• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegans of typoc unite!! we have nothing to lose but our groceries!!

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Are you vegan?
No, however I'm against being cruel to animals and hate to see dead bodies in general, I also avoid watching deaths in TV and sometimes on movies because I don't want my eyes to be used to such pictures..
2. Why?
I'm not so crazy about meat, I rarely have beef but often white meat..
3. Name three of your favorite vegan eats.
Boiled corns, French fries, hummus
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan?
Not being able to have cheese, I'm a cheese lover, besides it's gonna be hard to get sufficient calcium from sources other than dairies..
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan?
I don't know, but there seem to be some delicious vegan meals, however the hardest part for me to have them is that they're not available here so I have to cook them, and for someone who suffers from eczema, cooking is not an easy option at all

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ss06-candidates-eating-bernie-sanders.jpg

Here's the thing, most people who respond the way that you do are talking like it's 1986, there's no Internet, and there's not a wide variety of vegan products in the market. So your only excuse in 2016 is complete lack of intellectual curiosity, I guess, since there are vegan triathletes and body builders but you were just wasting away on boring plates of rice.

There are people who have enormous activity levels who eat well as vegans, and sedentary vegans don't have "prisoner" diets.

I'm starting to wonder about the basic education level of several people on Typology Central, who have apparently never taken even undergraduate classes on how to research any subject they have an interest in. Here's a hint: you don't just wing it when you change to an entirely different food culture than you were taught as a child. You also compare different reputable sources, instead of adopting only one biased source.

You could have been eating Thai or Indian food, veggie burgers and veggie dogs, bean burritos with guacamole chips and salsa, flavorful healthy breakfast cereals with plant based milks, a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, pasta, sandwiches, pizzas, plus your basic beans and quinoa or marinated tofu and salads.

There's vegan chocolate, chips, nutrition bars, nuts, seeds, and smoothies for snacks. ..coconut milk yogurts, trail mix, vegan jerky (yes vegan jerky).

For breakfast you could have had tofu scrambles with vegan sausages, pancakes, french toast, or loaded oatmeal.

I'm sorry your mother never taught you to make anything except cheese sandwiches and hot dogs, but don't take it out on vegans.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. Are you vegan?
No, however I'm against being cruel to animals and hate to see dead bodies in general, I also avoid watching deaths in TV and sometimes on movies because I don't want my eyes to be used to such pictures..
2. Why?
I'm not so crazy about meat, I rarely have beef but often white meat..
3. Name three of your favorite vegan eats.
Boiled corns, French fries, hummus
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan?
Not being able to have cheese, I'm a cheese lover, besides it's gonna be hard to get sufficient calcium from sources other than dairies..
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan?
I don't know, but there seem to be some delicious vegan meals, however the hardest part for me to have them is that they're not available here so I have to cook them, and for someone who suffers from eczema, cooking is not an easy option at all

This stuff isn't hard to look up I swear, but if you guys are pressed for time, I'll be happy to start a public blog devoted to vegan resources.

Calcium in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Mole

Permabanned
I am a naughty boy. I approached the Vegan stall in Orientation Week at the Australian National University, full of myself, with no consideration for the feelings of others, and said, "I have just come over here to talk to the vegetables", in other words, I had just called vegans, vegetables, to their face, and yes, they did take offence. Vegans do not like to be called, vegetables. Vegans are serious people and do not take to strangers calling them, vegetables, in the street. They do not even call themselves, vegetables, in private.

But I tell them, "What we eat today, walks and talks tomorrow".

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting thread. I am in favor of any food lifestyle change that promotes reading labels and understanding what is in your food. Provided you are responsible in giving yourself well-rounded nutrition. It takes discipline.

You don't have to be a vegan/vegetarian to do this and that is kind of sad because there are aspects of this that will benefit meat-eaters, too.

We do consume more meat than we should daily. 4 oz is a serving size, generally. More meat eaters need to utilize leafy greens and produce into their diet and sub out the processed foods.

