• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inability to talk about feelings to people you know well/ Function?

lume

I have a question, why, and which function causes it, when you somehow can't talk about your feelings, interests and all that stuff to people you know well, but to somehow more unknown people you feel like you can talk freely about such things?
I find it completely hard to tell my family members (okay, I don't have the best relatio ship to them) or my best friend when I feel sad about sonething. Or I can't really tell them the real meaning of my tattoo, my favourite musicians, things like that.
To strangers or people that I recently met it's really not that much of a problem.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't think it's related to function too strongly.

I do relate to some degree though. It's much easier for me to talk about something to strangers, than it is to people I know. Part of it I believe, is because strangers have no background on you, and therefore can't use other information to sharper judgements. Further, you have much less stake with them and effectively nothing to lose. Thus, there is significantly less social risk involved.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some may find it easier to open up and talk to strangers because if you don't like how they can react, you can shut them out without suffering any repercussions. To tell someone you love and care about something deeply important about you and your feelings and to be rejected is, I think, the most devastating feeling in the world. I can only relate to a certain extent; I talk about myself a lot more here on the forum than I do with people in real life, but I am very closed off and private with irl strangers and don't talk about myself unless prompted (and even then feel very uncomfortable with it). I don't talk to my family members about private feelings, but I have one very close friend I can talk to about anything. I honestly don't know how we became so close in that regard. I also tend to share with my best friend--mostly venting and occasionally when I'm in a depressive mood, although I often regret sharing those feelings later and feel guilty about it.

I can't say if this is related to any function or not. If there is a correlation, I'm not sure which would be involved. Perhaps there's a stronger correlation with enneagram?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I can't say if this is related to any function or not. If there is a correlation, I'm not sure which would be involved. Perhaps there's a stronger correlation with enneagram?

If there is any correlation with MBTI, I would say EFJ types probably have an easier time opening up than others, though I don't know.

For enneagram, I would think sx types probably have an easier time opening up and sp types would have a harder time opening up.

Cygnus

I'll talk about anything with anyone who can stand to be around me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If there is any correlation with MBTI, I would say EFJ types probably have an easier time opening up than others, though I don't know.

For enneagram, I would think sx types probably have an easier time opening up and sp types would have a harder time opening up.

I would mostly agree with this, maybe so types too. I've always had a hard time verbalizing my feelings to some degree. I'm much better at it now than I was when I was younger but it will never be without difficulty.