• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Influence of Wing Versus Tritype

Silveresque

I've been wondering exactly how much influence the wing of your main type has compared with the types in your tritype. For instance, if someone had 1w2 as their main type and 3w4 in their tritype, would the 2 wing be more likely to have a stronger influence or the would the 3 tritype have a stronger influence? Would it depend entirely on the individual?

Another thing, let's say this person has 1w2 as their main type and 2w1 in their tritype. Now let's say this person also relates somewhat to type 9, but chose 1w2 as their main type because this person relates more to type 2. Could it be that the relation to type 2 is based not on having 2 as a wing but on having 2 in their tritype, in which case it would be possible to have 1w9 as their main type despite relating more to 1w2?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nobody have tritype.

Silveresque

Nobody have tritype.

Nobody has any type. All they are are arbitrary man-made classifications. You could arbitrarily create any set of classifications, and as long as they help to explain and describe certain traits and tendencies in behavior, then it does what it's supposed to do. The tritype is just that, another set of classifications. I prefer to use tritypes because they can explain behavior more specifically than one type alone. If you would rather not use tritypes, that's fine, that's your choice.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been wondering exactly how much influence the wing of your main type has compared with the types in your tritype. For instance, if someone had 1w2 as their main type and 3w4 in their tritype, would the 2 wing be more likely to have a stronger influence or the would the 3 tritype have a stronger influence? Would it depend entirely on the individual?

That's certainly a good question. I suppose that the first type is utlimately stronger as a whole with the wing included, i.e. 1w2 with the w2 influence will have a greater effect than the 3w4, although I'm not sure if there's any evidence to back this assertion up. In that regard, I suppose it's only a possibility and that it really does depend on the individual in question.

Another thing, let's say this person has 1w2 as their main type and 2w1 in their tritype. Now let's say this person also relates somewhat to type 9, but chose 1w2 as their main type because this person relates more to type 2. Could it be that the relation to type 2 is based not on having 2 as a wing but on having 2 in their tritype, in which case it would be possible to have 1w9 as their main type despite relating more to 1w2?

It's certainly possible, and if anything is probably one of the main problems with the theory of the tri-type. Although, I also feel that types come into level of degress; thus it is possible that such an individual who is 1w2 > 2w1 may be 1w9 to a certain extent i.e. 1w2~1w9, and thus could theoretically be either.

B

brainheart

I kind of think the tritype business is bogus. For example, if you take my 4w3 typing, there are aspects of the five there cause every type possesses to some degree attributes of the neighboring type, so for me, 4-3-5

Next, you have the levels of integration and disintegration for the primary type. Again, me, 1-2
Integration and disintegration of wing, 6-9

Integration and disintegration of other neighboring type, 8,7

Seems like everything is pretty much covered.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The purpose of the enneagram isn't to box in but to liberate yourself from the fixed perceptions of your type. Tritype is only limiting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My actual issue with the tritype is that there is no real testing for it, you pretty much just choose it. (Versus the Wing, which is pretty defined by the test and what your "main type" is.)

So you're basically saying, "Does the wing you were given by a test have more influence than the type you've chosen for yourself?" I don't really see wings and tritypes as equal concepts, to be comparable.

I don't really have a good way of answering your second question because of that, although I've figured out what you are asking. Again, it's more like saying, "Does the test for wings take preference over how I've chosen to label myself?" Tritypes actually can incorporate wings in them, rather than being on an equal plane with wings, and they're a variation on Enneagram rather than straight enneagram since you're adding an assumption that people have one significant focus within each of the triad elements (head, heart, gut)... an assumption that might or might not be true.

To review my individual personality as an example:

My testing for Enneagram + Wing typically gives me a strong 5w4 read (both are almost equal but 5 always wins), with 9 a few points behind the 4. The 5w4 description is really good for me.... but it doesn't describe some significant but lesser parts of me.

Reading the composite tritype descriptions, though, I usually get a number code of either 5-9-4 or 5-2-9. I don't identify as a 2 in my top three types, but in the 5-2-9 mix, the final outcome captures the more practical aspects of my desire to connect with and help others, vs the more ethereal self-absorbed 4... even if I typically get a higher 4 score on conventional tests.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My actual issue with the tritype is that there is no real testing for it, you pretty much just choose it. (Versus the Wing, which is pretty defined by the test and what your "main type" is.)

Personally I would have an issue with people using any test to tell them what their type is, self discovery and education should always be used, considering how easy it is to influence tests either consciously or subconsciously.

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
Wings, for the reasons listed above.

But I also think that too much focus is applied to wings as well. It's important to note that everyone has a bit of both wings in there, and it's a ratio/percentage. So I may be 7w8, but I definitely relate to some 6s as well. There isn't any large difference between a 7w8 and a 7w6 because at their core they are still 7.

(This might not have made much sense; I'm drugged right now so I apologize :huh:)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The purpose of the enneagram isn't to box in but to liberate yourself from the fixed perceptions of your type. Tritype is only limiting.

Definitely this.

In terms of wings or tritype. Wings are more important.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Exactly! :yes: That's whay I actually tried many times to explain.