Some of the best food I have had was raw vegan, actually. A cold lemongrass, avocado, pineapple curry soup. Amazing. There was a ubiquitous kale salad that changed how I thought of "salad".

Just too expensive for me to indulge in often! But I may try to find a recipe.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Are you vegan? I'm vegetarian for the most part with occasional lapses (e.g. I ate lamb at my Greek friend's Easter party but honestly it made me feel so guilty and gross that I don't know if the politeness/curiosity was worth it.)

2. Why? I was one of those freak kids who hated meat and loved vegetables so I guess I kinda grew up vegetarian with relatively little effort. Also, red meat makes me feel unwell ... I'm actually kinda allergic to beef. I always get itchy after eating it.

3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats. Ugh! So many. Right now, I miss food from home SO much ... Indian regional cuisines have so many amazing vegan/vegetarian dishes ... I was pretty much spoiled for choice growing up.

Bengali style jackfruit curry (I fucking love jackfruit, both unripe as a vegetable and ripe as a fruit. I DON'T CARE THAT THE FRUIT IS STINKY. YUM.)

hqdefault.jpg

Khichdi (rice and lentil dish) Ultimate comfort food for when you're sick, pretty much all over India. I like mine with fried cauliflower on the side. :drool:

masala-khichdi-3.jpg

Appam (amazing rice flour pancakes from Kerala) with a coconut milk and veggie stew

12376149483_33304aea4f_z.jpg

Ughhhh I could go on forever and ever. SOMEONE FEED ME.

4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan? I love my eggs and cheese. I'm approaching the point where I can conceive of life without either but I'm not quite there yet. At least not until I move out of fucking dormitory style accommodation and go back to having MY OWN KITCHEN.

5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan? I've never really been comfortable eating animal products. Growing up in India, I saw where meat comes from. If you buy chicken, it's slaughtered in front of your eyes. Butchers display their wares openly. It's not clean and clinical and sanitized like it is in supermarkets in the west. You see what's happening. That would still be fine-ish if the animals weren't treated like shit. And those are relatively small-scale operations ... I can only imagine how horrific industrial animal farming is, but out of sight, out of mind, I guess...

Kho

please let prayer be true
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] THOSE LOOK SO DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a naughty boy. I approached the Vegan stall in Orientation Week at the Australian National University, full of myself, with no consideration for the feelings of others, and said, "I have just come over here to talk to the vegetables", in other words, I had just called vegans, vegetables, to their face, and yes, they did take offence. Vegans do not like to be called, vegetables. Vegans are serious people and do not take to strangers calling them, vegetables, in the street. They do not even call themselves, vegetables, in private.

But I tell them, "What we eat today, walks and talks tomorrow".

Do you like being called a meathead? Or a pig? A chicken? A cow? In most English speaking cultures those are all equally as insulting as calling someone a vegetable or a cabbage.

You see the problem with the attitude people have towards vegans can be hostile to the point of hysterical. ..people come at vegans aggressively, or at minimum disrespectfully, then blame vegans for responding in kind - or even a notch kinder than the meat eater.

The way people act around vegans, would be considered childish, rude, and scandalous if the vegans were instead Kosher Jews or Halal Muslims. Not that veganism is actually a religion - there are people who are only vegan now for scientific reasons in regards to health, environment or both.

It causes a lot of vegans to believe this is the projected guilt, shame, and fear of the meat eaters. ..because it's really obnoxious and rude, people constantly troll vegan pages or communities with such intellectually pithy responses such as "bacon yummy"...in fact I would say the average bacon troll likely has an IQ of 85 unless they're 16....and yet the weird attitude remains even among adults who should know better.

I think a lot of vegans feel bullied, which is why some never speak up, like they are perpetually apologizing for being vegan, and then the other extreme reaction is to bully back...but correcting people or offering them the real information to alleviate their ignorance isn't aggressive, bullying or obnoxious, it's imperitive to correct a kind of appalling willful stupidity...for example, if you expect to find xyz anecdotally, you will...and a lot of Americans in particular do that.

