• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird cognitive functions scores?

DreamBeliever

I took the Keys2cognition functions test online again this morning, & this is what I got.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************************** (35.4)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************ (12.7)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.3)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.2)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.9)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************** (34)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.5)
excellent use

These seem like weird scores to me. Like, how could someone have high Ni & Se? Maybe I'm misinterpreting the questions on it? Are my lowest scores maybe more telling of my personality?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I took the Keys2cognition functions test online again this morning, & this is what I got.

good use
unused
average use
excellent use
limited use
good use
good use
excellent use

These seem like weird scores to me. Like, how could someone have high Ni & Se? Maybe I'm misinterpreting the questions on it? Are my lowest scores maybe more telling of my personality?

My overall opinion would be "Don't place too much trust in online personality tests". They are often unreliable or just plain full of it. I wouldn't spend too long trying to interpret this scores.

Destiny

A wannabe dog

good use
unused
average use
excellent use
limited use
good use
good use
excellent use

Those online tests can't be trusted. I took that test at Keys2Cognition and they gave me high score for both Ni and Ti.

You seem like IxFP to me though, your signature is very Fi lol.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I took the Keys2cognition functions test online again this morning, & this is what I got. ...

Dario Nardi's one of the leading cognitive functions guys (as you may know), and his test (the one you took) is arguably the most-linked-to cognitive functions test but, as further discussed in the spoiler in this post, INTJs typically get high Te scores and high Ti scores (with Te not substantially favored over Ti), when they take Nardi's test. They also tend to get high Ni scores and high Ne scores (with Ni not substantially favored over Ne). And INFJs often get Fi scores that are as high or higher than their Fe scores. And all the IN types tend to relate pretty strongly to Ti. And so on.

As I understand it, there has never been a cognitive functions test where the results come anywhere close to lining up with the Harold Grant model expectations, where INTJs are supposedly Ni-Te-Fi-Se and INTPs are supposedly Ti-Ne-Si-Fe — and FYI, that's a function model that's inconsistent with Jung, inconsistent with Myers, has no respectable body of evidence behind it, and has never been endorsed by the official MBTI folks.

I've been involved in forum "type me" exercises for five years now, and they often include people posting their results from a variety of tests, some dichotomy-based and some function-based. And that experience has led me to conclude that, assuming someone has reasonably well-defined preferences, they're more likely to correctly type themselves using dichotomy-based tests than tests (or analysis) based on the functions. And if they've got one or more preferences that are in or near the middle, I think dichotomy-based tests are more likely to correctly indicate that situation as well.

If you have any interest in taking the official "Step I" MBTI, here's a link to an online copy.

I suspect you'll come out N, and I suspect that's because — wait for it — you're an N. (If you come out T, I'll still think you're an F, though — and I could tell you a little more about why if you come out T, but I don't think that's particularly likely.)

And just in case you're interested in reading more about the Harold Grant function stack (and its associated "tandems"), and about the relationship between the dichotomies and the functions, the place of the functions (or lack thereof) in the MBTI's history, and the tremendous gap between the dichotomies and the functions in terms of scientific respectability, you'll find a lot of potentially eye-opening discussion in this TC Wiki page and the posts it links to.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Crap test false theory.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always score highly on intuition, although I don't think i'm intuitive dominant/aux. Types I have got from the results range from INFJ, ENTJ, and INTJ. It was hard to score a high result on Se and Si, with the exception of the celebrity types quiz.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't take those tests seriously. If you are looking for a good test that is more function-oriented than dichotomy-oriented, then use a Socionics test. For MBTI-based tests, take [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]'s advice and stick to the 4 letter dichotomy code indicators.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took the above test and scored clear NTP with slightly favored borderline extroversion(11/21). Does this make INTP or ENTP any clearer...?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The type preferences and Harold Grant (and full John Beebe) stacking order are based on what are called "ego states" http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nitive-functions/77084-ego-backbone-type.html which are basically specialized complexes. The K2C is assuming 1) type can be figured from function "strength" or most "use"; 2) the functions are skills that it asks you how much you do, and if you answer that you do it a lot, it must indicate a "strong" function, and likely preference. 3) some of the skills tagged onto sertain functions are overgeneralized, such as Fi "knowing what's important". That technically could be connected with Fi, but for most people, it's not a differentiated conscious judgment. But most end up scoring high on it anyway, for its broad generalization. a) Also, making too much of the attitude difference, in terms of these defining behaviors. Like some of the things they're associating with Ni can be done using Ne (pay attention to the symbolic, future focus, etc.) the only difference is whether you turn inward or outward for the source of the inferences.

