• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roseanne Cancelled because of tweet

ducks

Permabanned
Hah. I thought that show got canceled a decade ago. Shows what I know with my internet and no cable. :smile:

jamain

MBTI Type
IST_
Never cared for the original show and didn't watch the reboot. I've never been a Roseanne Barr fan. It has been weird to watch some social conservatives get bent out of shape about the shows cancellation. As far as I know she has never been a social conservative nor has she pretended to be one. She does however seem to support Trump, so I guess that's all it takes for some.

Didn't read the entire thread so this may have already been posted, but there are talks of moving forward with a reboot of the show minus Roseanne.

ABC Could Announce 'Roseanne' Reboot Any Day Now | TMZ.com

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Turns out they realized they only really wanted to remove Barr.

ABC picks up 'The Conners,' a 'Roseanne' spinoff without Roseanne Barr

Never cared for the original show and didn't watch the reboot. I've never been a Roseanne Barr fan. It has been weird to watch some social conservatives get bent out of shape about the shows cancellation. As far as I know she has never been a social conservative nor has she pretended to be one. She does however seem to support Trump, so I guess that's all it takes for some.

During the original run, a lot of social conservatives actually watched the show. (I was kind of surprised at the amount of folks from church who watched it, it seemed to fly against some of their political stances.) IRL she seemed to be fairly liberal socially for years, but in the last six years she's become pretty aggressive/militant online against social liberal causes (racist, anti-trans, etc.) so a lot of progressives were seemingly surprised when the show was rebooted... then suddenly just booted when Roseanne did the same thing she's been doing online for some years now. Like, they should have known?

But yeah I really don't get how she can view herself one way in person but act different with a Twitter feed in her hand. It's like there's no self-awareness. A lot of her reactions after losing the show came across as (1) her being shocked, as if it had never crossed her mind she could lose her show over this and (2) lots of apologies mixed with more aggression that undermined the apologies, like she was a drowning woman flailing around. Still, she agreed to remove herself from the show so the rest of the cast could continue, so...?

Oh well, lessons learned and all that I guess...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is There Any Way for the Roseanne Spinoff to Succeed?

...a show about Darlene and Becky has the unusual opportunity to treat that story as a continuation rather than a starting point. After all, it’s an immensely sad story for Darlene: She spent nine seasons on Roseanne dreaming of leaving Lanford, but now she’s back in her father’s home. It’s maybe even more sad for Becky, who has never even conceived of a way out. The Conners could finally treat those stories as a narrative anchor, rather than marginalizing them as a satellite story line to Roseanne and Dan’s marriage. It could be about the tension between two sisters who never really got each other, but who are now stuck with many of the same predicaments, and who are stuck with each other.

...the humor would be pegged to Darlene’s sensibility rather than to Roseanne’s. Less “mother knows best, let me swipe you upside the head and lecture you about kids having it too easy these days.” More “life is bleak and existence is short, but everything is absurd and we may as well laugh.”

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just noticed it's listed on hulu in the "coming soon" section.

Something like this has happened before. There was a sit-com called "Valerie" starring Valerie Harper as the mom of a family. They dropped her in either the first or second season - she didn't publicly behave innapropriately, but she fell out with the producers or something. Anyway, as "The Hogan Family" the show carried on for several years. IIRC. Harper was basically replaced with Sandy Duncan (brought in as an aunt, or something). Teenage Jason Bateman was one of the kids.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't think Valerie Jarrett was black. She looks like a really tan middle aged white New Jersey woman. I used to spend summer at my aunt's home near the Jersey shore, she and her bridge buddies were literally darker than this Jarrett woman. I could buy it that Roseanne was actually that ignorant and unaware of the lady's race. :shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have a difficult time believing a show about the daughters will succeed. Maybe...a very BIG maybe, the show will succeed on playing on the contrast between the two, but part of the appeal of the original Roseanne was how the mom character was sort of the linchpin of everything. No offense to either actress, but I'm not sure I can see them carrying a sitcom as the primary stars. My guess is this thing limps along for a season or two before getting axed. Initial ratings will be high, driven more by curiosity than anything else, then will drop off drastically. The best thing to do was let this die a quiet death.

Similarly, I found the Full House revival kind of weak. I'm sorry, but Stephanie and DJ just don't have the charisma or comedic skill to carry an entire series as the main characters.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I just noticed it's listed on hulu in the "coming soon" section.

Something like this has happened before. There was a sit-com called "Valerie" starring Valerie Harper as the mom of a family. They dropped her in either the first or second season - she didn't publicly behave innapropriately, but she fell out with the producers or something. Anyway, as "The Hogan Family" the show carried on for several years. IIRC. Harper was basically replaced with Sandy Duncan (brought in as an aunt, or something). Teenage Jason Bateman was one of the kids.

Yep, I remember Valerie, I think it was a salary dispute or contract thing. She was great on MTM and Rhoda, she could easily carry a comedy. But I don't recall her tweeting conspiracy theories and crazy for years then trying to revive an old series simply because it's fashionable. That was stupid for ABC, the post Rosanne idea is also stupid.

However, John Goodman is doing a new series with Danny McBride so I will be all over that, especially if Walter Goggins shows up as well.