• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stranger Things

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finally decided to just plow through the second half of the season and get this done, to give it a chance.

I felt like the writing improved in the second half so far (i just finished episode 6). In fact, I felt like Jessie Nickson-Lopez (who wrote episode 6) had a much natural feel to the writing than most of the early episodes -- the dialogue was uniquely interesting versus just vague filler like some of the earlier scripts. episode 6 also had the benefit of stuff coming together and stuff happening -- the sheriff and the mom are on the road uncovering Jane's backstory, we see her actually doing things (and she actually talks by the episode's end, in a way that sounds more natural despite the minimalism), there are some action sequences with tension, and so forth (versus characters just walking around without much specific to say and trying to look angsty). Basically the episode felt like it flowed naturally, action and dialogue, in a way I felt some of the earlier stuff didn't.

Unfortunately Nickson-Lopez didn't write any other episodes in the season, but maybe with the plot moving forward, the last two episodes will be better as well.

The sensory deprivation tank scenes were interesting but I felt like they cribbed the internal visuals from the alien's perspective in "Under the Skin." they still looked cool.

EDIT: Went ahead and finished it. The season definitely felt end-loaded, the last three episodes were pretty engrossing even with any dialogue or characterization weaknesses simply because the plot was pretty strong, things were in service to the plot, and lots of interesting stuff was happening.