• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What am I? So confuzzzles.

littlebirdy

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Context:

28/USA
I identify with INFP, ISFP, & INFJ most, and have been typed as IxTJ (by INTJ & INTP) and INFP (by E/INTP/J-he wasn’t sure) based on first impressions (they don’t really know me). INFP by ISFP friend and INTJ by INFP friend. INFJ by INFP sister and ENFP/J boyfriend. I’m just so confused now.

INFP was what I first identified with back in college when I took a career assessment, and it’s still something that resonates with me, especially in seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses. I’m always bent on seeing the good in others and am drawn to all things imaginative and surreal.
It’s a type I love, and whenever I see anyone whom I suspect an INFP, I get the warm fuzzies and feel comfortable. My communication preference is definitely informing and responding (the realm of INFP, ISFP, ISFJ, and INTP). If I narrow this down with the temperament(s) I relate to, then I would be INFP or INTP.
The reason I doubt INFP for myself now is because my sister also types as INFP (probably why I feel comfortable) and I have no match for her Fi Ne Si! In fact, I doubt I use much Si.

Instead, my sister thinks I’m an INFJ because she enjoys the perspectives I bring. I have a nonjudgmental attitude that makes people confide in me and ask me for input, even in things I have no personal experience in… but somehow they value them anyhow. Unlike my sister, I don’t wear my heart on my sleeves, and am much more private. I’m more organized. My sister also points out the (infamous) door slam I do, which she would never.
On the other hand, I don’t believe I’m an INFJ because I don’t have a clear sense of direction and what next steps are needed to reach goals (that inner knowing of Ni?) and I think I have Fi higher up in my stack than Fe. I’m not a social chameleon… I can’t mirror others very well and tend to break the “flow” of social interaction (poor Fe).

ISFP because it seems many get mistyped as INFP or INFJ. I love writing, drawing and sculpting and grew up dabbling in a bunch of creative pursuits. Rather than Si, which my sister definitely has, I seem to use more Se, and with Fi possibly higher up in stack than Fe, that makes ISFP seem likely…
I’m not sure why I wouldn’t be an ISFP except that being in the moment can be difficult. I’m very slow and absentminded (but could be the ADHD-PI).

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?

To create something meaningful to me and others. I’m working on writing and illustrating a book that’s based on the themes of imagined fears and being highly sensitive. It tells the story from the view of someone who struggles, and those whom they encounter and how they are affected by it. It comes from a personal experience, and I hope someone else finds it relatable.

I have other stories that I want to tell inspired by the beautiful imagery drawn from my dreams.

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?

Hmmmm…. probably lust? Not in the way of bodily pleasures, but this yearning. This longing and hoping for certain things. Maybe it’s my inner perfectionism. Pride would be least relatable.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:

a) The type of people you are drawn to
People who wear their hearts on their sleeves who are kind and open-minded. The first person I was willing to date was an ENFP and my boyfriend of two years now is an ENFP/ENFJ.

b) The type of people who are drawn to you
Childlike people (but not childish!), I think :p
The elderly and people who have had a hard life.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by
Maybe not repulsed, but I don’t enjoy interacting with people who are narrow-minded, consistently critical, or lack self-awareness to reflect on their ways. People who mindlessly impose rules on others without looking at their situation.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.

I admire people who are always themselves. I’m too afraid to put myself out there, and it makes building relationships hard. I overthink everything and sometimes even if I have a sense of things, other people’s opinions can cloud my own. And I think this may be why I fall into a state identity crisis whenever I meet new people. Being true to yourself means you know yourself and is so infectious that they help people drop their facades.

6) Describe your relationship with the following:

a) Anger - Unconstructive in its pure form. Whenever I feel angry, I like to withdraw so I don’t argue in that state. Nothing gets solved when people are angry. I’m also scared of people when they’re angry.

b) Shame - I know it very personally, and also not constructive. Guilt is ok, but shame can be irrational and holds us back in many ways.

c) Fear - Always overwhelmed with it…

d) Love/passion - I fall in love very easily…

e) Conflict - Something I need to work on more. My instinct is to avoid it, but I’m learning a lot about conflict management with my significant other as we both have nearly opposite styles. Conflict isn’t a bad thing even if it may feel very distressing. Usually growth follows conflict!

8) Answer only one of the following:

a) [College aged and above] What is your area of work/study? Why did you choose this and would you change it? If so, what would be your ideal?

