• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

writing styles?

SwimmerGal97

It appears some types have certain writing styles like getting straight to the point or being flamboyant or being sarcastic or perhaps abrasive and I was wondering which type my writing style matched (or types, the quirks of writing are probably more linked to functions than types but anything will help)

I'm trying to keep this short but typically my writing (in forums that is) is like a stream of conciousness in very VERY long sentences (Actually I do this in a lot of writing, I have to be careful. In coursework I will often write 6 line sentences trying to fit everything in), lots of parenthesis (in case you didn't notice) because I will want to add points that are related but don't flow (so to help the flow I put brackets slap bang in the middle of my sentence.....because nothing helps the flow like breaking it up) or because I want to add a sarcastic side or maybe even answer myself (particularly in posts to do with typing I leave my whole thought process in) or explain myself. Finally, anecdotes. So many anecdotes. Strange, a little too in depth with the detail and sometimes rambling off topic (I almost added a little story about one the times I started out making one point then told a story and ended up on something completely different but the irony would be too painful...)

whaddya think? I've previously been told Ne and ENFP but I wanted a post dedicated to just writing style. Also, are there any particular things you've noticed about writing styles for any type, not just mine :)

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I'd imagine that ISTXs have a straight to the point kind of writing style, though I have no evidence to prove this.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I imagine Ni would be pretty good at abstract writing and allegories. Personally, my writing style is kind of weird in that it's both simplistic and complex at the same time. Words themselves being simple, and content being much more complex and deep. At least that's how I wrote my book.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
At least that's how I wrote my book.

You...you wrote a book? Like an actual book? Good Lord, I admire you. I haven't finished any of my writing pursuits.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You...you wrote a book? Like an actual book? Good Lord, I admire you. I haven't finished anything in my writing life.

I did NaNoWriMo in 2012. I finished it, and it's probably my greatest accomplishment. :wubbie:

But it's been three years and it's in heavy need of some editing. I have some major changes I want to make to it that would make me much more happy with it, and I want to add more substance to it so the pacing isn't too fast and flesh out a few of the characters more. It's also set up for a sequel that maybe I'll be bothered to write one day. As of right now, I've never let anyone read it because pre-editing, it's kind of embarrassing. But I'm really happy that I actually got one of my ideas written down. Actuslly right this very second I'm wearing my NaNoWriMo 2012 winner shirt hah. :blush:

To expand on what I mean by the vague "simple but complex"... let's say I wanted to kill off a character I'd describe the situation and emotional atmosphere and maybe last words if I decide they deserve them, using rather simple language to describe what would otherwise be a complex situation. And then I might and it with... "and then he died." And leave it at that. End the chapter or whatever. No descriptions of eyes going dim or bodies going limp or anything. Just "and then he died." I feel like it kind of leaves an impact that way because it's just more plain than expected.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I am doing first person, my writing style tends to 'change' to the personality style of the narrator. At the moment, my main character, Hector is an off the reels ENFJ 2. His fraternal twin, Ricky, an eSTP is the total opposite of how he is, as is Tony, his eNTJ parter. And also, age comes into it as well. Younger characters tend to be more scattered than the older, more grounded ones.

But if the story is in third person, it tends to be in my style. It's usually relevant and straight to the point, but it gets deeper as I go on. It gets interesting and intriguing.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I did NaNoWriMo in 2012. I finished it, and it's probably my greatest accomplishment. :wubbie:

But it's been three years and it's in heavy need of some editing. I have some major changes I want to make to it that would make me much more happy with it, and I want to add more substance to it so the pacing isn't too fast and flesh out a few of the characters more. It's also set up for a sequel that maybe I'll be bothered to write one day. As of right now, I've never let anyone read it because pre-editing, it's kind of embarrassing. But I'm really happy that I actually got one of my ideas written down. Actuslly right this very second I'm wearing my NaNoWriMo 2012 winner shirt hah. :blush:

To expand on what I mean by the vague "simple but complex"... let's say I wanted to kill off a character I'd describe the situation and emotional atmosphere and maybe last words if I decide they deserve them, using rather simple language to describe what would otherwise be a complex situation. And then I might and it with... "and then he died." And leave it at that. End the chapter or whatever. No descriptions of eyes going dim or bodies going limp or anything. Just "and then he died." I feel like it kind of leaves an impact that way because it's just more plain than expected.

Man. One day I'll finish a book. One day. How did you do it? Like, the motivation and all that?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Man. One day I'll finish a book. One day. How did you do it? Like, the motivation and all that?

I'd force myself to sit down and write the required amount each day even if I was tired or didn't feel like it. I'd write more than required if I felt like it that day. When I wasn't in class or busy I'd work on it before getting started doing something else. I was mostly driven by the desire to get the story down on paper no matter how sloppy the first draft, and the desire not to fail. It also helped me to write a very very basic outline. I wrote down major events that needed to happen, but when it came time to write, I just sat down and let whatever wanted to happen between those events just happen. I'm the type of person who always writes in order and doesn't jump around, whether it be creative writing or academic, because it's what comes naturally to me and because that way there's less room for plot holes. It basically just comes down to willpower. You can do it, fetus!!! :D