We all do all of those things, and it's not always a type-specific "use" of a differentiated function. Type is determined by the ego's dominant function and orientation (attitude), which will generally default to technically "strongest", but because of this, you might not even recognize it, for taking so for granted. (This test doesn't take something like this into consideration). And for the sake of balance, a function of the opposite j/p mode, and opposite orientation will also be preferred. (Which likely might be the second "strongest, but may be more noticeable, especially if it's introverted).
All of the other functions connected to associated ego-states (such as the inferior, etc) are reflections of these (i.e. they "collect" in a space lower in consciousness from being suppressed in favor of their opposites, the preferred functions). There are many reasons you might select high on doing things associated with [their definitions of] the functions. You could be in the grip of a lower ego state a lot, and thus all the more aware of doing these uncharacteristic things. (Like the so-called "tertiary loop" where your tertiary appears to surpass the auxiliary, leading to an impossible "two strongest function" combination). It might just be the general functionally undifferentiated behavior, like everyone being able to see and touch what's before them (very general "Se"). Again, the test allows for none of this to be considered. Or, finally, it could be the limitation of the test question and the definitions it's based on.

So those tests are at best a potential clue as to type.
The way your scores came out, Ni being so high, it is likely the dominant, and you would have to simply look at the next highest extraverted judgment, which is Fe. Fi is "stronger", but this is probably Fe doign some of the same things Fi questions ask about. Like one question is "get in touch physically with others", and every Fe preferrer is probably going to score "exactly me" on that. But it's actually not Fe, it's Fi+Se (people on INTPc reverse-engineered it years ago, to see how it was scored. So right there, people are even misunderstanding the questions, as "in sync" is associated with Fe, but the clue is "physical"). So that would help explain why Se and Fi would come out high for you, (even though one is inferior, and the other is deeper in the shadow).
So if you're searching for your type from this, it's pointing to INFJ.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Tests can be badly designed and answers biased but it can also be that people are too blined by MBTI models that are basically based on nothing, from what I can see.
Therefore the tests such as this one provides at least some degree of empirical data, what gives them more weight than a purely simetrical model that came out of nothing. You can even go so far that you throw all 16 types out of the window and say that this test results are correct representation of your personality.

Why would this score be weird ?

jakopic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does this make INTP or ENTP any clearer...?

I have seem scores like yours many times(from description in your sig). You are INTP, low Se is the indicator. High Fi,Ti is pretty common for E4w5 NPs and the Ni should be high based of socionics model. Your type is usually caused by high stress in youth, difficult environment.

To the OP: I would advise you to reconsider INFJ, it is normal for this test to get high both Ni and Se. Se is hard to measure with a questionnaire.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seem scores like yours many times(from description in your sig). You are INTP, low Se is the indicator. High Fi,Ti is pretty common for E4w5 NPs and the Ni should be high based of socionics model. Your type is usually caused by high stress in youth, difficult environment.

To the OP: I would advise you to reconsider INFJ, it is normal for this test to get high both Ni and Se. Se is hard to measure with a questionnaire.

