• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calcium deposits. Can you get rid of them?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I don't know if anyone has experienced this before. I have this bony bump on the inside of my left middle finger, where the finger connects to the hand. I'm told it's a buildup of calcium, and that they're not uncommon. I had one a long time ago, in the exact same place on my other hand. It didn't really bother me much, and it went away on its own (although it took a long time). But this one is driving me crazy. It hurts like a mother every time I put pressure on it, and I use my left hand for everything. I can't even get a decent grip on anything. It's becoming a real nuisance.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing? Is there anything I can do to get it to dissolve more quickly? Or do I just have to wait until it goes away on its own?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
No idea, but check out some of the user comments on Thorne Research's Vitamin K2 drops. This stuff allegedly helps the body absorb calcium and some people have reported that the tartar (Calcium) buildup on their teeth fall off when they take it.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think we have any MDs around here, so I guess gromit and kyuuei are the the most qualified to comment (that I can think of at least).

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No idea, but check out some of the user comments on Thorne Research's Vitamin K2 drops. This stuff allegedly helps the body absorb calcium and some people have reported that the tartar (Calcium) buildup on their teeth fall off when they take it.
Thanks. I've also heard that magnesium helps with calcium absorption. I'm not sure how, exactly.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The thing that concerns me with remedies is how can you be sure it'll break down calcium only where you have too much of it, but not everywhere else causing an overall deficiency? I mean if you swallow something that effects calcium, it's going to effect all your calcium, not just the trouble spot.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The only things I've heard regarding getting rid of them faster is CO2 laser therapy and surgical removal. If your doctor is sort of being a pain about it, I'd suggest calling a different doctor in your healthcare system and requesting it from them. Sometimes doctors are quick to pawn things off without being considerate of the fact that daily quality of life is affected.

In the meanwhile, treating inflammation caused by the irritation of the tissues around the bump is probably your best bet. Some anti-inflammatory meds, a mild steroid (like hydrocortisone creme) on the area itself, and/or drinking lots of green tea/eating anti-inflammatory foods if you're into the natural route.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How's your vitamin D intake? (or sunlight exposure)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How's your vitamin D intake? (or sunlight exposure)

There is some science to support calcium absorption with ADEK's being added to the diet. I personally take half-dose multi vitamins and vitamins D3/K2 each morning though I did it for tooth health moreso than anything listed here.

But pretty much all of those options, even the ones I listed, aren't going to really relieve the problem right now--which is that it hurts like hell to have tiny bumps on your hand. I get them sometimes but due to an interesting form of eczema and omg do they hurt. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it sure does suck.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what is the main source of your drinking water? what are the contents of said drinking water (I mean additives, not the H2O itself)?