Freelee and Durianrider are from your country. It makes your boasting about Oz look suspicious, because they're likely the most hated vegans on the Internet (for good reasons, there are other vegans who hate them too).

Mole

Permabanned
Do you like being called a meathead? Or a pig? A chicken? A cow? In most English speaking cultures those are all equally as insulting as calling someone a vegetable or a cabbage.

You see the problem with the attitude people have towards vegans can be hostile to the point of hysterical. ..people come at vegans aggressively, or at minimum disrespectfully, then blame vegans for responding in kind - or even a notch kinder than the meat eater.

The way people act around vegans, would be considered childish, rude, and scandalous if the vegans were instead Kosher Jews or Halal Muslims. Not that veganism is actually a religion - there are people who are only vegan now for scientific reasons in regards to health, environment or both.

It causes a lot of vegans to believe this is the projected guilt, shame, and fear of the meat eaters. ..because it's really obnoxious and rude, people constantly troll vegan pages or communities with such intellectually pithy responses such as "bacon yummy"...in fact I would say the average bacon troll likely has an IQ of 85 unless they're 16....and yet the weird attitude remains even among adults who should know better.

I think a lot of vegans feel bullied, which is why some never speak up, like they are perpetually apologizing for being vegan, and then the other extreme reaction is to bully back...but correcting people or offering them the real information to alleviate their ignorance isn't aggressive, bullying or obnoxious, it's imperitive to correct a kind of appalling willful stupidity...for example, if you expect to find xyz anecdotally, you will...and a lot of Americans in particular do that.

Freelee and Durianrider are from your country. It makes your boasting about Oz look suspicious, because they're likely the most hated vegans on the Internet (for good reasons, there are other vegans who hate them too).

The most striking thing about vegans is their complete lack of a sense of humour.

My young twin nephew and niece went to a lecture on veganism in Melbourne just the other day, and they couldn't stop themselves from giggling.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The most striking thing about vegans is their complete lack of a sense of humour.

My young twin nephew and niece went to a lecture on veganism in Melbourne just the other day, and they couldn't stop themselves from giggling.

Mole, whenever someone "insults" you on here, you launch into your tired old spiel about how insults are against typology central's rules and may result in a ban. I don't see much evidence of a sense of humor there. But of course, when you're mocking someone else and they react poorly, it's their fault for not being able to handle your delightful little jokes.

Mole

Permabanned
Mole, whenever someone "insults" you on here, you launch into your tired old spiel about how insults are against typology central's rules and may result in a ban. I don't see much evidence of a sense of humor there. But of course, when you're mocking someone else and they react poorly, it's their fault for not being able to handle your delightful little jokes.

C'mon, veganism is part of the New Age religion, along with astrology, mbti, crystals, Reiki, Tarot, Gaia, and a belief each person is God.

And now children are forbidden to giggle at it?

You can't be serious.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon, veganism is part of the New Age religion, along with astrology, mbti, crystals, Reiki, Tarot, Gaia, and a belief each person is God.

And now children are forbidden to giggle at it?

You can't be serious.

Who said anything about forbidding you to do as you please? Allow people the same freedom to react how they choose as you arrogate to yourself. I for one find your reactions to other people almost uniformly lacking in empathy and kindness but hey children can be cruel right? So carry on.

Mole

Permabanned
Who said anything about forbidding you to do as you please? Allow people the same freedom to react how they choose as you arrogate to yourself. I for one find your reactions to other people almost uniformly lacking in empathy and kindness but hey children can be cruel right? So carry on.

Authority was function of print. After all, every printed book had an author, an authority. So gosh, naturally the universe has an author with authority.

However the functions of the electronic media, emedia, are empathy and creativity. The proof of this is that everyone and their dog is empathic and creative. Even God is now empathic and creative and Hell has been abolished.

