• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your "kindred spirit foursome"?

Shadow Play

A "kindred spirit foursome" is a group formed by two letters in your type. Keirsey made an attempt at grouping foursomes through his SJ/SP/NT/NF carve-up, but Myers thought any given letter combination could provide meaningful things about one's personality; not just those which corresponded to her eight functions.

Which two letters best predict a good connection between you and those who share those same preferences?

The INs are my pick for kindred spirits. ENTP would be my best fit type that's not an IN.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting thread.

I've a difficult time choosing between NP and FP... I tend to get on great with INFPs, ENFPs, INTPs, and some ENTPs in a way that's extremely comfortable, but the ISFPs and ESFPs are also extremely comfortable - I just haven't known as many where I'm aware of their type. With NP, the other would be ESFP. With FP, the other would be INTP.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
NTs and NJs.

I'm in total alignment with most NTJs, especially INTJs. The ability to sort through ideas and concerns in absolute objectivity regardless of our personal beliefs is highly important.

NTPs. Healthy NTPs make fun of everything in a playful way to challenge pre-established constructs without the intention to really follow through, merely for the intellectualisation of those concepts. I find that to be fascinating and useful in many ways.

ENFJs, not really my cup of tea. Except the ENFJ who works for me, I have met few Fe-doms I can bare talking to more than 5 minutes. I'm pretty confident there are people like the ENFJ I mentioned out there, but they are rare in my personal experience.
Healthy INFJs can be interesting and deep.

If I had to date from this selection, I'll definitely pick an INTJ.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
My answer has long been the INs, and the recycled reckful in the spoiler explains why.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My two would be INxx first, then xNxJ second.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP, ENFP, ENTJ, INFP.

Not much commonality but those are the types I tend to get along best with.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
xxTP & xNTx mostly, with a select few bonus NF’s here & there.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It would have to be the NFs.

There tend to be communication difficulties with INTP,
I don't think I have any particular ties to ENTJ or ISFP or ESFJ,
Casual ISxJs are ok, but Si is my bane.

Other types I tend to connect with would be INTJ and ESFP.

--

Other groups of 4 that might work...

- the N-doms (INFJ, INTJ, ENFP, ENTP)
- the Beta quadra (INFJ, ENFJ, ISTP, ESTP)

STPs aren't types that I tend to be comfortable with, but there are certain similarities between us that might make them count as "kindred".

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I prefer grouping for identification as follows:
NF
NT
SF
ST

I'm most drawn to people who use Fi or Ne, but I'm also highly fond of NTs. I've liked people of all types because I'm not an asshole. I mean ... I am, but it's possible to dig an ESTJ, at least in controlled quantities.

Shadow Play

There tend to be communication difficulties with INTP

What kind of communication difficulties, exactly?

I prefer grouping for identification as follows:
NF
NT
SF
ST

I'm most drawn to people who use Fi or Ne, but I'm also highly fond of NTs. I've liked people of all types because I'm not an asshole. I mean ... I am, but it's possible to dig an ESTJ, at least in controlled quantities.

By "people who use Fi or Ne", do you mean FPs and NPs, or do you refer to those functions in terms not directly tied to type?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

By "people who use Fi or Ne", do you mean FPs and NPs, or do you refer to those functions in terms not directly tied to type?

Good question: Independently, so either/or is fine, and anywhere in stack, but 3rd or higher is most relatable.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

Often there will be disagreement over a point of logic, and when I try to explain where I'm coming from they won't see my point of view, and the conversation ends up going nowhere.

(as you're aware, I'm referring to Ti dominant with Ne auxiliary)

Shadow Play

Often there will be disagreement over a point of logic, and when I try to explain where I'm coming from they won't see my point of view, and the conversation ends up going nowhere.

(as you're aware, I'm referring to Ti dominant with Ne auxiliary)

Or more rather, you would attempt to explain where you're coming from, and then someone would draw attention to a ramification of one of your points or frame it within a more objective viewpoint, and it leads into a debate.

I draw the line at threesome :coffee:

Of course you'd say that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Or more rather, you would attempt to explain where you're coming from, and then someone would draw attention to a ramification of one of your points or frame it within a more objective viewpoint, and it leads into a debate.

I'm not sure why you're changing what I said. :/

Or are you suggesting an alternate way things could go? I'm not sure what you mean.

--

To explain in theoretical terms what I was referring to...

INTP has a logic-for-the-sake-of-logic approach, whereas INFJ has a logic-in-the-context-of-a-perspective approach. So if the INTP's logic isn't fitting in with the INFJ's perspective, there can be a conflict where the INTP is sure they're correct, because it's accurate according to the model they're using, whereas the INFJ goes "yes, however if you approach it from the angle that I'm approaching it from, can't you see how the logic becomes different?" and tries to build a consensus, but there is often a barrier to that consensus being reached, and things moving forward.

