• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What story are you telling yourself?

Universal mind

After conducting a yearlong research, into typing myself and creating a hypothesis about MBTI types….

I have come to the conclusion that if I could be typed into one category that would make the most sense, it would be ENFP with enneagram 3. As beautiful as this sound’s, it’s really nothing more than a perception of my reality. The truth is we all become a product of our environment. Over time we learn to evolve and blend into our perspective places. I have not found any consistency or evidence that can state the claim that MBTI has any relevance to grasping the human condition in its compartmentalization of personalities. Furthermore I cannot support the limited perception that I’m an ENFP, due to the lack of evidence and consistency. The only reason why so many of us create forums or want to elaborate in typing other people is through pure entertainment.

The truth is, all (if not most) psychological researchers fear being made fun of if they used MBTI to calculate a hypothesis or make a choice on a candidate for hire. The human behavior is far too complexed to be calculated into only 16 categories. The truth is, I use all these functions and I found that people can change and evolve to become the best versions of themselves.

On the last and most important question I will ever ask on this forum, is in the idea of perception; The question is, what story are you telling yourself? Because that story is what will be the program set on auto pilot, revealing a perception of who you are. So in essence, we can become any perception, which we feed to our subconscious minds. It takes a month to get use to a new routine or state of mind. If you’re unhappy with a perception of what you are, then take the steps now, to evolve into a better you. Program into yourself, the person you deserve to be.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I tell myself I gotta do the whole study then work thing, and find a partner, and I'm an INFJ metalhead who wants to learn more about magick, and my past is something that'll stick with me whether I like it or not.

I tell myself stuff about my personality, MBTI or no, like that I'm a quiet person who is pretty bad socially but also easy to get along with and kind and intelligent, and also somewhat crazy.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That isn't good to practice yoga with such a tie (too long) and such trousers (too tight) .:thumbdown:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I actually think that consistency of typing will vary on the type itself. For example, INFJs will often always type as INFJs for years or even forever. I think this is because we know who we are fundamentally... we just "know" ourselves, so it's easy to answer a bunch of questions authentically and consistently, regardless of the time frame. I'm not so sure that other types necessarily have the insight needed to be able to consistently answer questions about themselves over an extended period of time. I don't mean this offensively, but it takes a certain level of intuitive thinking to really analyze and "know" yourself. Or, to look at it another way, maybe other types are just more fluid and capable of change than intuitive thinkers.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I tell myself that I know I will make an imprint on the world. That I will have a long lasting effect on my surroundings. That freedom is a few steps away, I just have to take it. The story I choose to believe is that right now, I'm ready to succeed. I'm ready to fail. I'm ready to make mistakes and learn from them. Right now, I don't have control, but if I wait it out, I will. That everything will be right when I run out and grab victory. I know one day, I will be the posterchild for success. Kids, adults, everyone is going to see me and know that I'm top notch. That I worked it out. That I have such a grand understanding of everything that it all fell in place. They'll all want to join me. Everyone will join me in my freedom and it'll be good. Much better than the boring life I'm stuck in right now. It'll be nothing but goal setting and goal reaching, until I die or get bored of winning.

MBTI is the zodiac of psychology, imo. No one is 100% confident when they say it's bullshit, they'll look into it for fun, but they won't dig deep enough to realize it isn't as phony as it seems, and a shitload of people who don't understand it will drown out the people who do.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Could you provide us with your sources that you've collected with your year of research to support your statements?
2. I agree with you that my main reason for pursuing MBTI is entertainment, but you are making a generalization based off of your own experience. I think that such a huge claim would be better supported with a study or source of some sort. *nodnod*
3. Your finding about people becoming the best versions of themselves is super cool! I hope it's true! :)

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same stuff that this user posted here.

Either sockpuppet or bot.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
I tell myself that I know I will make an imprint on the world. That I will have a long lasting effect on my surroundings. That freedom is a few steps away, I just have to take it. The story I choose to believe is that right now, I'm ready to succeed. I'm ready to fail. I'm ready to make mistakes and learn from them. Right now, I don't have control, but if I wait it out, I will. That everything will be right when I run out and grab victory. I know one day, I will be the posterchild for success. Kids, adults, everyone is going to see me and know that I'm top notch. That I worked it out. That I have such a grand understanding of everything that it all fell in place. They'll all want to join me. Everyone will join me in my freedom and it'll be good. Much better than the boring life I'm stuck in right now. It'll be nothing but goal setting and goal reaching, until I die or get bored of winning.

Heh, sounds like my fantasies. As a "story I tell myself" it actually sounds kinda similar: I want to be the loser who smartened up and did awesome, impactful, meaningful stuff with her life.

Eventually.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess most of us tell ourselves the same story, that we're the losers who will smarten up and do something extraordinary with our lives...

The one I tell myself is this: I'm only a girl who wants to go back to a life of simplicity. I've had enough of needless gossip and drama, and just can't take it anymore in my life.

[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION] Tagging you here because this seems to be an interesting topic :)

solpi

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've convinced myself that I'm better than I am, because I strongly believe that I'm better than I think I am. It's my truth and it causes me to perform better.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tell myself that I am manipulative, cunning, strategic, opportunistic, and a utilitarian. If I am those things, that means I at least have competency as a redeeming quality. It's much easier to accept that I am a bad person than to accept that I am just socially inept.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'm an ugly lotus flower.