I hopped numerous jobs, and now I’m working as an office assistant. It’s very stressful and I dread it every day. I can work on my creative projects only on the side. My dream job would be to work as an illustrator, or some kind of remote job where I can work in my own space on my own pace.

9) When meeting a new person, what do you tend to focus on?

If they are safe or not.

10) How do you feel about humanity as a whole? What do you feel are some of the biggest problems the human race faces and why?

Scary and awe-inspiring at the same time. I’m not really in the position to judge humanity, but some things I wish we had more of is peaceful communication/civil discourse. I wish our society was less extrinsically motivated, and instead focused more on the real value of things.

11) What are some of your hobbies and interests?

Reading, writing, drawing, sculpting, felting. Self-help. Psychology.

13) How do you usually “hang out” with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.

One on one, and I like to respond over initiate for the most part. Unless someone is asking me a lot, A LOT, of questions and I’m in the position of being drilled. I also don’t mind initiating with people I’m close to.

14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?

Depends on the intentions behind the actions or words. Also their effects.

15) Oh dear, you’ve been cursed by a witch! It’s ok though, you get a choice on which curse you will receive. Will you choose….

b) To be immortal

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

16) What do you hope to avoid being? If it helps, describe a person who embodies what you avoid/you as a villain, ect.

Abusive.

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?

I get very obsessive. I can skip meals and sleep when I’m in the flow. I have a permanent shoulder pain because I spent days like this with a sculpture and it comes back now and then if I don’t watch myself. I’m also prone to limerence…

18) Organized or messy? Plans and blueprints or impulse and surprises? What are you preferences and tendencies?

I like having a general plan for everything, but not too detailed and I don’t like having to stick to them. Often times I don't as I get side tracked, hahaa. Sometimes people spring things on me last minute, but I appreciate a heads up.

19) How do you subjectively view comfort and how do you create comfort in your life and surroundings?

I used to think these things don’t matter, that I could even live as a homeless, but then as years go by, I find myself more and more attached to little comforts like saying home warm and cozy on a rainy day listening to the pitapat of rain against window, having an aroma diffuser on so I can always catch a whiff of eucalyptus or geranium. Always having a cup of warm tea nearby, etc.

Thanks for reading :tongue: :worthy:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welcome to the forum! :bye: I like you already! ;)

You really sound like a 9 to me. :D And, if your sister has a different enneagram type, it would explain why you feel you are different in significant ways, as INFP does seem like a strong possibility for you.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem like a Fi-dom quite strongly.

littlebirdy

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aww, thank you for the warm welcome :alttongue:
Strangely, my sister is the 9... but I also score quite highly for 9 (as well as 4 and 5).

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Welcome to the forum! :bye: I like you already! ;)

You really sound like a 9 to me. :D And, if your sister has a different enneagram type, it would explain why you feel you are different in significant ways, as INFP does seem like a strong possibility for you.

I agree with Luminous, but I would still consider ISFP.

littlebirdy

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks again, everyone, for all the input! :)

It seems like the general consensus is I have a strong and visible Fi, so that narrows down to INFP or ISFP… but ISFP would be more likely since I prefer Se over Si…
My only qualm about that is despite preferring Se, it’s not necessarily something I’m comfortable with aside from how it manifests through my creative passions (or that love of comfort which could also be Si?) If Se is defined as a function that gathers data through immediate surroundings, then I actually neglect it more than I should. I’m more oblivious to my surroundings than even the NFs I know and am known for being in my head too much. I could be holding an eraser and I’d look all over the place for it, including the refrigerator (I know it’s a strange place to look, but I had reason :p )
I was guessing an ISFP with ADHD-PI might seem more absentminded like an N type, but wouldn’t their inattention still be grounded in their functions? They might get easily distracted by their immediate environment vs. getting distracted by what goes on inside their mind (concrete vs. abstract inattention). I relate to INFP’s daydreaming description in part because I can do nothing & stare at a white wall and fantasize for hours on end about make-believe worlds. The daydreaming of ISFPs might be more reality-based is just my guess.
My learning process is always to get the gist of something rather than to dwell too much on specifics, and it’s always helped me through the two degrees I’ve worked for. Sometimes I’d help my friends not to focus on memorizing details and facts, but to just get an overall comprehension/big idea (I always saw that as intuitive inclination).

But maybe I’m so attached to being INFP that I’m not seeing myself clearly and what I described is just a biased attempt to convince myself… but then again, I also can’t reconcile that inner dissonance of “oh shoot, they’re so much more random and emotionally translucent than I am” when interacting with other INFPs.