• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Are enneagram profiles generally gender biased ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Does any one else has the same impression ?

Truth to be told I see them in a way that they are biased towards the gender that "should" make the majority of that type. However expecting exactly the same bahavior over time from male or female 8 is perhaps a leap of fate. On the other hand male 4 can still be pretty "physical" if you judge by standards of profiles. Female and male 1s are likely to channel their energy differently ... etc.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't noticed that they are biased? If you notice bias, I am wondering if it may be more that it indicates a bias you may have, ie if you think e5 reads as 'male', then perhaps that indicates you have a more difficult time seeing a woman embodying those characteristics? Just a thought.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I haven't noticed that they are biased? If you notice bias, I am wondering if it may be more that it indicates a bias you may have, ie if you think e5 reads as 'male', then perhaps that indicates you have a more difficult time seeing a woman embodying those characteristics? Just a thought.

I am not saying completely biased but in general I get the impression that profiles generally describe male population somewhat better (except maybe 2s and 4s), if anything this is more of a cultural thing/topic that anything else. In other words I sense that in reality there are slight differences between male and female "version" of each type. I am not even sure that I can exactly pinpoint which but for some reason I have this impression ... and so I ask others openly about it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not saying completely biased but in general I get the impression that profiles generally describe male population somewhat better (except maybe 2s and 4s), if anything this is more of a cultural thing/topic that anything else. In other words I sense that in reality there are slight differences between male and female "version" of each type. I am not even sure that I can exactly pinpoint which but for some reason I have this impression ... and so I ask others openly about it.

Sure, that makes sense. And culture by culture, there probably are slight variations in how each gender 'presents' itself, for any given type. But since enneagram is more about fears and internal drivers, vs behavioral, I'm not sure it is as applicable with enneagram. Perhaps it's more applicable with the instincts, or more evident in the more 'extroverted' enneagram types, ie the 2's, 3's, 8's, 7's.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Sure, that makes sense. And culture by culture, there probably are slight variations in how each gender 'presents' itself, for any given type. But since enneagram is more about fears and internal drivers, vs behavioral, I'm not sure it is as applicable with enneagram. Perhaps it's more applicable with the instincts, or more evident in the more 'extroverted' enneagram types, ie the 2's, 3's, 8's, 7's.

Well I live far away from USA and typology is cleary Americanized. I even dare to say that to to bad life exeriences and Americanized profiles I was mistyped. Therefore I am simply curious if others have harder time pushing women into ennegram boxes. If yes then problem is in typology and if not then it is just cultural difference, since female rights lag somewhat behind the most deveolped countries. Nothing radical but here genders aren't fully equal.

(It is boring rainy Sunday after busy week, so my mind simply wonders. This isn't "be or not to be" question for me)

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Well I live far away from USA and typology is cleary Americanized. I even dare to say that to to bad life exeriences and Americanized profiles I was mistyped. Therefore I am simply curious if others have harder time pushing women into ennegram boxes. If yes then problem is in typology and if not then it is just cultural difference, since female rights lag somewhat behind the most deveolped countries. Nothing radical but here genders aren't fully equal.

(It is boring rainy Sunday after busy week, so my mind simply wonders. This isn't "be or not to be" question for me)

Definitely true in media. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what you mean. People are what they are.

Are you asking if other people tend to judge another person's type based on thier gender?

In my personal experience, yeah, but probably not in the way you think.

On another forum I was on most 8/ENTJ were actually women ( I don't think that is proper representation of the world populace) but men still talked about how rare and different we are. They could have just spoken to five ENTJ/8 women in a row and, much like goldfish, forget after single one, and act suprised to meet the following.

It's strange to me. I don't really understand gender stereotypes. I don't consider myself a tomboy, or masculine. I know some women consider it a compliment but I just find it confusing. I am who I am, I enjoy what I enjoy.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's not a problem of typology it's a problem with your culture.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Does any one else has the same impression ?

Truth to be told I see them in a way that they are biased towards the gender that "should" make the majority of that type. However expecting exactly the same bahavior over time from male or female 8 is perhaps a leap of fate. On the other hand male 4 can still be pretty "physical" if you judge by standards of profiles. Female and male 1s are likely to channel their energy differently ... etc.

Nah. I think certain strengths and weaknesses already have a masculine or feminine specific to them but that doesn't come from the enneagram. It comes from culture, society, gender expectations and so on. I have a bit of a bias against e2's I admit that but it makes no difference to me if it's a male or female. I don't see them as different.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah. I think certain strengths and weaknesses already have a masculine or feminine specific to them but that doesn't come from the enneagram. It comes from culture, society, gender expectations and so on. I have a bit of a bias against e2's I admit that but it makes no difference to me if it's a male or female. I don't see them as different.
I agree with the highlighted, but it doesn't correlate reliably or consistently with the gender of actual people. IOW, traits typically viewed as masculine are often exhibited by women, and vice versa. Best here to think of masculine and feminine simply as labels for a rather abstract and archetypal dichotomy.