It's a cold, dark and filthy world. It hasn't been easy but I've risen above the swamp without a staiin. Unfortunatley I have my scars.
Lotus flowers with scars aren't beautiful and no one wants to look a flower that isn't beautiful.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
After conducting a yearlong research, into typing myself and creating a hypothesis about MBTI types….

I have come to the conclusion that if I could be typed into one category that would make the most sense, it would be ENFP with enneagram 3. As beautiful as this sound’s, it’s really nothing more than a perception of my reality. The truth is we all become a product of our environment. Over time we learn to evolve and blend into our perspective places. I have not found any consistency or evidence that can state the claim that MBTI has any relevance to grasping the human condition in its compartmentalization of personalities. Furthermore I cannot support the limited perception that I’m an ENFP, due to the lack of evidence and consistency. The only reason why so many of us create forums or want to elaborate in typing other people is through pure entertainment.

The truth is, all (if not most) psychological researchers fear being made fun of if they used MBTI to calculate a hypothesis or make a choice on a candidate for hire. The human behavior is far too complexed to be calculated into only 16 categories. The truth is, I use all these functions and I found that people can change and evolve to become the best versions of themselves.

On the last and most important question I will ever ask on this forum, is in the idea of perception; The question is, what story are you telling yourself? Because that story is what will be the program set on auto pilot, revealing a perception of who you are. So in essence, we can become any perception, which we feed to our subconscious minds. It takes a month to get use to a new routine or state of mind. If you’re unhappy with a perception of what you are, then take the steps now, to evolve into a better you. Program into yourself, the person you deserve to be.

People who fail to realize that MBTI is simplistic general model that should have limited use miss the whole point behind it. (the same can be said for the most of psychology)

Litsnob

I actually think that consistency of typing will vary on the type itself. For example, INFJs will often always type as INFJs for years or even forever. I think this is because we know who we are fundamentally... we just "know" ourselves, so it's easy to answer a bunch of questions authentically and consistently, regardless of the time frame. I'm not so sure that other types necessarily have the insight needed to be able to consistently answer questions about themselves over an extended period of time. I don't mean this offensively, but it takes a certain level of intuitive thinking to really analyze and "know" yourself. Or, to look at it another way, maybe other types are just more fluid and capable of change than intuitive thinkers.

Some of what you are saying here makes sense to me according to my own experience. I could not separate my true self from the self I believed I was supposed to be. Even now I have difficulty with that although having discovered that issue makes it a bit easier. Now I know to stop and check-okay is that what I really want or is that what I think I am supposed to want. the IN part of me seems really obvious so if I just look at all the random and not necessarily accurate descriptions that abound online and places like Pinterest, I can identify with INFJ, INTJ, INTP and in much smaller doses, INFP. I don't think descriptors like those are as accurate though as actually looking at the thinking style. Different thinking styles can get two people to roughly the same place so you can't determine the personality type based on where those two people are.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Some of what you are saying here makes sense to me according to my own experience. I could not separate my true self from the self I believed I was supposed to be. Even now I have difficulty with that although having discovered that issue makes it a bit easier. Now I know to stop and check-okay is that what I really want or is that what I think I am supposed to want. the IN part of me seems really obvious so if I just look at all the random and not necessarily accurate descriptions that abound online and places like Pinterest, I can identify with INFJ, INTJ, INTP and in much smaller doses, INFP. I don't think descriptors like those are as accurate though as actually looking at the thinking style. Different thinking styles can get two people to roughly the same place so you can't determine the personality type based on where those two people are.

Yes, I agree. For example, I am sure I come off as different types to different people who are assessing my behavior and word choice, but what they can't see is how I think. They can't see that I am never out of my head, or that when I am stressed I get caught up in Ni-Ti loops. They can't see that I often dissociate from my surroundings, and they can't see the unhealthy ways I have let Se take over me at times (drinking too much alcohol, which I completely cut out over a month ago to help with my depression). I think people think I am not INFJ because I am not a foofy-Fe user all the time. I certainly CAN be, especially with my lovers and my kids, or with people in pain.

Litsnob

Yes, I agree. For example, I am sure I come off as different types to different people who are assessing my behavior and word choice, but what they can't see is how I think. They can't see that I am never out of my head, or that when I am stressed I get caught up in Ni-Ti loops. They can't see that I often dissociate from my surroundings, and they can't see the unhealthy ways I have let Se take over me at times (drinking too much alcohol, which I completely cut out over a month ago to help with my depression). I think people think I am not INFJ because I am not a foofy-Fe user all the time. I certainly CAN be, especially with my lovers and my kids, or with people in pain.

LOL at foofy Fe-user. I might look a bit more INTJ online than I would in person because I tend not to pull my punches online and can get a bit more stereotypically obnoxious INTJ. I have nothing invested in my relationship with the people here but I will moderate myself with people in my real world. While I am not a Fe user, I am absolutely affectionate with those I am closest to. I can respond to Fe-type demonstrations of affection appropriately, I just don't initiate it. I used to think I used Fe because I seem to be good at understanding people but then I realised that I think through that. It's not some sort of magical absorption. LOL

The Terminator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'll be back. But the joke is that I will never come back. I'm a timelord!