• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney Series

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welp, here we go again.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Hold as Calls Go Out for New Scripts | Hollywood Reporter

Sources tell THR that the scripts — only two were written — and story became an issue and that the entire package has been jettisoned. Lucasfilm is now on the hunt for a new writer to pen the series. At the same time, sources say the project is being reconfigured from six episodes to four.

It is unclear when the show will ramp up again, although insiders stress that McGregor remains attached to star and Chow remains on as director. Disney had no comment.

The development follows social media rumors a week ago that the series was cancelled. Those posts proved premature, but did expose the project was facing problems.

It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story trod similar ground as The Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and possible even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody.

Can we please just dump the Skywalkers? So sick of storylines involving them.

Plus... it's not Baby Yoda, ROFLMAO, it's "The Child."

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not surprised. Given how well received the Mandalorian has been, it's almost painfully predictable that the Disney execs would go, "MORE OF THAT!"

I don't have anything against the Skywalker kids but I would love either a story involving Obi-Wan Pre-Phantom Menance. I read somewhere that Liam Neeson was on board for this to reprise his role, which would be great.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
As I see it a big part of their problem is they should be releasing these as miniseries events. Then gague which ones do well on that merit then further develop those. But then I forget delivering quality entertaining television is an afterthought these days.

You know, because it's all made in a robot asylum now...clearly that's the mist fitting explanation. Our shows and movies are being made by insane robots.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want them all written by Bender and K-2SO from Rogue One.

I'm not surprised. Given how well received the Mandalorian has been, it's almost painfully predictable that the Disney execs would go, "MORE OF THAT!"

I don't have anything against the Skywalker kids but I would love either a story involving Obi-Wan Pre-Phantom Menance. I read somewhere that Liam Neeson was on board for this to reprise his role, which would be great.

Yeah, I would actually be okay with that although the age problem might rear its head. McGregor is 20 years older now IRL -- he actually is pretty youthful looking for his age but it still visibly older from what I recall from Doctor Sleep that came out in 2019. (And Neeson too, although he has looked craggy the whole time.)

But yeah, THe Mandolorian mostly takes places on Tattooinish planets and/or Tattooine. Like, please please please... the Star Wars universe is so damned huge, can we just get off Tattooine? For being the backwaters of the galaxy, everything in Star Wars seems obsessed with it or planets that look like it.

3895tl.jpg

The Cat

Staff member
I want them all written by Bender and K-2SO from Rogue One.

Yeah, I would actually be okay with that although the age problem might rear its head. McGregor is 20 years older now IRL -- he actually is pretty youthful looking for his age but it still visibly older from what I recall from Doctor Sleep that came out in 2019. (And Neeson too, although he has looked craggy the whole time.)

But yeah, THe Mandolorian mostly takes places on Tattooinish planets and/or Tattooine. Like, please please please... the Star Wars universe is so damned huge, can we just get off Tattooine? For being the backwaters of the galaxy, everything in Star Wars seems obsessed with it or planets that look like it.

3895tl.jpg

They would be obsessed with tree planets but those are being replaced with highways and autozones and dollar fucking generals. One day all star wars movies will take place on location in coruscant :dry:

I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to do a Kenobi series based off this comic from Star Wars Tales, where a middle ageing salt and pepper Obi Wan spends time with Luke till he's about 8 and Darth Maulbot track down Kenobi and tries to use Luke to get to him. Oh sure Obi Wan takes care of beesniz, but it Rattles Owen enough to make him angrily make Obi wan stay away from Luke, so he becomes "Old Ben" a crazy old hermit who watches Luke grow up from afar...

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's interesting and Im sure accidental on their part. But Vader doesnt step foot on Tatooine in a new hope...:happy2:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^in the auralnauts edits/paraodies, Vader wants to drop by to say hi to Owen, but his officers complain they're on a tight schedule so he just sends a fruit basket instead :D

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really excited by a Kenobi series, but I think Skywalkers should be a footnote in it, at best. Luke barely recognizes him in A New Hope, so this suggests their paths didn't really cross much prior to that film. I'm guessing maybe they met once or twice in those 19 years, and probably when Luke was very young. I imagine he didn't meet Leia at all, as he didn't want to attract attention to her.

So I could see a Luke storyline taking up at most one episode. If it becomes the entire focus and they cast some lovable little blonde toddler and try to clone the Mandalorian formula, this is probably a series I'll totally lose interest in. There's so many great opportunities for stories that needn't involve Skywalker babies. I get why The Child works in The Mandalorian, because it sort of juxtaposes that cute baby with a hardened bounty hunter. It works there. But we don't really need this in a Kenobi story, it would be pointless. We already know Kenobi is a jedi sworn to protect the weak, this would do nothing to expand his character in a series supposed to be about him. Mandalorian is already dangerously close to becoming the baby yoda show. Let's not do the same with Kenobi, Disney.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really excited by a Kenobi series, but I think Skywalkers should be a footnote in it, at best. Luke barely recognizes him in A New Hope, so this suggests their paths didn't really cross much prior to that film. I'm guessing maybe they met once or twice in those 19 years, and probably when Luke was very young. I imagine he didn't meet Leia at all, as he didn't want to attract attention to her.

So I could see a Luke storyline taking up at most one episode. If it becomes the entire focus and they cast some lovable little blonde toddler and try to clone the Mandalorian formula, this is probably a series I'll totally lose interest in. There's so many great opportunities for stories that needn't involve Skywalker babies. I get why The Child works in The Mandalorian, because it sort of juxtaposes that cute baby with a hardened bounty hunter. It works there. But we don't really need this in a Kenobi story, it would be pointless. We already know Kenobi is a jedi sworn to protect the weak, this would do nothing to expand his character in a series supposed to be about him. Mandalorian is already dangerously close to becoming the baby yoda show. Let's not do the same with Kenobi, Disney.

