• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looking For Books for Self Help and Self Improvement

Grusdytre

MBTI Type
none
Enneagram
non
Can you please recommend books for self help and self improvement? I just needed it for my research. Thanks!

chuwariwap

Here are just some books that I've read:
]The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy
How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

Grusdytre

MBTI Type
none
Enneagram
non
I've already read 3 books from your list: The 7 Habits, The Alchemist, and Rich Dad. will check out the rest. Thanks!

Mole

Permabanned
If we are schizophrenic, the "The Divided Self" by R D Laing, and if we face an existential crisis, then "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes.

They say we can read ourselves out of the Catholic Church, so I presume we can read ourselves out of any religion, so we might try "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, for muslims.

But how can we read ourselves out of mbti? Mbti is a cultural artefact of the USA. From the beginning it was a business protected by copywrite. Mbti builds narcissism and takes advantage of it. Mbti is part of the environment of the USA and all we can do in the USA is respond to our narcissistic environment. In the US narcissism is good, and psychological health is suspect.

So how can we step outside the narcissistic environment of the USA? Well, we are creating a new environment of CANZUK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Britain, a psychologically healthy environment to which to respond.

Lark

If we are schizophrenic, the "The Divided Self" by R D Laing, and if we face an existential crisis, then "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes.

They say we can read ourselves out of the Catholic Church, so I presume we can read ourselves out of any religion, so we might try "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, for muslims.

But how can we read ourselves out of mbti? Mbti is a cultural artefact of the USA. From the beginning it was a business protected by copywrite. Mbti builds narcissism and takes advantage of it. Mbti is part of the environment of the USA and all we can do in the USA is respond to our narcissistic environment. In the US narcissism is good, and psychological health is suspect.

So how can we step outside the narcissistic environment of the USA? Well, we are creating a new environment of CANZUK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Britain, a psychologically healthy environment to which to respond.

Why do you use the prefix "we" Mole? Also who says the things you mention in your posts?

Mole

Permabanned
Why do you use the prefix "we" Mole? Also who says the things you mention in your posts?

The literate individual use 'I' , while the etribe use 'we'.

C'mon, the book is dead, the author of the book is dead, the God of the book is dead, as is the Author of the Universe. Yet we live in our etribe of typology central.

Well, Lark, I quote the authors of the books, so that's who says the things I mention in my post.

Lark

The literate individual use 'I' , while the etribe use 'we'.

C'mon, the book is dead, the author of the book is dead, the God of the book is dead, as is the Author of the Universe. Yet we live in our etribe of typology central.

Well, Lark, I quote the authors of the books, so that's who says the things I mention in my post.

I've read both of those books and I did not read either of them saying it was possible to "read ourselves out of the Catholic Church". Is there a chance that you just found in those books what you wanted to? It sounds it from what you've posted here.

You say that and all about the etribe but I dont see it Mole, I dont see a single other poster using the strange vernacular or turn of phrase that you are using. So its probably not as you say it is at all. I'm not criticizing you and I hope you are not offended. Its just something you could think about, if you like. Or not. Your call.

Mole

Permabanned
I've read both of those books and I did not read either of them saying it was possible to "read ourselves out of the Catholic Church". Is there a chance that you just found in those books what you wanted to? It sounds it from what you've posted here.

You say that and all about the etribe but I dont see it Mole, I dont see a single other poster using the strange vernacular or turn of phrase that you are using. So its probably not as you say it is at all. I'm not criticizing you and I hope you are not offended. Its just something you could think about, if you like. Or not. Your call.

I try not to be offended, Lark, and I accept your call.

Other posters don't see what I see because they are driving forward looking at the rear vision mirror as an individual 'I', while the etribe is rushing through the windscreen with 'we'.

It will take a crash to turn their eyes from the rear vision mirror to the windscreen.

And we will be be waiting at the bottom of the cliff with an ambulance.

Lark

I try not to be offended, Lark, and I accept your call.

Other posters don't see what I see because they are driving forward looking at the rear vision mirror as an individual 'I', while the etribe is rushing through the windscreen with 'we'.

It will take a crash to turn their eyes from the rear vision mirror to the windscreen.

And we will be be waiting at the bottom of the cliff with an ambulance.

OK, good luck with that.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you please recommend books for self help and self improvement? I just needed it for my research. Thanks!

I have quite a few in my Kindle and Audible libraries. :) (Hope these help! They veer more towards spirituality than science though, fair warning if you’re not into that...)

“The Power of Intention” by Wayne Dyer
“The Code of the Extraordinary Mind” by Vishen Lakhiani
“Dying to be Me” by Anita Moorjani
“Metahuman” and “Fire in the Heart” by Deepak Chopra
“Conversations with God” (Books 1-4) by Neale Donald Walsch

Lark

It may appeal more to the "self is a fiction" people but I would like to recommend Attachment and Psychotherapy, its cheaper on audiobook CD than it is in physical copy and I've been listening to it in the car, really good material, recommend it.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
religious texts have historically been of help to many... (i am not going to get into what religion if any might appeal to you)... psychology books can be helpful... i believe poetry is excellent for self reflection and growth, perhaps try your hand at writing? ethics and philosophy books are where i tend to direct my outward attention when am focused on fixing myself... i also find older books about real people in more difficult circumstances is sometimes useful for elevating my mood or focusing thoughts on deficiencies in myself (though not the ones written like a parable)...most self help books trigger revulsion in me... anyhow, this is not exactly a list of books i suppouse...