• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange Days is actually on HBO Max currently -- which means it's probably the cleanest / largest version of the film available right now (esp on large TVs), even if the quality is only HD.
I went and watched it over the weekend for the first time since it came out (it was a box office bomb, so I was one of the few to see it in the theater back then, I guess). I didn't really like it then and still am not a big fan.

It is clearly a post Rodney King era movie, with a mix of a memory recording devise that was similar to earlier films. The killer cops were very plastic. Fiennes was so out of character. I never liked Juliette Lewis much. And it is too long.

It only got made because James Cameron was married to Bigelow and it was almost her first and last movie.

There is some nice things mixed into the mess, but this wasn't one of the better films of the era.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haven't seen that but I think Point Break is a solid movie. I didn't have high expectations going in and it pleasantly surpassed them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't seen that but I think Point Break is a solid movie. I didn't have high expectations going in and it pleasantly surpassed them.
I watched it once, fell asleep. But the newer one was worse.

Face it, I'm not much of a Keanu fan outside of a few select roles (Parenthood and John Wick), and the Matrix films were enjoyable enough on their own to not be derailed by his wooden acting.

I'm not really a huge Bigelow fan in general. I think Hurt Locker was likely her best work. I really love elements of Near Dark but again a lot of the film felt flat outside of the performances themselves (Bill Paxton was a rock star).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched them recently and found the Wick movies kind of boring. Pretty to look at though. Keanu is the one big selling point. Totally forgettable plot.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I really enjoyed the Ice Harvest. Oliver Platt is always a treat on screen, but this was a legitimately comedic modern noir film. Ive always preferred John Cusack when he plays a technical villain. Billy Bob Tornton is Im pretty sure playing close to his actual self in this movie a bit lol. Ned Bellamy might be the funniest character who's performance might have stole the show of the male cast. Randy Quaid is the worst. But Connie Neilson carries this movie. She's very much sinking her teeth into the femme fatale role and plays it a mix between a Faye Dunaway and Lauren Bacall. This whole movie is an homage to the noir genre and you can tell the cast is just as into it as the writers were.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched them recently and found the Wick movies kind of boring. Pretty to look at though. Keanu is the one big selling point. Totally forgettable plot.
Yeah, it's not really about the plot or the dialogue. They're also suited for Reeves.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Watched Tár today. Pretty excellent. Todd Fields has made three films in his career and garnered 6 Academy Award noms just for his parts of this films over those three (including noms for many of his top cast). He's really great at what he does.

Tar can't really be put in a box or be chalked up as supporting a particular view, it feels more like a psychological study of the eponymous character and interesting in how it reminds me more of foreign films I've watched made by folks like Olivier Assayas (than a typical American film) -- maybe the average movie-going audience in the US doesn't know quite how to parse them, as I've seen some less finessed takes on what the film is saying. I see it as exploring particular spaces, with the ultimate story still being about Lydia Tar, her strengths and flaws, the guilt that grows nibbling and then gnawing at the corners of her psyche, and then a reset of her life. She's both glorious and awful, and it's really also a review of how easily power can corrupt if someone allows the trappings of power to go to their head. So many small and large lies, so much opportunities practice self-indulgence while pretending to be beyond such things, viewing life as a series of transactions rather than commitment to other important individuals in one's life.

Blanchett does offer a powerful performance, there's no denying that.

It's sad to with so many falling from grace. Just reminded of James Levine (who I actually saw once at the Met, one of my dad's high school music students was principal bassoonist there for some years), who was associated with so much success and the pinnacle of concert music for so many years, but apparently also for whom there was talk behind the scenes for years of his abuses. In this world and so many others that have insular power, there's a culture where much is known, yet little is done until a kind of critical mass is reached.

I felt like the film also asked a bit of hard questions about identity politics, that are difficult and confusing to answer -- whether it's tied into systematic inequities or individual abuses. If a person who achieves admirable things ends up also being a dick (or even a monster), how does that impact the value of what they've provided? How much can the work be separated from the creator? This is still a relevant topic today. I think Fields has a strong approach in that he explores it but I don't feel like he is dictating an answer to that.
I'm so glad you saw it and gave a good review. It's finally being shown at a theater really close to me but I see I can also just rent it on Prime.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm so glad you saw it and gave a good review. It's finally being shown at a theater really close to me but I see I can also just rent it on Prime.
yup, Prime has been pretty convenient. I will not pay $20 for a release but I can afford $6-7.

As a tangent discussion, it's kind of a tough call for me whether I think Everything Everywhere All at Once (which I adore) and Michelle Yeoh's performance was "better" than Tar and Blanchett.

IMO they are both excellent films/performances and yet totally different films and approaches to filmmaking.

I will be both thrilled and disappointed no matter which wins (as I consider them both frontrunners in those two categories).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched it once, fell asleep. But the newer one was worse.

Face it, I'm not much of a Keanu fan outside of a few select roles (Parenthood and John Wick), and the Matrix films were enjoyable enough on their own to not be derailed by his wooden acting.

I'm not really a huge Bigelow fan in general. I think Hurt Locker was likely her best work. I really love elements of Near Dark but again a lot of the film felt flat outside of the performances themselves (Bill Paxton was a rock star).

It's shot and made in such away that you get a pretty good sense of what it must be like to surf. I always like when a film evokes a sensory experience outside of itself. I have a friend who grew up in California and can surf and this is apparently one of his favorite movies, so perhaps it actually is something like what I'm imagining it as. There's just an extra pleasure for me when movies become a synesthetic experience.

I also like stories where an outsider has to join or infiltrate a subcultural group and work to be become initiated into their ways. Bonus points if he has a mission to do but starts having conflicted feelings and loyalties.

The bromance between Swayze and Reeves was also something I found compelling. I loved that he let Swayze follow his dream of riding the ultimate wave, going out as he wanted (or maybe surviving?) I actually saw waves like that when I was in California last January during a tsunami.

A large part of it for me is nostalgia for that odd early-90s obsession with surfer culture (not really sure how that got started, but I definitely remember it). Perhaps if everything was still "tubular" or "bodacious" we'd be a lot better off as a nation today. We never should have stopped being "radical".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One Hour Photo.
Yeah. (Robin Williams is great. But it's got a wonderful Connie Nielson too.)

Her (oh, I see ceecee mentioned that. And yeah there is a Limerence film, never seen it tho)
500 Days of Summer

I see Great Gatsby mentioned alot but I've never seen a version of it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One movie I didn't care for that's a cult sensation was Phantasm. Once the monster was revealed the movie lost me. Jawas, really?

I kinda think Ewoks would be scarier since they already eat people. And I'll bet a shaved Ewok would be pretty scary looking. Shaved, rabid Ewoks that rob graves or whatever. There, I just thought up a scarier horror movie than phantasm.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are there any good films or docs about limerence?

I know a gripping chronicle of the lengths an obsessed soul can go to when the cornerstone of his psyche is taken from him. Who knows what depths of madness any of us might sink to when faced with such a loss?

I refer, of course, to Peewee's Big Adventure.

Last edited: