• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would be the ideal education today?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Homeschooling is just another way society expects mothers to solve our problems for free. (How much homeschooling is supervised by Dads???)
Agree but at this point, I can't really fault people for wanting to get their kids out of school for safety reasons. Depending on how psychotic the state is that they live in, some are better than others. But in the past the homeschooled kids I've known were homeschooled for religious reasons, their curriculum was religious based, some of it completely insane. None of them fared well in college, even though they were quite intelligent and a couple just ended up working on their family farm. Seems like they were breed and educated to be free labor.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agree but at this point, I can't really fault people for wanting to get their kids out of school for safety reasons. Depending on how psychotic the state is that they live in, some are better than others. But in the past the homeschooled kids I've known were homeschooled for religious reasons, their curriculum was religious based, some of it completely insane. None of them fared well in college, even though they were quite intelligent and a couple just ended up working on their family farm. Seems like they were breed and educated to be free labor.
That's exactly the "every man [woman/family]" for himself mentality that people in power rely upon to divide and conquer. Yes, many families homeschool out of religious isolationism, trying to keep their children from encountering anything not in step with their own worldview. As you say, it often comes back to bite the kids in the end. Families that homeschool in response to shortcomings in the local public schools just take the most engaged and informed families out of that system, further weakening it. I have seen firsthand how a family that did not have that option held the public system accountable for what their own child was entitled to, and in doing so, raised the bar for the entire school. Yes, it is work. Most families cannot take this on. If one or two can, though, it makes a world of difference, and when other families see their leadership, they will join in to give the numbers.

One thing public schools need to do is stop tying their own hands with foolish rules and requirements. See the linked article on current teacher shortages. The article laments the fact that many public schools are trying to make do with "less than qualified" teachers. But who are these people? In my area, we have several local colleges and universities. Many of the faculty, some with their own kids in school, would be happy to help out by picking up a class in their town's high school or middle school, but they are not allowed. No matter how experienced or skilled as instructors, they are considered "unqualified" by the state, not having jumped through the meaningless hoops required for state certification. Yet another example of where schools belly-ache about not having resources, while turning away what is available, sometimes for free.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One thing public schools need to do is stop tying their own hands with foolish rules and requirements. See the linked article on current teacher shortages. The article laments the fact that many public schools are trying to make do with "less than qualified" teachers. But who are these people? In my area, we have several local colleges and universities. Many of the faculty, some with their own kids in school, would be happy to help out by picking up a class in their town's high school or middle school, but they are not allowed. No matter how experienced or skilled as instructors, they are considered "unqualified" by the state, not having jumped through the meaningless hoops required for state certification. Yet another example of where schools belly-ache about not having resources, while turning away what is available, sometimes for free.
They also turn away qualified people because because of internal politics and give them jobs as "assistants" or "aides" instead.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
There's what you're taught and what you learn. It never stops until you die.
Teachers can be horrors or heroes, and you know this aint no place for no heroes.
That's what makes it so romantic.

Galizia

MBTI Type
int
Enneagram
Six
That's exactly the "every man [woman/family]" for himself mentality that people in power rely upon to divide and conquer. Yes, many families homeschool out of religious isolationism, trying to keep their children from encountering anything not in step with their own worldview. As you say, it often comes back to bite the kids in the end. Families that homeschool in response to shortcomings in the local public schools just take the most engaged and informed families out of that system, further weakening it. I have seen firsthand how a family that did not have that option held the public system accountable for what their own child was entitled to, and in doing so, raised the bar for the entire school. Yes, it is work. Most families cannot take this on. If one or two can, though, it makes a world of difference, and when other families see their leadership, they will join in to give the numbers.

One thing public schools need to do is stop tying their own hands with foolish rules and requirements. See the linked article on current. The article laments the fact that many public schools are trying to make do with "less than qualified" teachers. But who are these people? In my area, we have several local colleges and universities. Many of the faculty, some with their own kids in school, would be happy to help out by picking up a class in their town's high school or middle school, but they are not allowed. No matter how experienced or skilled as instructors, they are considered "unqualified" by the state, not having jumped through the meaningless hoops required for state certification. Yet another example of where schools belly-ache about not having resources, while turning away what is available, sometimes for free. If you are having real difficulty preparing for the MCAT exam, the best thing to do is to think about it and go straight to the experts, not just anyone. I have found here top https://edureviewer.com/best-mcat-prep-course-in-canada/ maximum quality companies providing such services. I think this will be useful for many students today. I myself have used these companies many times to get results.
It's simple, it's bureaucracy, it's obvious.

Last edited:

Alla_Markets

MBTI Type
Enneagram
Understanding gender and its complexities can indeed prevent unnecessary conflicts. Engaging in constructive discussions and educating oneself about these concepts can foster better communication and problem-solving. It's crucial to address real issues rather than perpetuate unnecessary disputes, creating a more inclusive and understanding environment for everyone involved.