Do you mean to say that you believe types are caused by environment/upbringing and not nature? Or do you mean the fact that I have irregularly high Fi use for an INTP is likely due to stress?
I tell my dad "18-35 year olds today have more stress than a mental patient back when (he was) my age," and he'll just say bullshit and claim that I have everything comparatively easy.
For whatever reason, I think the way that I live has caused me to have to use Fi to make some judgements, and Fe kinda does nothing.

jakopic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you mean to say that you believe types are caused by environment/upbringing and not nature? Or do you mean the fact that I have irregularly high Fi use for an INTP is likely due to stress?
I tell my dad "18-35 year olds today have more stress than a mental patient back when (he was) my age," and he'll just say bullshit and claim that I have everything comparatively easy.
For whatever reason, I think the way that I live has caused me to have to use Fi to make some judgements, and Fe kinda does nothing.

There is a very complex dynamic going on when talking about the environmental influence on the genetic "patent" of character. This field is very poorly researched and im not going to talk about this. What I mean is INxP will often have to develope Ti to explain the what is going on analytically(one might want to become an intellectual in later life) and use Fi to show how they value their opinion(pushed into an emotional response). The functions can intertwine in a similar way as Te can be supported by Fi.

Its common for a strong Ti user to ignore Fe. Fi on the other hand should have a positive integration with Fe.

Your dad sound like a Se dom.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
So those tests are at best a potential clue as to type.
The way your scores came out, Ni being so high, it is likely the dominant, and you would have to simply look at the next highest extraverted judgment, which is Fe. Fi is "stronger", but this is probably Fe doign some of the same things Fi questions ask about. Like one question is "get in touch physically with others", and every Fe preferrer is probably going to score "exactly me" on that. But it's actually not Fe, it's Fi+Se (people on INTPc reverse-engineered it years ago, to see how it was scored. So right there, people are even misunderstanding the questions, as "in sync" is associated with Fe, but the clue is "physical"). So that would help explain why Se and Fi would come out high for you, (even though one is inferior, and the other is deeper in the shadow).
So if you're searching for your type from this, it's pointing to INFJ.

Yeah, I'm seeing INFJ.

[MENTION=24321]DreamBeliever[/MENTION]:

With a lot of the function-oriented tests, scoring high on an introverted function (for example Fi) will also result in a high score on the associated extraverted function (Fe). And vice versa. That kind of makes sense, if you think about it: In real life, if I'm strong on Fi, then I probably have a decent understanding of how Fe works even if it's not something I prefer to use regularly.

Anyway:

Your Ni/Ne and Fi/Fe pairs are all high. But Ni clearly outscores Ne, which points to Ni as the Dom function, with the Aux pair (Fi/Fe) being muddier in terms of results because Aux is weaker than Dom. IOW, I'm seeing Ni/Fe as Dom and Aux, which signifies INFJ.

Meantime, Se is also strong, which can be an indicator that Ni is the Dom function. Ni-Dom INFJs wrestle with their Inferior Se and gain some familiarity with it (a reference to the concept of the Dom and Inferior functions interacting according to the "tandem principle"). But at the same time Si lags considerably, suggesting that the Si/Se pair overall is low in your function stack (IOW, not part of the top two functions). So the Se score could be read as supporting the idea of Ni as the Dom.

I know that's a weird reading of the scores, but it's actually in line with some of the more recent theorizing about how the functions work together. So I'm comfortable with a reading of INFJ from those results.

Also your sig is very NF. As an INFP myself, your sig looks INFJ to me. :)

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a very complex dynamic going on when talking about the environmental influence on the genetic "patent" of character. This field is very poorly researched and im not going to talk about this. What I mean is INxP will often have to develope Ti to explain the what is going on analytically(one might want to become an intellectual in later life) and use Fi to show how they value their opinion(pushed into an emotional response). The functions can intertwine in a similar way as Te can be supported by Fi.

Its common for a strong Ti user to ignore Fe. Fi on the other hand should have a positive integration with Fe.

Your dad sound like a Se dom.

Yes, I do see a lot of people online who say they could be "either INFP or INTP." I think I really could pass for either, so I'll just try to take aspects of both in stride. But to put it simply, I think I would tell people my code is INTP upon being asked. It seems to fit best functionally, considering everything I've gathered.