Shadow Play

I'm not sure why you're changing what I said. :/

Or are you suggesting an alternate way things could go? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not changing a word you said. I represented your position by saying you "attempt to explain where you're coming from", and then I referred to our previous exchanges where I either clarified which framework you were using, or made a point of framing your argument within a broader context.

This debate is turning into a self-demonstration of what I'm talking about.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm not changing a word you said. I represented your position by saying you "attempt to explain where you're coming from", and then I referred to our previous exchanges where I either clarified which framework you were using, or made a point of framing your argument within a broader context.

This debate is turning into a self-demonstration of what I'm talking about.

I don't type you as an INTP so it's irrelevant. You're not the same type as the people I am inwardly referencing, and the same pattern doesn't manifest, hence our previous exchanges are beside the point.

Shadow Play

I don't type you as an INTP so it's irrelevant. You're not the same type as the people I am inwardly referencing, and the same pattern doesn't manifest, hence our previous exchanges are besides the point.

Ah, so I don't fit within the rigid archetype of an INTP you've subjectivity conceived of, and you're unwilling to adjust this archetype to be more inclusive of possible variations within types. Your method of referencing seems to cross-reference behavioural trends you've drawn between types. That also fits with your preference for visual typing. Sounds a lot like Jungian Introverted Sensing to me.

Of course, what Jungian type you are or aren't doesn't change your MBTI type, so I won't disagree with INFJ if you decide it fits you best, but that would be reason for me to think we're not the same type.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ah, so I don't fit within the rigid archetype of an INTP you've subjectivity conceived of, and you're unwilling to adjust this archetype to be more inclusive of possible variations within types. Your method of referencing seems to cross-reference behavioural trends you've drawn between types. That also fits with your preference for visual typing. Sounds a lot like Jungian Introverted Sensing to me.

Of course, what Jungian type you are or aren't doesn't change your MBTI type, so I won't disagree with INFJ if you decide it fits best, but that would be reason for me to think we're not the same type.

Don't you identify more with the introverted intuitive type than you do with the introverted thinking type? And you're aware that most people on forums (those who are aware of the functions) are referring to Ti dominants when they speak of INTPs. You can argue that that's an incorrect use of terminology, but you should be at least aware of the fact that that's what people mean.

And I didn't conceive of this INTP archetype, it's already a thing. Yes I've had to understand it in my own way, as anyone does, but it's the same thing others are referring to when it comes down to it.

Also, wouldn't visual typing be linked to extroverted sensing if anything? Why introverted sensing?

--

A further note that people can generally use all of the 8 functions in some capacity, so if I actually am using Si in the way I'm referencing people, that doesn't imply that it's my dominant function

Shadow Play

Don't you identify more with the introverted intuitive type than you do with the introverted thinking type? And you're aware that most people on forums are referring to Ti dominants when they speak of INTPs. You can argue that that's an incorrect use of terminology, but you should be at least aware of the fact that that's what people mean.

And I didn't conceive of this INTP archetype, it's already a thing. Yes I've had to understand it in my own way, as anyone does, but it's the same thing others are referring to when it comes down to it.

Also, wouldn't visual typing be linked to extroverted sensing if anything? Why introverted sensing?

I don't particularly identify with any of Jung's types. I was only assuming Ni-Ti as a type for the sake of argument, and I could just as easily argue ENFP or ENTJ using the so-called "nu-MBTI" of quasi-Jungian functions within the Grant function stack (or Beebe's eight function stack, which you prefer to use). Functions are flexible enough where people can shoehorn themselves into them however they want, although it's been my experience that a lot of members of typology forums don't identify well with the purported function stacks for their test type.

I don't think of MBTI types as archetypes in the Jungian sense. An INTP is someone who generally prefers I, N, T, and P responses on dichotomies tests when answering in "shoes off" mode. That's all. This opens up room for all the possible non-MBTI-related variation between personalities.

A Jungian archetype is a mental image present in the collective unconscious, one which an Introverted Sensing type would engage through their reality-challenged abstractions. Sensory impressions (such as facial features) may be internalised and used as the basis for constructing these archetypes which exist only in their minds, and cannot be made understandable to others.

Good luck trying to find any consensus on how best to define your archetypes. Half of all function discussions involve bickering over how best to define the functions. "Let's use Jung's definitions!" "No, let's define functions based on which types they correspond with according to their function stacks!" "Socionics is so much better!"