• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, maybe Maeve was fine too, although there were times... As a generality, I wasn't a fan of Thani Newton in the past but she's done an impressive job as Maeve.

She's great in the role, I just wish the role hadn't been so one-note this season.

rav3n

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished the season finale. I am pleasantly satisfied with how they wrapped things up, and am still invested in the show. I still think overall season 3 was too rushed, and my least favorite of the three, but other than the episodes and thoughts I already mentioned, I enjoyed it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm only just starting the third season. I'm on the second episode. And I have to get this out of my system: Simon is back!!!!

I'm happy about Tommy Flannagan joining the cast. I'm not fond of Aaron Paul (except as Todd), but so far (first episode) I think he's working out okay.

(Yay about Simon!! I'm going to be slightly disappointed if he's a host now they're off on a narrative, but it'd be better than him not being back at all).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm only just starting the third season. I'm on the second episode. And I have to get this out of my system: Simon is back!!!!

I'm happy about Tommy Flannagan joining the cast. I'm not fond of Aaron Paul (except as Todd), but so far (first episode) I think he's working out okay.

(Yay about Simon!! I'm going to be slightly disappointed if he's a host now they're off on a narrative, but it'd be better than him not being back at all).

Yeah, I was happy about Flanagan too.

Paul will always be Jesse from Breaking Bad, to me. But I've seen him in a few other things now, which is helping. I think he does okay and gets more screentime later in the season.

I think my favorite episode of the season is the third one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does this show suck so much? Five episodes into Season 4 and I am exactly in the same point where I am with The Walking Suck [uh, I mean Dead] -- just watching each episode once, sometimes while doing other things, just to mentally get a rough track of the season gist.

• Season 1: Sublime. Still one of the best, most beautifully constructed TV shows and seasons I have ever seen. Easily in my forever Top Ten.
  • Season 2: More convoluted, but at least it tied together to Season 1 in terms of continuation of story arcs + had really meaningful moments and setup for leaving the park. Really beautiful cap on the Native Americans and Maeve's search for her daughter.
  • Season 3: Felt like it was completely by another creative team more interested in plot than character. Also felt like some exec wanted a "fight between top two Hosts, Dolores and Maeve" and thus Maeve became an action hero. Also became a show more about really broad big ideas but not necessarily about implementation strong enough to make one care.
  • Season 4: Double down on Season 3. Beautiful production value, but very little sense of the actual story arcs involved, and people are just doing shit to generate plot. I don't know who anyone is, I don't care who anyone is. Maeve really is just another action hero so far, and there's no real connection between the characters and who they used to be. We used to be tracking William through his slow disintegration, now there are multiple Williams and I don't care about any of them. Such a meme-ready show (not in the good sense) -- last episode my kid walked in halfway through and was like "OOOH THEY SAID THE LINE" [quoting something from first season] but mainly just like being a namedropper, which is a huge red flag as if that justifies this season's existence. No real development of ideas in ways that can be followed emotionally and rationally, just relying on goodwill from better seasons. Like WTF happened to this show? I noticed episode 5 ended better than some prior episodes this season, but... is that too little too late?
There are some big ideas. I like they are trying to again compare between humans and hosts and flipping the tables to put each in the other's role, for example. But that is a Big Concept that is just not at all satisfyingly executed, especially because none of the characters are generating emotional interest.

Like, I am never going to rewatch these seasons. I will rewatch Season 1, and I will occasionally rewatch Season 2, but the rest is just forgettable. It might be worse than the decline in Game of Thrones, because at least we got 4+ decent seasons out of GoT.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why does this show suck so much? Five episodes into Season 4 and I am exactly in the same point where I am with The Walking Suck [uh, I mean Dead] -- just watching each episode once, sometimes while doing other things, just to mentally get a rough track of the season gist.

• Season 1: Sublime. Still one of the best, most beautifully constructed TV shows and seasons I have ever seen. Easily in my forever Top Ten.
  • Season 2: More convoluted, but at least it tied together to Season 1 in terms of continuation of story arcs + had really meaningful moments and setup for leaving the park. Really beautiful cap on the Native Americans and Maeve's search for her daughter.
  • Season 3: Felt like it was completely by another creative team more interested in plot than character. Also felt like some exec wanted a "fight between top two Hosts, Dolores and Maeve" and thus Maeve became an action hero. Also became a show more about really broad big ideas but not necessarily about implementation strong enough to make one care.
  • Season 4: Double down on Season 3. Beautiful production value, but very little sense of the actual story arcs involved, and people are just doing shit to generate plot. I don't know who anyone is, I don't care who anyone is. Maeve really is just another action hero so far, and there's no real connection between the characters and who they used to be. We used to be tracking William through his slow disintegration, now there are multiple Williams and I don't care about any of them. Such a meme-ready show (not in the good sense) -- last episode my kid walked in halfway through and was like "OOOH THEY SAID THE LINE" [quoting something from first season] but mainly just like being a namedropper, which is a huge red flag as if that justifies this season's existence. No real development of ideas in ways that can be followed emotionally and rationally, just relying on goodwill from better seasons. Like WTF happened to this show? I noticed episode 5 ended better than some prior episodes this season, but... is that too little too late?
There are some big ideas. I like they are trying to again compare between humans and hosts and flipping the tables to put each in the other's role, for example. But that is a Big Concept that is just not at all satisfyingly executed, especially because none of the characters are generating emotional interest.