Yeah, thematically, having a ward runs counter to the Mandalorian character concept on the surface, so it's a device used to generate conflict within the Mandalorian (although it ends up being incorporated into his creed with him starting his OWN tribe so to speak). It would contribute nothing to Kenobi in that way because it's part of who he already is, and I don't think retconning more SW is a great way to go. And we don't need another Mandalorian show.

We always see Kenobi in relation to other characters (Qui-Gon, Anakin, Luke).

Who the hell is he on his own? It was kind of interesting seeing him solo a bit in Revenge of the Sith. Let's see more of who Obi-Wan is when he has no one else to live up to.

The Cat

Staff member
Yeah, thematically, having a ward runs counter to the Mandalorian character concept on the surface, so it's a device used to generate conflict within the Mandalorian (although it ends up being incorporated into his creed with him starting his OWN tribe so to speak). It would contribute nothing to Kenobi in that way because it's part of who he already is, and I don't think retconning more SW is a great way to go. And we don't need another Mandalorian show.

We always see Kenobi in relation to other characters (Qui-Gon, Anakin, Luke).

Who the hell is he on his own? It was kind of interesting seeing him solo a bit in Revenge of the Sith. Let's see more of who Obi-Wan is when he has no one else to live up to.

He's much singier on his own.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked the brief bits of Obi Wan on his own in RotSith. I think he's a very protective guy, which is why he always comes across like a fuddy duddy when seen with Luke or Anakin. But on his own, he seems to breathe a little and almost have fun for once.

"Hello there"

The Cat

Staff member
I liked the brief bits of Obi Wan on his own in RotSith. I think he's a very protective guy, which is why he always comes across like a fuddy duddy when seen with Luke or Anakin. But on his own, he seems to breathe a little and almost have fun for once.

"Hello there"

I've always imagined he was somewhat of a bar fly. probably where he got the nickname "Ben" It strikes me as a bar nickname because it's totally the kind of thing a drunken spacer comes up with because "Obi-wan...what kind of a name is that?" (Drunken spacers can be honest about the stupid nature of star wars names.)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always imagined he was somewhat of a bar fly. probably where he got the nickname "Ben" It strikes me as a bar nickname because it's totally the kind of thing a drunken spacer comes up with because "Obi-wan...what kind of a name is that?" (Drunken spacers can be honest about the stupid nature of star wars names.)

Funny enough, the aforementioned auralnauts edit makes a similar implication about him. The guys pushing Luke around at the bar seem to know him.

But seriously, you're probably right. I doubt he spent all 19 years just meditating in his hut. I'm sure he had to go into Mos Eisley from time to time to pick up supplies like toilet paper, cheese puffs, soda, pizza rolls, lightsaber replacement parts, etc. Probably wasn't advertising his jedi status but I'm sure he'd at least be known as that old hermit guy who occasionally visits town.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny enough, the aforementioned auralnauts edit makes a similar implication about him. The guys pushing Luke around at the bar seem to know him.

But seriously, you're probably right. I doubt he spent all 19 years just meditating in his hut. I'm sure he had to go into Mos Eisley from time to time to pick up supplies like toilet paper, cheese puffs, soda, pizza rolls, lightsaber replacement parts, etc. Probably wasn't advertising his jedi status but I'm sure he'd at least be known as that old hermit guy who occasionally visits town.

I wonder if he went to the Sam's or the Tattooine equivalent, to get the 64-roll pack of toilet paper. (Hmm, if you can do a Force-wipe, can you get by without TP?)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, that's good that the rumors are blown out of proportion. After ROS I'm getting a little tired of these production snafus... although maybe ROS would have been better if it actually had been pushed back instead of just replacing the writers and directors.

The Cat

Staff member
I wonder if he went to the Sam's or the Tattooine equivalent, to get the 64-roll pack of toilet paper. (Hmm, if you can do a Force-wipe, can you get by without TP?)

butt jokes!:happy2:

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Obi-wan is one of the most iconic Jedis in the series ever! This could be great if well done...

I would prefer to be a movie rather than a series... it could show the story of Obi-Wan as a whole... The moments before Anakin (the first film in the Star Wars timeline... not counting the Han Solo movie...), then the moments with Luke.. Him training as a kid, more details about the jedi order. This has a lot of potential.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished the series today. What a garbage of a show. I made the grave mistake of expecting something similar to Andor and Mandalorian before watching this.

* The plot was Mediocre
* They overused Darth Vader
* Vader is so evil he lives in the middle of a Lava field
* The conversations are written by a preteen.
"I can't help you"
"Please she us 10 I need your help"
"Okay I will help you"

* The inquisitors look and sound like comic book villains.
* The princess Leia was an immediate Mary Sue.
* The sense of humour wasn't star wars material at all
"Just pretend I'm your father"
"Grandfather maybe"
"What?"
"Nothing"

* Full of Cringe
* The 3rd sister got flipped after one conversation with Obi Wan.
Pathetic.

I forgave Disney for all the recent shitty SW movies - with the exception of Rogue one which was brilliant - for making such a brilliant show- Andor. I take it back now.

If you are going to spend 100 million dollars making a movie, please spend at least 5 percent of that money writing a good plot, getting test audience feedback etc.

Pathetic.

They managed to make Darth Vader lame. This after making his freakishly amazing in Rogue One.