• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I head this about the Dirty Harry movies and wasn't there a Ronin movie with DeNiro? Naturally these are American cop movies but I can see how westerns evolved from a much older story (Shakespeare) or the Samuri period (1600-1868), especially since American Westerns take place at the end of that period.

Samurai cinema - Wikipedia

Yeah, "Ronin" is a Frankenheimer film I just love to death and even saw in the theater when it came out -- about disavowed spies/assassins/hackers for hire because they've veered off the beaten path and have no legitimate work in post-Cold War, and aside from the name, there's an actual anecdotal tieback to ronin in the film. So it's kind of the "modern world" equivalent. The film also seems to be all old-fashioned stuntwork with the car chases, etc., and there's an odd thing about Sean Bean in this film that breaks the meme. There's also a few great audacious moves in this film, when people make the mistake of assuming they are dealing with people of honor.

(Sean Bean, Robert DeNiro, Natasha McElhone, Stellan Skarsgard, Jean Reno, Michael Lonsdale, and another famous actor who it was great to see when he popped it.) I dunno. I just love this film, it's pretty "clean" like Michael Mann's "Heat" and just tells the story, with great actors.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't know about westerns influencing samurai movies, I thought the influence pretty much flowed in one direction. Shakespeare (at least for Kurusawa) -> samurai/Japanese -> western. But admittedly, the little I know about it is because I just really like Kurasawa. (Reminder: Star Wars is loosely based on one of Kurasawa's samurai movies too).

Sean Bean meme came up in a text discussion with my son tonight.

Me: You are going to really like one of the cast additions for this season's Westworld. [Hiroyuki Sanata]

My son: Who? Cast additions aren't spoilers.

My son: Unless it's Sean Bean.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
screw spoilers

[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION], was it everything you expected?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Man. I hope this season can keep pushing ahead so strongly, last night's episode seemed to be another winner. There are finally some revelations, too, along the way... and ending with the kicker that I pretty much had expected based on the earlier part of the season. I love that, though.

The whole disparity between host and human memory also keeps getting driven home. It's pretty fascinating. Human memory is laden with emotion and fuzzy -- both a curse and a blessing. Sometimes big picture is better than detail, despite how it loses data and and can result in forgotten memories, at the same time is it really that great to clearly remember things that are painful or destructive? Host memory is exact and clear no matter how much time passes, because of how it's stored ... the details of each moment of memory either exist or don't, rather than being laden with the half-realized impressions of human memory. It means both experience life in very different ways.

Also getting back to Ford for a moment:

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

White Raven
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I felt like there was a lot of references to Christian iconography in this episode, and I wondered why (perhaps it was a coincidence), but the bit at the end, especially the way you put, it makes sense.

referencing sumurai world

I didn't know about westerns influencing samurai movies, I thought the influence pretty much flowed in one direction. Shakespeare (at least for Kurusawa) -> samurai/Japanese -> western. But admittedly, the little I know about it is because I just really like Kurasawa. (Reminder: Star Wars is loosely based on one of Kurasawa's samurai movies too).

Sean Bean meme came up in a text discussion with my son tonight.

Me: You are going to really like one of the cast additions for this season's Westworld. [Hiroyuki Sanata]

My son: Who? Cast additions aren't spoilers.

My son: Unless it's Sean Bean.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I felt like there was a lot of references to Christian iconography in this episode, and I wondered why (perhaps it was a coincidence), but the bit at the end, especially the way you put, it makes sense.

heheh... I didn't really come out and specifically say it because it's so common a theme, but I thought of that as I was typing my last post. So it's cool that you were able to point out other things I didn't even really consider (or in the case of the burning heart didn't even know about).

Beorn

Permabanned
IDK I think the show is getting too complicated for me to follow without binge watching.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IDK I think the show is getting too complicated for me to follow without binge watching.

I think so too. Similar to when the reimagined Battlestar Galactica try to explore more in Season 3. I hope, that this little bit that they are showed, worlds, was enough and not to add more characters. I never understood why Westworld was considered the main world, or why everything started in Westworld. I guess they will expand more on this later.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Finally caught up, the show is a bit predictable at this point or I’m just getting better at how things turn out.

It’s becoming kind of cheesy. But I was really impressed with the ending of season 1

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finally caught up, the show is a bit predictable at this point or I’m just getting better at how things turn out.

It’s becoming kind of cheesy. But I was really impressed with the ending of season 1

I'm waiting to see who is right, Ford, where he says machines are just machines, or when Arnold/Bernard said they are more than that and achieving consciences is real.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm waiting to see who is right, Ford, where he says machines are just machines, or when Arnold/Bernard said they are more than that and achieving consciences is real.
Something tells me they’ll leave it up to the viewer :|

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something tells me they’ll leave it up to the viewer :|

Yeah i guess the whole theme is based on, if you can't tell, does it matter.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

White Raven
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
heheh... I didn't really come out and specifically say it because it's so common a theme, but I thought of that as I was typing my last post. So it's cool that you were able to point out other things I didn't even really consider (or in the case of the burning heart didn't even know about).

Yes.... I've seen that in Latin American churches I've visited. For all I know, it might not even be in U.S. Catholic churches; I haven't really been in any of those.

Props for Beethoven's 7th, aka theme from Zardoz

So, judging from the preview, we're going to learn things about the Ghost Nation next week. Cool.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes.... I've seen that in Latin American churches I've visited. For all I know, it might not even be in U.S. Catholic churches; I haven't really been in any of those.

Props for Beethoven's 7th, aka theme from Zardoz

So, judging from the preview, we're going to learn things about the Ghost Nation next week. Cool.

because of

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. It was mysterious, dreamy, smart, strongly thematic and had a somewhat self-contained ending. The second season is a mess IMO.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. It was mysterious, dreamy, smart, strongly thematic and had a somewhat self-contained ending. The second season is a mess IMO.

What makes it a mess for you?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 7 was a huge exposition episode, although a few MORE questions got raised to replace those that were answered. (like, what's the deal with Bernard the Many?)

It's funny how people can have distinctly different experiences.

The second season is definitely not like the first season, although that is not necessarily problematic. It's just thematically and structurally different, to me, with different levels of questions being asked. There's also been a shift in the existential presentation of the two leads (Dolores and Maeve), where Dolores is more a force of nature and someone moving the plotting along rather than explored as deeply and fundamentally as she was in Season 1. But yes, I'd say a more plot-based season altogether so far from the big picture view. We learn how it ends in the opener. But we have no idea how anything got there or what it actually MEANS, hence we're now walking through all the permutations that were taken to reach the ending.

The actors definitely aren't the weak link if there is one, they're all pretty solid and sometimes exquisite. Some really good work being done by them, although it's a shame Talulah Riley didn't get to do a ton this season, aside from this last bit in Episode 7 where she was mesmerizing. Regardless of whether attitudes have shifted about Dolores, Evan Rachel Wood was just stunning in Episode 7 when she is moving between Peter Abernathy and Charlotte Hale. There was too many "convenient interruptions" in this episode unfortunately, as the scenes themselves were unnerving and it felt like the writers ended up just being teases / not having a cajones to actually carry through with something irrevocable... the scenes themselves made my skin crawl, though.