So quite naturally, without thinking, and taking it for granted, you accuse me with complete confidence of uniformly lacking in empathy and kindness.

Gosh, my stated aim is to create cognitive dissonance to encourage learning, while fully realising cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, but a necessary part of learning.

At a higher level, ecstasy is stepping outside the taken for granted, and we step outside the taken for granted into ecstasy usually accompanied by cognitive dissonance. The alternative is stagnation.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
complete lack of intellectual curiosity,

you were just wasting away

I'm starting to wonder about the basic education level of several people on Typology Central, who have apparently never taken even undergraduate classes on how to research any subject they have an interest in. Here's a hint: you don't just wing it when you change to an entirely different food culture than you were taught as a child. You also compare different reputable sources, instead of adopting only one biased source.

I'm sorry your mother never taught you to make anything except cheese sandwiches and hot dogs, but don't take it out on vegans.

I was specifically commenting on my experience with a vegan diet. Maybe you didn't understand that I literally got sick to the point of constant nausea and fatigue. I did this for almost 2 months under the guidance of a vegan friend of mine (who is healthy by all measures). I assure you that 'boring rice' isn't all I ate as she had a tasty assortment of suggestions for me to try.

The prisoner's comment was my opinion based on that experience which means I wasn't attempting to make a universal factual claim about veganism as a whole. I also did it for hyperbole. :shrug:

I quoted these particular 'points' in your post to illustrate a larger point Marm. You speak of intellectual curiosity yet how many actual curiosity-based questions do you ask people with opposing viewpoints? Point to me any batch of posts you've made where you have disagreed with someone and approached it from a curiosity standpoint?

Rather, like the above illustrates, you approach something you disagree with loads of assumptions and an unwillingness to consider much outside of your particular worldview. Moreover, you believe your worldview to be the only correct one and you admonish any different viewpoint with vitriol and disgust. It's literally like if one doesn't agree with my (Marm's) worldview then they have a 'complete lack of intellectual curiosity,' lack in 'basic education,' are outside of academia (well this is true for those of us who don't have a religious admiration for academia), have bad ethics/morals, and that they were not taught properly by their parents.

It's actually quite funny in a boring sort of way since your seething reactions are nothing new or even original from individuals produced in the mills of leftist academia. :sleeping:

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Authority was function of print. After all, every printed book had an author, an authority. So gosh, naturally the universe has an author with authority.

However the functions of the electronic media, emedia, are empathy and creativity. The proof of this is that everyone and their dog is empathic and creative. Even God is now empathic and creative and Hell has been abolished.

So quite naturally, without thinking, and taking it for granted, you accuse me with complete confidence of uniformly lacking in empathy and kindness.

Gosh, my stated aim is to create cognitive dissonance to encourage learning, while fully realising cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, but a necessary part of learning.

At a higher level, ecstasy is stepping outside the taken for granted, and we step outside the taken for granted into ecstasy usually accompanied by cognitive dissonance. The alternative is stagnation.

Have you considered that by my words, I might have been trying to provoke cognitive dissonance in you?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1.no
2.I tried being vegetarian for a few months (lived with my brother and sister in law who are) I didn't feel well despite eating what they ate and still getting the proper amount of protein, maybe it was psychological but i felt weak until i started adding chicken back into my diet they actually recommended i do that because i dunno why i just lose weight really easily and feel lethargic on a non-meat diet. So I think vegan is out of the question for me, Plus I don't want to.
3. Thai Curry, Falafel, Hummus
4. I'm not sure because i'm not but probably giving up meat.
5. Don't know

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am vegan in between meals, and the occasional trip to a restaurant thats vegan. Good food for the most part, but i eat meat to. So i am "bi" in a way...i can swing both ways, best of both worlds.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Are you vegan? Yes
2. Why? Why not?
3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats. Hummus, taboule, falafel
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan? I don't find it difficult.
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan? For me, better health