• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Top favorite star wars movie

Eastwood

I just finished my two week marathon where I took the time to watch every star wars movie.

I thought it be fun to review peoples top favorites and why..... I just want to first warn you about my list.... I don't care for popular belief.

My top favorite star wars movies of all time, ranked first to last;

1. The Last Jedi

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Force Awakens

4. Rogue One

5. Revenge Of The Sith

6. Attack Of The Clones

7. Solo

8. A New Hope

9. Return Of The Jedi

10. The Phantom Menace

(Side note, I don't agree with all the negative hype over The Last Jedi. I thought it was a flawless movie. I just wish people would come up with their own observations instead of bashing a movie that was regarded as the best movie since Empire Strikes Back. But for some reason social media destroyed the minds of star wars fans, shortly after a positive press release showing.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No way Solo is better than ANH. Facts. There were things I liked about it, but what didn't work for me was the way they shoehorned almost everything mentioned or known about the character all at once. Emblematic of this is how the Millennium Falcon goes from looking shiny new to exactly how we saw it in ANH within a few days. It feels like they couldn't trust the audience to see a few more dings and scratches and assume that eventually it would look more like the Falcon we know.

The casting, however, does actually work for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it be fun to review peoples top favorites and why.....

I don't see a "why" so I won't bother with that either.

I just want to first warn you about my list.... I don't care for popular belief.

That's nice. Why would you? Why would anyone? (Of course, later you go on about how your viewpoint has to be correct because it aligns with the popular critic demographic belief. Whatever, man.)

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Rogue One

3. Force Awakens

4. Revenge Of The Sith

5. A New Hope

6. The Last Jedi

7. Return Of The Jedi

8. Solo

9. Attack Of The Clones

10. The Phantom Menace

11. Star Wars Christmas Special

Of course, if there ever was a movie about Chewbacca teaching people how to cook fine wookie cuisine, that would be near the top of my list.

I thought it was a flawless movie. I just wish people would come up with their own observations instead of bashing a movie that was regarded as the best movie since Empire Strikes Back. But for some reason social media destroyed the minds of star wars fans, shortly after a positive press release showing.)

Amazing. Almost every word of what you just said was wrong.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, I talk about this enough to justify me making this post:

1. A New Hope
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. The Last Jed
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Rogue One
  6. Solo
  7. The Force Awakens
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Revenge of the Sith
  10. Attack of the Clones

I liked Return of the Jedi more than Empire Strikes Back when I was younger, but in retrospect the Ewoks are a little lame. It would probably be ok if it wasn't what was supposed to be (at the time) the climatic battle of the series.

I really like the different planets and ships and so forth in Solo and thought it was more interesting than what TFA offered us in that department. I also thought the actors chosen for young Lando and Han were pretty good (and in fact, I'd like to see more of Donald Glover in that role), as well as seeing a wider-eyed version of Han Solo. But it also suffered from some of the things the plagued the prequels.

I put TPM at the top of the prequels because it has an exuberance to it that makes it better than the other two. I feel like George probably enjoyed making that one more than the other two; there's much more in the way of enthusiasm and I think that helps it quite a bit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am definitely torn between whether the stupid phantom menace with the stellar Darth Maul fight beats the insipid and creepster AotC with the always worthwhile Christopher Lee. It is such a hard call.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rogue One (really a tie with Empire)
Empire
Return of the Jedi
New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
The Holiday Special (only with rifftrax commentary)
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Ewok movies
Holiday Special without rifftrack

Honestly I could say my top 4 are about a 4 way tie

My rankings may change as time passes and I rewatch the newer ones some more.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am definitely torn between whether the stupid phantom menace with the stellar Darth Maul fight beats the insipid and creepster AotC with the always worthwhile Christopher Lee. It is such a hard call.

For me, attack loses because it’s just so boring and doesn’t know what type of film it wants to be. Plus the dialogue between Natalie and Hayden is just so bad and the chemistry isn’t there. Lee can’t save it, though he is one of the few memorable parts.

Phantom is terrible but at least it is a modicum more entertaining.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I rewatched parts of Rogue One last night. I enjoyed the film on first viewing, but each repeated viewing actually makes me like it more -- I think because it's more honest about what it means to be a rebel and what the stakes entail. Too much of the Star Wars world is too glossy morally and relationally, Rogue One is willing to deal more with ambiguity and mess and in the process better exemplify what sacrifice and perseverance means.

How is Battle for Endor or Caravan of Courage getting no love

Now we're to the next level.

tumblr_m2st0mGq511qmr54yo1_500.jpg

For me, attack loses because it’s just so boring and doesn’t know what type of film it wants to be. Plus the dialogue between Natalie and Hayden is just so bad and the chemistry isn’t there. Lee can’t save it, though he is one of the few memorable parts.

Phantom is terrible but at least it is a modicum more entertaining.

Phantom did do a remarkable job casting Kiera Knightly as Natalie Portman's ringer. They're really hard to tell apart.

The dialogue in both films just kills me, though. Vague socio-econo-political word salad at best.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a lot of fun. Ranking fave Star Wars is like ranking Bond films. Regardless of any objective criteria for what makes a film great or not, it’s fun to see how different people rank them. There’s always that person who holds Moonraker in high esteem

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now we're to the next level.

tumblr_m2st0mGq511qmr54yo1_500.jpg

Phantom did do a remarkable job casting Kiera Knightly as Natalie Portman's ringer. They're really hard to tell apart.

