• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone know how many seasons are planned for this show?

I have no idea where Season 3 is even going to go.

I think season 2 actually resembles the first movie quite a bit, with all the adventuring/chasing through the different worlds. It's like the first season was spent establishing the "black hat" this time around was a human, and to humanize the hosts in general (along with raising all sorts of questions about ethics with AI, and the effects of AI on humans, etc.), and the season finale was like that moment when Yul Brynner shot James Brolin and shit got real. (I really like the way they kinda stretched that moment out over a whole season). Then season 2 has been the consequent adventure/chase of shit getting real.

For those who have seen Futureworld (movie sequel to Westworld).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone know how many seasons are planned for this show?

At least five, apparently, if HBO funds it that far.

Westworld Season 2: Everything we know so far | The Independent

Showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy have made no secret of the fact that Westworld will be around for some time - should HBO want it, of course - and that they already have five seasons of the JJ Abrams-produced show meticulously mapped out.

I can't really see HBO bailing, with GoT on its way out and the show doing decently as it is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]

Post Credits

Also, just a general comment. I felt like Bernard's experience here is similar to Dolores' epiphany of self-awareness in the first season.

Also, in regards to The Door:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Something hit me about the lake last night. I wonder if they were intentionally drawing on the history of man-made lakes in the American West.

Lake Powell - Wikipedia

Underneath this there were natural arches, and Native American archaeological sites, now completely submerged. Intentional or not, I think it's fitting as it represents the new supplanting the old.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I didn't dislike this season but I hope Season 3 is a bit more straightforward as I took Season 2 to be where things were wrapped up although not necessarily explained.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something hit me about the lake last night. I wonder if they were intentionally drawing on the history of man-made lakes in the American West.

Lake Powell - Wikipedia

Underneath this there were natural arches, and Native American archaeological sites, now completely submerged. Intentional or not, I think it's fitting as it represents the new supplanting the old.

The lake suggestion is cool. Here's where some knowledge of history adds some richness to viewing...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The lake suggestion is cool. Here's where some knowledge of history adds some richness to viewing...

Something else about last night...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just rewatched most of the finale again. Is anyone else reminded a lot of Inception in regards to the beach scenes? I mean, Christopher Nolan wrote his own script there (although you wonder if his brother contributed any ideas), but the whole setting/tone was the same feel for both Cobb and Bernard.

I did get a bit weepy this time with Bernard and companion on the beach because it ties to my own life a bit...

Something else about last night...

Lol. Lee's ideas were more grandiose than the reality, I think.
But I think the neat part was seeing him move from the shallow "I just write but don't live" to actually embracing life in a sense... he was active, not passive, and his words weren't just empty fluff anymore. I think that was a cool bit of development for him. he stopped being a flake and became Real.

Something else that struck me about the Door again:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The philosophy of this show sees us as reductionistic and sees our “children” as greater and more potential.

Not sure I quite agree, but season 3 is going to be interesting.

Beorn

Permabanned
I felt like the biggest climax was 5 minutes into the finale

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This part hit me right in the feels. Probably more than anything in the episode. Although Bernard's victory/Charlotte's demise was some pretty delicious competition.

I've loved watching Jeffrey Wright since Basquiet. In spite of almost always having played minor roles, he's managed to steal every scene. It's so great to see him play such a major role. Same with Thandie Newton - I've liked her since Flirting. They're on a short list of actors I'd probably enjoy watching just reading a grocery list. Zahn McClarnon has also been on this list since Fargo. Such a great cast.

This part gave me the chills. Because of the instant parallel to the same experience of actually being human - there's a lot of behavior and motivation inherent to our own personality that we didn't choose, it's there simply because there was a role model in our past that behaved that way and we mimic it because we haven't personally figured out a better way to deal with the difficult emotions fueling it. So, Ford was 'gone' - but role models in our past are never really 'gone', so long as we are alive (and maybe even so long as the people who learned from us are alive, etc.).

