• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neurosis

ygolo

My termites win
define:neurosis - Google Search

How do you get rid of it?

In particular:
  • anxieties
  • perfectionism
  • tendencies towards depression and negative affectivity
  • immoderation
  • obsession
  • low self-esteem/self-worth
  • unrealistically high demands on self
  • others you care to write about

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay...

Anxieties -- Build confidence in your abilities and an optimistic outlook.

Perfectionism -- Become more accepting of the flawed nature of human beings.

Depression -- Find something meaningful and enjoyable to look forward to.

Immoderation -- Learn temperance and think before you act.

Obsession -- Compare the value you place on something to the value other people place on it, and try to understand why yours is so much higher than a normal person's. Force yourself to acknowledge and react to the lack of justification.

Low self-esteem -- Try to discover your own self-worth and think of all the positive things you've done in your life that counted for something. Possibly try to do more such things.

Unrealistically high demands on self -- Look at your available resources including energy and time, and then look at what you expect of yourself. Force yourself to acknowledge the discrepancy between your resources and expectations, and reduce your expectations to fall within your means.

This is all easier said than done, however. ;) When I catch myself doing one of these things, I try to follow my own advice. The hard part is catching yourself.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I see athenian already did a great job of suggesting ways to deal with those things, but I'll throw in my 2 cents too since I had a couple posts relevant to this in the INFJ Moodiness thread.

anxieties- by confronting them bit by bit on a day by day basis.
perfectionism- by finding things you will fail at, and allowing yourself to fail at them.
tendencies towards depression and negative affectivity- change your frame of mind.
immoderation- by learning to set up a routine in your day to day life.
obsession- meditation
low self-esteem/self-worth- by doing things that build confidence and hanging only with people who will appreciate you for who you are.

I think you forgot paranoia. ;)

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks for the comments. I think I've gone through cycles of depression all my life. When I was younger I recovered faster, and didn't really consider it depression. But I recognized it as part of the same pattern of strange (and unstated) expectations and anxieties that somehow become violated (at which point I become aware of them) then let-go of (hopefully).

I am not good with emotions, so it happened pretty much subconsiously. Reading F-types (especially xNFJs) on this forum, has helped in this form of introspection.

I think you forgot paranoia. ;)

I think that may go under psychosis. But I am not sure. I suppose milder forms of paranoia may be just neurosis.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP

In particular:
  • anxieties
  • perfectionism
  • immoderation
  • obsession

Anxieties, unrealistic demands, perfectionism, obsession are born of immoderation, methinks...

Perhaps an inability to bring things into proper perspective - in a natural state, worries are healthy, as they provide a normalcy check.

But out of balance, they result in us making unrealistic demands on ourselves and others, trying to quell deep-seated fears, trying to be perfect as an escape away from being anxious. The link to self-esteem is here: Since it is impossible to be perfect, we start going on a negative cycle and depression. Which feeds anxiety all over again. Vicious cycle. But it is all linked so it becomes hard to break out of, as the brain forms a web of it.

Refocusing is in order. I consciously tell myself to breathe. To put a pause on the Ti looping. Focus on something neutral e.g. the image of a flower in my hand. Patterns on my desk.

It is a hard task to re-wire the mind - I'm still trying. Basically to bring things into proper perspective, not to magnify good or bad, but things in their proper context. It entails stepping back to what was familiar. Even if it means going back all the way.

Recognising what triggers the anxieties help too. So before fear sets in, I'd have prepared myself for it, so it doesn't seem as big. Or if it is the unnamed anxiety of Fe, I'd have called some friends, or distracted myself by taking a walk.

All those are short-term.

Long-term, it is to rebuild a sense of self. That's why my thread question on Fi/Si.. which no one answered. :(

Hope that helps..

typo

MBTI Type
INTJ

In particular:
  • anxieties
  • perfectionism
  • immoderation
  • obsession

I think humor is the answer to all of these. If you can let some more humor into your life, especially directed at yourself, you might be able to face some of the fears that lie behind the anxiety. Admittedly, the right humor is not always easy to find when you are feeling one of the above. In that case, try dancing around in your underwear, while occasionally doing impersonations (preferably indoors) until you feel some relief from your crazy self.

Last edited:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
curious, typo, as an INTJ, do you dance around in your underwear? I somehow have a hard time trying to envision INTJs and INTPs doing that without feeling pretty silly :doh:

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
curious, typo, as an INTJ, do you dance around in your underwear? I somehow have a hard time trying to envision INTJs and INTPs doing that without feeling pretty silly :doh:

I think the point is to feel silly and be comfortable with the silliness.

Last edited:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the point is to feel silly and be comfortable with the silliness.

:D I've not reached that stage. Yes. Even as an ENTP, I'd feel darn weird doing that. So I was curious if he'd actually do that himself.

typo

MBTI Type
INTJ
as an INTJ, do you dance around in your underwear? I somehow have a hard time trying to envision INTJs and INTPs doing that without feeling pretty silly

Not everyday, but I think it is typical of everyone at times. (No?)

When I am stressed or ruminating about something, I tend to rock back and forth without realizing it. I don't know that this has any connection to personality type. I think underwear dancing is best reserved for special occasions.

Last edited: