• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wives Tales and False Positivisms help unconsciously to Stigmatize people with real issues.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a pet peeve with irrational, angry, negative energy or those people espousing opinions that have no scientific or reality merit. I now add new age concepts: vibration, frequency, reincarnation. Karma and other concepts.

The only reason is that these false positivisms can be detrimental to societies members. I’m going to share the biggest of many. “Time heals all wounds.” People learn this positive mantra.

I know better. I am educated. It has been proven by studies ironically conducted here in Hawaii. They are the Resiliency studies. It has been shown that a full 2/3 of children growing up in dysfunctional homes for the rest of their lives have problems in at least one if not multiple areas.

Jobs, substance abuse, mental illness, relationships etc. I am not even taking into account school bullying. Somehow 1/3 overcome the odds. As a perfectionistic overachiever most of my life, I know perfectionism is not healthy.

An ignorant person wrote one of my threads, “Depression can be overcome if one gets over their ego and puts in the work.” I did not respond. I am not going to change the mind of someone with such an egregious false belief.

This is why I am so adamant against new age positivism. It does not teach the person to think for themselves and use judicious discernment. What’s more they blame the victim of circumstances.

Just one is, “The Universe is Love.” For those who prescribe to a loving, caring universe or God, it has been empirically shown they are unconsciously more judgmental. I am educated. I don’t mouth positive niceties with no foundation in reason nor science.

How? Again my own personal stance, the universe is neither love nor hate. The universe is an impartial and indifferent to the squabbles of man.

“M. J. Lerner studied the tendency of individuals to believe in a just world. In a just world good things happen to good people, and bad things would happen to bad people.

Much of the research into belief in a just world centers around developing measures that indicate the degree to which an individual believes in a just world.

A strong belief in a just world increases the likelihood of "blaming the victim" since such a world view denies the possibility of innocent victims." GRE: Graduate Record Examination, subject test: Psychology, 2016

Thus the irony and hypocrisy of different religious beliefs that picture a kind and loving God or believe in Karma in the wives tale, “Of what goes around comes around.” Those who believe in this are more judgmental rather than less.

There is correlation. I always am looking for causation, a direct causal link and proven with scientific methods.

To me two of the most egregious when it comes to unintentional harm by indoctrinating beliefs that can’t be substantiated, are 1. Time Heals All Wounds. 2. The Universe is Fair, Just or some other human projection.

Both of these beliefs have negative unintentional adverse affects when it comes to judging others and we as a society less understanding of those who go through things we can’t understand. Not only do people have to overcome travails they have to put up with judgment and stigmatization.

I know they are coming from a positive stance. This is only my path. I am not speaking for another. Nor am I saying I am right. I ignore unless they have new age positivisms that bear no merit, then I dissect.

I am an empiricist of philosophy. For anybody who believes in something without hard, replicated proof to me it is called the cognitive distortion called ‘Emotional Reasoning.’

I’ve written that, “Just because I think, feel, or passionately believe in something, does not necessitate it’s the truth unless it is proven by hard science in the here and now and replicated.”

“Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your soul repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back.” Buddhist saying.

“This is a wives tale. Does anyone of my friends know why? I’ve written about why this is categorically not true. It’s even harmful. Why? Again I’ve written about this. I will further eloborate.

I never make fluffy opinions. If I state something it’s backed up by research science and high academia. I can’t stand fluff like this cluttering up peoples minds with blatant untruth.

In the dictionary sense not name calling this is an ignorant statement. Again, i can back up every point I make. These quotations whether they’re secular, religious or new age are simple. They amount to air.

The wives tales, positivisms and simple statements don’t take the time to critically proocess and use judicious discernment in evaluating the statement with the clear lens of Reason.

As such they are harmful. They are empty calories for the brain. People will believe statements and never question the quotation. That is where biases, stereotypes and hidden prejudices are stored in the subconscious.

People then get judged if they don’t accomplish an air statement. This statement itself is emotional reasoning, a wives tale and a false positivism that can do harm to those who follow it blindly.

To be fair the person who posts this, their intentions are good. They are trying to spread positivity and hope. I understand this. In the dictionary sense though they are making an uneducated position and disseminating it to the public.

I’m not castigating them. Their intentions are good. Ladies and gentlemen I am not bragging. I overcame a lot of trauma and abuse. I’ve been an avid reader and am well versed both academically and self taught.

Thus either through education or self read absorption of knowledge and wisdom I am at doctoral level in psychology, philosophy, history, comparative religion and theology.