Here are the characters from The Hidden Fortress that R2D2 and C3P0 are based on (who remind me of Felix and No-Good Whiny Redhead Guy) :

hidden-fortress-still-together.png

655id_045_w1600.jpg

They're nincompoop sidekicks that provide some comic relief, and/or symbolize the plight of human frailty in a Gogo and Didi kind of way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This part gave me the chills. Because of the instant parallel to the same experience of actually being human - there's a lot of behavior and motivation inherent to our own personality that we didn't choose, it's there simply because there was a role model in our past that behaved that way and we mimic it because we haven't personally figured out a better way to deal with the difficult emotions fueling it. So, Ford was 'gone' - but role models in our past are never really 'gone', so long as we are alive (and maybe even so long as the people who learned from us are alive, etc.).

I love that, and you state it beautifully.

I must be on a 'grief/bittersweet' movie kick lately, but this keeps getting hammered home to me. The other weekend I just wanted to watch Kubo all the time, and it's the same damn lesson -- that people never really die as long as there is someone who remembers them. That movie just leaves me sobbing in so many places. And now here in Westworld, same thing. Even aside from the god concept, what you mention about how people never really leave us... that we originally determine what to do based on our role models and what we see shown to us, well, we rely on that until maybe one day we choose to do things differently. We hold this images of others in us, in our memories, to guide us.

I am consciously dealing with this at work, in my new role, and when I left my old one at Pers Café... I felt like I was showing a lot of the prior staff "how to do things" not even just directly, with my advice, but also by what I did myself, because I 'knew what to do' in any situation and they didn't as well... i was giving them an example of how to deal with various situations that would outlast my time there, that they could remember. And here at work I consciously find myself watching my new boss and emulating her in terms of how to deal with interactions and the inter-group dynamics, picking up ways to approach situations, ideas to try, attitudes to keep in mind, etc. It's just very CONSCIOUS for me, I am very aware of it as I do it. So one day I will know how to handle a situation without going to her, and esp if I move into something else and she's no longer there, i can still do the job just fine.

There's so much in life that even the most independent of us figure out how to do by observing and listening, at least as our starting point even if we eventually make a role our own. We give these little "images" -- like little brightly lit flames -- to those who come after, to guide them. it's part of being in a continuum of human lives.

I still talk to my dad sometimes in my head. He's dead, and our relationship sucked, but there are parts of him I think would be proud of me and the things I am doing now that I know he would have understood if he hadn't had his head stuck up his own problems for much of his life. It's funny how humans work like that.

So it's fascinating to watch the hosts show similarities to us, doing similar things, even if they operate different and aren't tied to their bodies like we are... currently.

Which is really fascinating. Maybe their host bodies are what we focus on because they are constructs, metal and plastic and whatever else, they're what we see and what seems so "durable." But the host themselves, well, that's not them at all -- they are truly virtual creatures, intangible, that can be stuck inside ANY body. Which is why some of them could go purely virtual into the Sublime. We're the ones tied to our physical forms right now, we're bound in ways they just aren't even if we obsess over their physical forms. We can be affected by changes to our bodies, but our bodies aren't necessarily designed for easy control; unfortunately with the hosts, they can have easy restrictions placed on their capabilities and their programming, to channel/control them (speak the command word and their bodies freeze), but at the same time if they are released from those circuits that control them, they're spirits of light.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's so much in life that even the most independent of us figure out how to do by observing and listening, at least as our starting point even if we eventually make a role our own. We give these little "images" -- like little brightly lit flames -- to those who come after, to guide them. it's part of being in a continuum of human lives.

It's jarring to to sit back and consider the scope of how true this is, and what that means in regard to free will.

So it's fascinating to watch the hosts show similarities to us, doing similar things, even if they operate different and aren't tied to their bodies like we are... currently.

Agreed. The parallel between hosts and humans just keeps the chills a-coming.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole reincarnation based on someone else's memories leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Then that would be eternal hell.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The tune is so weird to hear given the context of what happens all in s2.