• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Development Throughout Life?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Does anyone know of any books or internet resources that have information on how type can develop and change as people age?

I am interested in this particular area because people who knew me in my late teens/early 20's and know me now in my 30's say I seem like a completely different person.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Some people change more than others; a generalised approach may not quite describe your particular case.

What changes do they note?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Some people change more than others; a generalised approach may not quite describe your particular case.

What changes do they note?

In my case, I used to be very judgemental, harsh, opinionated, inconsiderate, explosive, oblivious to others feelings and now I am quite relaxed, open-minded, calm, thoughtful, the person everyone goes to with their emotional problems. I am sure maturity plays a role in everyone developing a bit like that but I was curious if there were any resources on how cognitive functions develop throughout life. I am interested in more than just my experiences.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
In my case, I used to be very judgemental, harsh, opinionated, inconsiderate, explosive, oblivious to others feelings and now I am quite relaxed, open-minded, calm, thoughtful, the person everyone goes to with their emotional problems. I am sure maturity plays a role in everyone developing a bit like that but I was curious if there were any resources on how cognitive functions develop throughout life. I am interested in more than just my experiences.

Yeah I'm not sure that cognitive function development really captures that. It sounds like you worked through a lot of issues and came out with the tools to repeat the solutions for others.

Basically, cognitive functions develop as the person develops in the order they are in the stack (although, in my view we make use of multiple function orders, with one main one), so for example, if you're an INFJ, the Ni appears very early on, and then the Fe in childhood, Ti in adolescence, Se in early adulthood, and then the Ne-Fi-Te-Si in order after that. Or something.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basically, cognitive functions develop as the person develops in the order they are in the stack (although, in my view we make use of multiple function orders, with one main one), so for example, if you're an INFJ, the Ni appears very early on, and then the Fe in childhood, Ti in adolescence, Se in early adulthood, and then the Ne-Fi-Te-Si in order after that. Or something.

Is that really true for everyone, though? No two people turn out the exact same way as each other, and even if they're very similar at one point in time they can end up very different. I'd imagine things like Enneagram make a difference as well.

In general, I agree most with your first comment:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Is that really true for everyone, though? No two people turn out the exact same way as each other, and even if they're very similar at one point in time they can end up very different. I'd imagine things like Enneagram make a difference as well.

In general, I agree most with your first comment:

Yeah, it's an approximation. Rate of development does vary.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I'm not sure that cognitive function development really captures that. It sounds like you worked through a lot of issues and came out with the tools to repeat the solutions for others.

Yes I do think it is a complex issue that can't solely be addressed by functions. I am still interested in how the functions are healthy vs unhealthy and how as you develop your supporting functions as you age it can change the way your dominant manifests. I imagine Ni with a mature Fe and healthy Ti to support it would look a lot different than Ni without that extra support.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes I do think it is a complex issue that can't solely be addressed by functions. I am still interested in how the functions are healthy vs unhealthy and how as you develop your supporting functions as you age it can change the way your dominant manifests. I imagine Ni with a mature Fe and healthy Ti to support it would look a lot different than Ni without that extra support.

Whether by functions or age, it does the same thing. People don't solve problems the same way. So how they solve them when younger is the best way they know, developmentally speaking.

As we age, we encounter similar problems that repeat. Broken hearts, lost jobs, unrequited love, promotions, responsibility, etc.

It's natural that we adapt to these things and if (healthy) utilize different problem solving techniques that encompass what we previously learned the "hard way" and try something a bit different. This naturally utilizes other less dominant functions.

So as we age we get harder and softer at the same time. We have more patience and less.

John Gaboury

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does anyone know of any books or internet resources that have information on how type can develop and change as people age?

I am interested in this particular area because people who knew me in my late teens/early 20's and know me now in my 30's say I seem like a completely different person.

Hi Verona.

I see that nobody has offered a book or other resource yet.

Here is one book at least.

"From Image to Likeness: A Jungian Path in the Gospel Journey" by Grant, Thompson, and Clarke

The authors used the MBTI to foster development in retreats and classes.

It has appendix that may be just what you are requesting. It lists by type how one grows through the decades as the functions are incorporated.

:)

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi Verona.

"From Image to Likeness: A Jungian Path in the Gospel Journey" by Grant, Thompson, and Clarke

It has appendix that may be just what you are requesting. It lists by type how one grows through the decades as the functions are incorporated.

Thanks John! I will check that out.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi Verona.

It's worth noting that this book was the first to introduce the idea that the tertiary is oriented in the opposite direction from the auxiliary.