• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Bad

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finished Breaking Bad again today. I am still amazed at how well they threaded the needle. Like, you need to have your audience maintain empathy with Walt, yet also acknowledge all the wrong that he did, and feel like everyone got what they deserved. And pretty much that is what happens, although some people (like Walt's family) end up worse than how they started the series... but that was the fallout from what Walt did, and you know at least there will be the trust coming for Flynn and thus for the others.

There's the really great moment in E15 where Ed goes to leave and Walt sounds so vulnerable and lost, and... begs him just to stay another hour. At that point, you know he has finally been broken by everything he has lost and is finally "listening" and thinking about his life. The old Walt would never beg. This Walt just feels completely alone and lost and like he has nothing. (And in fact he has nothing, aside from the money that he sold his entire life for and now can't even use.)

It's kinda funny that after his conversation with Flynn, he's about ready to end it all -- and then he hears the Schwartzes impugning him on national television and it immediately stokes his fire. If they hadn't done that, would Walt have just given up? But here you are kind of rooting that Walt will find a little bit of that piss and vinegar that drove him for so long, for one final blaze of glory.

In the finale, the come-uppance seems to be handled tonally so perfectly for each supporting character.

Pretty much the entire BB universe has been brilliant. I still feel like BB walked so that BCS could run -- I think BCS had the harder lift and could not resort to such extremes for its drama, it had to make even more mundane plots be entirely fascinating, and more nuance about characters living in a gray area -- but all of it fits together so nicely.

I have to say I laugh every time I see Francesca, as here we just see her at the tail end -- bitter and nasty and caustic -- compared to how BCS reveals she used to be, which was very sweet and kind and positive, until Jimmy ran her into the ground. Walt doesn't even faze her out when he threatens her, and she takes him down a peg.

The main people that get worse than they deserve are mostly the kids (Holly, Flynn, Caeley Ehrmentraut, Andrew, Brock) and maybe you can make a case that Skyler and Marie and Jesse are punished more than warranted despite those three having done some shady or bad things. (Marie is the most innocent, but she's just opinionated and annoying sometimes.) I think the deal with Jesse is that he always wanted to be better and you could see that in moments where the grime was removed, like in the Peekabo episode, or how hard dealing with Gale hit him, how much he loved Jane and Brock and Andrea, and that he was constantly abused and treated badly by everyone in the show including his parents. But when someone treated him with respect, even Mike and Gus, he would bear up and shine. He's the only one who really seemed to be tormented by his guilt and didn't embrace depravity, which I think is why he ended up where he did and it feels like a happy ending as resolved in El Camino.