired in a certain way that even I cannot change. Something we born with, as if unable to change. However this means no excuse to me in learning and adapting to the something that everybody needs to adapt, and I ended up finding other ways to do the same thing that others can do easily using a standard method.