Like, I am never going to rewatch these seasons. I will rewatch Season 1, and I will occasionally rewatch Season 2, but the rest is just forgettable. It might be worse than the decline in Game of Thrones, because at least we got 4+ decent seasons out of GoT.
I think season 3 let me down enough that I haven't really been interested in visiting season 4. You're right, the fight between Dolores and Maeve made no sense.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I should say that, much like Game of Thrones, this is not really the fault of the cast. Their performances are generally stellar.

This is primarily a story / writing problem. You can't really put lipstick on a pig here.

I still am kind of blaming Lisa Joy, although I could be wrong. But I did watch Reminiscence last year (her directorial debut) and it felt very similar: Great production values, great cast, so-so writing. It was supposed to be moving but was very inert. I was rooting for Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson and the story was just so flat and forgettable.

I don't really know how much Jonathan Nolan has been actively involved (although they are a pair) in the last two seasons aside from ideas, because pretty much everything I have ever seen from him in the past that he has written has been super-tight. He even has the honor of writing/adapting my favorite film ever ("The Prestige"). Is he involved at all in the actual implementation any more, or does he just give notes and high-level concepts for this?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode was better in the sense of moments within the episode itself, although the season still has trouble with its overarcing plots.

It still has multiple dumb moments too. For example, someone who is a "survivor" and is used to avoiding death [who thus should know better], but who moves into melee range to point a gun at someone -- why would anyone ever do this?! The whole point of guns is to threaten someone at distance, to avoid being within melee range of someone with more physical strength than yourself. Or early on, everyone freezes to avoid being discovered by the host sentries -- and then they end up just fleeing and there seems to be no actual chase or danger in fleeing because they get away easily; so why the hell did they choose to freeze to start with, and why not just flee from the beginning if it was easy to flee and dangerous to remain in proximity? Just dumb dumb things like this seem to happen with regularity -- unrealistic / bad mini-plotting. I really get annoyed with shows where characters do dumb things to force a particular plot direction. Let's have smarter characters. This show used to.

I'm still not sure the Caleb plotline was the best direction to go in with that character. However, it did allow for a number of resonating images / moments. I'm still a little lost as to whether this is trying to signify a difference between hosts and humans that is anchored in their thinking and not in the physicality -- or are they trying to make the other point where hosts are offing themselves not because they were infected but because they don't want to bear up under the shit circumstances they have found themselves in? (Hosts are also wrestling with ennui, Hale included.) Again, the show used to provide more precision with exploring these topics, now it just throws them into a big hopper to be churned around -- so while there are good ideas in there, it's not exactly clear what is being said or what is driving the point.

The editing just doesn't seem to have the clarity of earlier seasons either. You can piece it together after a few minutes of watching based on character reactions, but at first it's confusing. I think there's a fine line between misdirection and confusion and the show sometimes seems to fall off the beam it is trying to walk nowadays.

Anyway, along with the many faces of Caleb, I am fairly certain a particular resonance was purposeful:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well, thank god that season is over. I was hoping that was the entire series finale too, just let the pain end!

RT actually has this at 80%. I don't know what I am missing. (Technically, for later seasons, an 80% isn't the greatest, usually only the people who care are rating it and the score is significantly higher.)

There was an emotional moment last night or two, but only brief and really it seems like a disconnected random series of plots and arcs (like a plate of spaghetti dropped on the floor) that you just kind of wait to see what the very end is to make sense of any of it. Being inscrutable is not necessarily a positive thing, in terms of caring about the show. there's very little I feel like that mattered again in this season, a bunch of characters just doing things and/or getting randomly offed, and all of them feeling far "less than" than their original incarnations in Seasons 1&2.

But okay, me being kind and trying to try to get what the writers WERE after despite all the shitty actual plotting and writing:

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, started season 1, not feeling it. I mean it's well made, just not doing anything for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Disappointing but more in regards to how they fubar'ed their own series for Seasons 3 and 4 leading to the cancellation. They probably only have themselves to blame. The first season was sublime, the second season was decent (though flawed), and the third season was either going to restore the series or bottom it out (and it ended up being more of the latter). Season 4 also felt confusing and aimless, although there were occasionally good sequences (like when Caleb tries to escape his captivity). They tended to reuse the same bag of tricks that was novel in Season 1. But everything felt pretty confusing and aimless, with no real big picture being generated.

I really hated the way they manufactured a pointless conflict between Dolores and Maeve in Season 3, and then essentially just turned Maeve into a ninja action hero starting in Season 3. The strong and nuanced character building just did not seem to be there anymore, it was all mainly a plot show and a rather confusing one at that.

The actors aren't to blame, they were all pretty talented. This has been happening a lot with various properties (especially within Disney as well), they have great production values and a talented cast, but the narrative and writing just isn't up to snuff.

I'm still feeling like Lisa Joy had more of a hand in these seasons, based on what I know of J Nolan's work versus hers, but she's just not as talented. Whatever writers they brought on just weren't as good either.