I know what is called the resiliency studies. It was researched that a full two thirds of children who grew up in a dysfunctional household, for the rest of their lives suffers in at least one area if not more.

They had problems with substance abuse, mental illness, jobs and relationships among other areas of dysfunction. One third somehow overcame the odds.

Whether it was due to good genes or an adult figure like a coach outside of the home they prospered in spite of these statistics. I’m not even taking account school bullying and how that affects youngsters.

This is research science with replicated results verifying these startling statistics. I don’t know how to put a stop to false wives tales. They keep getting spread generationally. I am not attacking the site ot the person propitiating such false news.

I’m going to give a specific example of how this false positivism and disseminated wives tales corrupts people with erroneous ideas.

A person on a thread to my horror and astonishment said, “That depression can be overcome. All a person has to do is hard work and to get over themselves. I didn’t even respond to such in a dictionary sense appealing ignorance.

People and sites that disseminate false wives tales brainwash people into thinking things which just don’t add up to science, research or facts. What’s more is if a person can’t overcome obstacles, threes is going to be blame the victim mentality.

If people don’t have enough trauma to overcome. These false positivisms and false news broadcasts then further stigmatizes people into believing it’s all their fault.

To not only have to endure various traumas but then to be judged by people and society all because they believe in false premises. There has to be a stop.” LightSun

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“Wives tales and false positivism are beliefs that do not stand the test of scientific scrutiny. These quotations ascribed to New Age quotes many times are too simplistic.

Because these beliefs are ingrained they are unconscious and rarely are tested through judicious discernment or using critical thinking skills. They unknowingly help to stigmatize people dealing with real issues.

There is no new world coming just because we wish it. The most profound true quote whether religious or secular is by Carl Jung.

“Until we make the unconscious conscious we will never evolve.”

To do that there has to be changes in education and teaching our young of cognitive distributions in the thought process.

Until we make changes the status quo will continue. I happen to know from a historian perspective that each generation thinks they are upon the great awakening.

This has been evident at each juncture. Let’s just stick with the Middle Ages. People have thought there is to be an awakening in from 1300 and each century since then to current times.

This is called emotional reasoning, a cognitive defined distortion. Our minds fool us. I’ve written that just because I passionately believe, think and feel something does not necessitate that it’s the truth

unless it can be proven by hard science research methodology in the here and now and the results replicated.

This generation will die and there will be certain individuals in the next generation that also think that a new awakening is upon us.

This is wishful thinking and quite frankly a false positivism. Until we make changes in educating our young in the role of the unconscious, we will continue to be asleep.

i don’t know all the answers. Changes in education with 1. Active Listening Skills 2. Empathy classes 3. Cognitive Mindfulness and awareness of thought distortions in the unconscious.

Since we are not aware by and large most citizens of the unconscious, It continues to affect our thoughts, feelings, speech, writing and actions.

Plato 2,500 years ago said, “Until we have lovers of wisdom…” I.E. Those mindful, we will never evolve.

We evolve technologically but have not evolved psychologically, emotionally, nor spiritually since the ancient ones and the dawn of creation.

Thankfully we institute new laws but these are usually resisted and it’s a long drawn out battle to institute positive changes.” LightSun

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“When I understand my own darkness, I discovered my own light.” Unknown

“There are Resiliency Studies done on children who grow up in dysfunctional households for the rest of their lives a full 2/3 go on to have problems in one or more of these areas.

Substance Abuse, Mental Illness, Crime, Jobs, Relationships, etc. This is hard science in the field. I know these feel good quotes are supposed to inspire us. I call these Wives Tales and False Positivisms.

Well another study tells of those who believe in a just, fair and loving God or universe are in an unconscious manner more judgmental.

‘Belief in a just world’
M.J. Lerner studied the tendency of individuals to believe in a just world. In a just world, good things would happen to good people, and bad things would happen to bad people,

Much of the research into belief in a just world (BJW) centers around developing measures that indicate the degree to which an individual believes in a just world.

A strong belief in a just world increase the likelihood of “blaming the victim” since such a world view denied the possibility of innocent victims.” Source: GRE: Graduate Record Examination, Subject Test: Psychology, 2016

These types of fluffy quotes do a disservice to critical thinking and the use of judicious discernment in our reasong.

They unknowingly unconsciously influence people to take a more judgmental attitude of Blame The Victim. It does a disservice to those who have already been kicked down.” LightSun