• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How To Find Out Whether You Are Introvert vs Extrovert

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So by this logic is it impossible for a blind and deaf/mute person to be an extrovert since processing 'outer' stimuli is so much more difficult?

And sorry, I just quoted you :shrug:

I would hope that the deaf/blind person can still physically feel things and would get their fix by being touched and hugged by their loved ones. Never been in that position, but I'd imagine that's how it is for an extrovert/extravert who is in that dilemma would like.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would hope that the deaf/blind person can still physically feel things and would get their fix by being touched and hugged by their loved ones. Never been in that position, but I'd imagine that's how it is for an extrovert/extravert who is in that dilemma would like.

What if you lathered them in novocain?

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The popular definition of extrovert and introvert revolving around 'being energized' by people is woefully lacking and probably should be abandoned.

Hear; hear! :rock:

My experience has been that introverts lack more self-confidence and genuine comfort with themselves than extroverts. Some introverts may fear letting go and diving into the 'outer world' because they think the rest of the world won't understand them and might look down on them. Some avoid many external interactions because they fear humiliation or being perceived negatively. I think, for some, the lack of desire to interact is precisely because of discomfort in their own skin.

Excellent point. For the extreme introverts I know, this seems to be the case. They keep a heavily-guarded inner core being that they feel must not be exposed to the world, for, if they were exposed, they fear they would be rejected. In essence, they don't like themselves. This may explain, at least in part, why extraverts tend to report being "happier" than introverts on average.

Well said. :cheers:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if you lathered them in novocain?

What is with you and these 'what if' scenarios? :laugh: Even then, no, he's not going to die from a lack of social exposures. I think these kinds of people 'know' that somebody is near them. We also live in the future, with technological advancement, and can now cure blindness and hearing problems, so :harhar:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
In older English texts, "s"s were originally written as "f"s. Are we incorrect to use "s"s now?

I prefer current dictionary standards, thanks, which don't seem to have a preference for either spelling.

Both spellings are in the dictionary, buuut to expand on my first post, not only did Jung — who coined the term, and aptly referred to later "o" spellings as "bad latin" — and Myers both spell it "extraversion," but it's also spelled with an "a" in all the most well-known MBTI sources, in virtually all the leading Big Five sources, and in most other academic-psychology sources.

You can be a special snowflake if you want, of course, but it seems to me that there's at least some advantage to having a consistency of spelling for the main terms (at least) involved in a respectable field of study — particularly in the context of journals (and forums) devoted to discussions of that field.

And again, when it comes to the field of personality psychology generally (not just the MBTI), the "extraversion" spelling isn't just slightly favored; it's overwhelmingly favored.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Hm...

From my experience, ISxx types seem more ambiverted, or at least appearing extroverted. The same is true with ENxx types and introversion.

Tentatively.

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think that energy level is helpful in typing oneself as an extravert or introvert because it is very context dependent (an introvert among close friends or family can appear extraverted and talkative in the right mood, as an extravert can be very quiet when not surrounded by people or stimulated enough).

A better way is to see where the person focuses his thoughts and how they manifest when expressed:

- Extraverts: focused on objects in the external environment and their own interaction with it. This manifests in a surveying manner encompassing many aspects gleaned from the environment.

- Introverts: focused on their internal impressions and thoughts as well as how the external environment evokes these in them. This manifests in a focused manner, whereby a few aspects are explored in depth (with multiple points linked to these few aspects).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I would think that energy that comes from a physical object would be different than the kind of energy one gets from engaging with the outer world vs their inner world. And yes, I do think that E/I is also more than just energy in versus out, and I do wonder if perhaps I have angered some by not putting that in my OP.

(sorry if i'm typing weird, its 4am here and i cannot sleep)

I don't see anger. I see a need for accuracy and clarification.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think that energy level is helpful in typing oneself as an extravert or introvert because it is very context dependent (an introvert among close friends or family can appear extraverted and talkative in the right mood, as an extravert can be very quiet when not surrounded by people or stimulated enough).

A better way is to see where the person focuses his thoughts and how they manifest when expressed:

- Extraverts: focused on objects in the external environment and their own interaction with it. This manifests in a surveying manner encompassing many aspects gleaned from the environment.

- Introverts: focused on their internal impressions and thoughts as well as how the external environment evokes these in them. This manifests in a focused manner, whereby a few aspects are explored in depth (with multiple points linked to these few aspects).

This actually makes a lot of sense, thank you!