• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math: Do you prefer Algebra or Geometry?

á´…eparted

passages
Visual thinking has come very naturally to me ever since I was very little. I've since learned it's not common, but it still baffles me that people can't manipulate 3D objects in their mind :shrug:. It's the primary reason I did well at geometry. I could look at the shapes, angles, etc. and in a few second know the answer.

It's also a big reason why I'm an organic chemist. There's a large visual/spatial component to it.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought both were pretty fun. I was a little better at algebra but probably enjoyed geometry more? I was pretty good at math in high school all around.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A little more info.. I actually failed my first year of algebra. The first time, I had a teacher who insisted on relating every lesson (not an exaggeration) to sports--a nightmare to a nerdy kid who knew jack shit about baseball stats, let alone any of the basic rules of popular sports; the teacher just assumed all of the students would easily relate, and he was right about the majority, except made no effort to work with the few who didn't and on occasion made snarky, belittling comments to anyone who didn't "get" his sports analogies. I spent so much time trying to remember and learn sports terminology that I barely had time to grasp the math itself. He also accused me of cheating because I often came to the correct answers without doing the work exactly in the order and manner which he'd taught. I understand that there are good reasons for having a certain system in place for doing the math (can make it easier for mathematicians to retrace their steps if something goes wrong, perhaps?), but it's frustrating to be penalized for not thinking the same way as the majority of students.

I thought I was horrible at math until I retook it and received an A (minus). This time I had a teacher who taught it in a very universal manner. Hard to explain, but she laid it out in a way which even a non-English speaking student could probably easily pick up: math, when taught correctly, need not be bound to/by language (or sports references).

As I said before, I enjoyed geometry more, but I didn't do as well. I had to work harder at it, and memorizing proofs and rules was tedious. I'd assumed that, somewhat being a visual learner and having good spatial intelligence, I would've done better.

Statistics was fun and easy.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
A little more info.. I actually failed my first year of algebra. The first time, I had a teacher who insisted on relating every lesson (not an exaggeration) to sports--a nightmare to a nerdy kid who knew jack shit about baseball stats, let alone any of the basic rules of popular sports; the teacher just assumed all of the students would easily relate, and he was right about the majority, except made no effort to work with the few who didn't and on occasion made snarky, belittling comments to anyone who didn't "get" his sports analogies. I spent so much time trying to remember and learn sports terminology that I barely had time to grasp the math itself. He also accused me of cheating because I often came to the correct answers without doing the work exactly in the order and manner which he'd taught. I understand that there are good reasons for having a certain system in place for doing the math (can make it easier for mathematicians to retrace their steps if something goes wrong, perhaps?), but it's frustrating to be penalized for not thinking the same way as the majority of students.

I understand how frustrating this had to be although, baseball stats is exactly how I learned algebra and later on, statistics. It made total sense to me because I could visualize batting average, for instance, completely in my mind. If I looked at 97 hits/277 at bats = X I could see a player batting, I could see them getting on base and I could see runs being scored in my head. I told my teachers this and they were like - whatever works for you.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand how frustrating this had to be although, baseball stats is exactly how I learned algebra and later on, statistics. It made total sense to me because I could visualize batting average, for instance, completely in my mind. If I looked at 97 hits/277 at bats = X I could see a player batting, I could see them getting on base and I could see runs being scored in my head. I told my teachers this and they were like - whatever works for you.

That's perfectly fine and whatever helps students better learn and memorize is fine, but this teacher used nothing but sports references. He was unwilling or unable to explain algebra in a way that didn't involve sports. So, good for the jocks and sports fans in the class, not so good for anyone else.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp

I thought I was horrible at math until I retook it and received an A (minus). This time I had a teacher who taught it in a very universal manner. Hard to explain, but she laid it out in a way which even a non-English speaking student could probably easily pick up: math, when taught correctly, need not be bound to/by language (or sports references).

As I said before, I enjoyed geometry more, but I didn't do as well. I had to work harder at it, and memorizing proofs and rules was tedious. I'd assumed that, somewhat being a visual learner and having good spatial intelligence, I would've done better.

Statistics was fun and easy.

Hey I had a 9% in algebra 2 up until about the last two weeks of that semester when I finally completely flipped out at her(her own fault, she called the conference). She was one of those annoying people where if it wasn't absolutely her way it was the highway... And well, her way was just stupid. Dumbest rule on the planet- If you didn't do all of your homework she wouldn't grade your test. And my tests were effin ace, so why the hell would I need to do any homework, wasn't going to happen-made a point of it not happening. I get that it would be difficult to apply individual standards and is much easier to force a blanket standard-and then enforce it through dictatorial standards, but school should just be about the learning, and if that is done who cares. Why should I have to work backwards?(I mean unless the answer was ambiguous or had the potential for a negative consequence, like documentation needed for a drug trial), but in this situation no. I hate getting impacted by someoes personal system, when they can't see beyond showing you their absolute authority. Because that wasn't math, this was powerplays, and I wasn't going to deal with it.(though I did ultimately I guess by not...) Bit passive aggressive though, yet it worked out in the end and made my point. I'd write more, but I am not nearly as pissed off by it as I was at the time. Kind of young back then, kind of blind.

What did people think of Trig? I'm kind of lukewarm about it, liked some parts, repelled by others. I like math when it is pure and unadulterated, and calculators... They are iffy to me on that. A nice old paper and pencil, oh yes.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like both, even trigonometry. I passed calculus,but don't really remember any of it at all. I was working from 6:30 pm to 7:00 am at the time and calculus was at 9:00 am. I don't know how I passed with a B, but I did somehow. I couldn't even give a generalization. Of what calculus entails :doh:

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Both but prefer algebra. Although I really enjoyed geometry.

i couldn't believe Advanced Calculus was considered difficult. It was the easiest subject I've ever done. I don't remember any of it now, but I remember being really confused in class because I knew that it was supposed to be difficult, but I found it even easier than trig...

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always hated math and both my algebra and geometry teachers were terrible, but I'd have to go with geometry. The only reason I got a better grade in algebra is because everyone, including me, cheated on everything.

I don't know what made geometry easier, it just seemed like once you get a certain number of formulas and proofs nailed down, you can answer any question with those basics and don't have to keep learning more.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate math. But if I had to pick, it would be geometry which was alright. I like shape and patterns and do better with such. I had zero interest in Math and it's many rules.. and when I don't have an interest in something. It's hard to bother.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some kind of ExTP, I imagine.

Algebra all the way. I didn't begin to appreciate geometry until calculus and even that was begrudgingly.

93JC

It's difficult for me to separate the two. To me geometry and algebra are just tools I can use to solve problems. Neither one is really preferable over the other, I use whichever makes the problem solving easiest. I was always comfortable doing any kind of math, I never had great difficulty with any of it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked both, and was able to do well at both, but thought algebra was more fun.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Geometry. I liked the visual nature, proofs, and how things build on one another.

The way I was taught algebra, it was mostly: here's a technique. Do that technique. Do that technique a lot. Here's another technique. Do that other technique. Do that other technique a lot. (continue repeating with each algebraic technique being presented as a stand-alone) I suspect that experience had more to do with my algebra 1 & 2 teacher, rather than anything inherent to algebra.

I also really liked calculus, because it also all hung together and one could re-derive things as needed (at least until the trig parts).

Ashlee

MBTI Type
INFP
As an INFP, I really enjoyed and did well in algebra versus geometry. I feel you on that one.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like both, for different reasons, and was equally good at both. The math I find most fun is linear algebra.