The dialogue in both films just kills me, though. Vague socio-econo-political word salad at best.

The New Hope dialogue would have been equally bad had he not had some friends help him humanize the lines a bit

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a lot of fun. Ranking fave Star Wars is like ranking Bond films. Regardless of any objective criteria for what makes a film great or not, it’s fun to see how different people rank them. There’s always that person who holds Moonraker in high esteem

hell yeah

Jaws ("Love is in the air!") for the win.
Drax is endearingly fussy, even when he's feeding girlfriends to the dogs.

The New Hope dialogue would have been equally bad had he not had some friends help him humanize the lines a bit

Is that what happened?

I have always wondered how Lucas managed to smooth out the dialogue (which is never DEEP, but actually banters enjoyably well).

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

It actually plugged me back into the franchise. That being said it's a far cry from being as good as the Young Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispen. which tied in with the old Han Solo Adventures and the Lando Calrissian Adventures. I've always preffered the books from the old EU to the movies, I think because I enjoyed how it made the galaxy feel real. My favorite Star Wars stuff has always been the things like the Tales from series, espeically Tales from Jaba's Palace. I'd figuratively kill for a streaming series that takes place in the SW galaxy but only touches the well known characters from occasional hear say. Probably a side effect of liking Westerns The idea of slices of life across the fronteir. I like a lot of the characters that the trilogy movies seem content to throw away. Like Why couldnt I have a full three seasons of the 7 Samurai from Rogue One? why did they all have to get wiped out in one movie to "whet our appetites" for more trilogy shoehorn stories?

What makes Star Wars Star wars for me is the aesthetics not the specific plots and characters. It's a big ass galexy with literal magic woven into the fabric of reality. Can we please stop focusing on the same damned handful of characters? I want to see Imperial Officers with conscience. I want to see the Empire for what it is. A functioning government made up of people. I want to see the Rebellion as Terrorists who have to make heartbreaking choices because this is a war of ideology with lots of grey areas.

There is by and large no moral ambiguity in SW and it feels so offputting. It feels like a lie. I want Jedi and Sith to be two denominations in the same force based religion. Fuck the rule of two: That's lazy writing. Fuck the jedi purge. So is that.

The Sith and the Jedi should be portrayed as two sides of the same coin and they should both still be around. There should be JEdi and Sith in the Empire, in the rebellion working as bounty hunters etc. And they need to get real with the Droids. They need to explore the fact that someone programmed these sentient machines with the constantly glossed over fact that they can feel pain and fear, and yet everyone has license to wipe their memories and dismember them at a whim.

In this time of grit and horror. I don't think it should be too much to ask for to get something like this. It's not like there's a need for continuity and a strict cannon anymore. :shrug:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
hell yeah

Is that what happened?

I have always wondered how Lucas managed to smooth out the dialogue (which is never DEEP, but actually banters enjoyably well).

Pretty sure his ex wife played a bigger role in making the OT more of what it was as opposed to what GL likely wanted. Without her, pretty sure we would have gotten an OT that watched like the Prequils and we'd have been lucky to get past one movie with Annakin Starkiller and Co.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Holiday Special has some value. It adds some unique elements to the lore like Boba Fett and Wookiee cultural traditions and builds the universe with some excruciatingly campy “slice of life” moments. It also shows us Luke’s pastime of wearing ladies makeup

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hell yeah

Is that what happened?

Yeah, Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz. They were responsible for a lot of the more humorous bits of dialogue

I forget if they were responsible for “I got a bad feeling about this”

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It actually plugged me back into the franchise. That being said it's a far cry from being as good as the Young Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispen. which tied in with the old Han Solo Adventures and the Lando Calrissian Adventures. I've always preffered the books from the old EU to the movies, I think because I enjoyed how it made the galaxy feel real. My favorite Star Wars stuff has always been the things like the Tales from series, espeically Tales from Jaba's Palace. I'd figuratively kill for a streaming series that takes place in the SW galaxy but only touches the well known characters from occasional hear say. Probably a side effect of liking Westerns The idea of slices of life across the fronteir. I like a lot of the characters that the trilogy movies seem content to throw away. Like Why couldnt I have a full three seasons of the 7 Samurai from Rogue One? why did they all have to get wiped out in one movie to "whet our appetites" for more trilogy shoehorn stories?

Probably because they were already dead in the continuity -- but yeah, I enjoyed them. I would follow Cassian and Jyn Erso anywhere, along with their ragtag crew. They felt refreshingly honest (even to the degree of being besmirched), and full of candor, and they were the only ones really able to embrace what it meant to be a rebel. It became apparent that most of the rebel forces were just playing at being rebellious.

What makes Star Wars Star wars for me is the aesthetics not the specific plots and characters. It's a big ass galexy with literal magic woven into the fabric of reality. Can we please stop focusing on the same damned handful of characters? I want to see Imperial Officers with conscience. I want to see the Empire for what it is. A functioning government made up of people. I want to see the Rebellion as Terrorists who have to make heartbreaking choices because this is a war of ideology with lots of grey areas.

I think it is because the entire franchise (film) is so stinking "high level" that EVERYTHING is glossed over. I touched on this in another thread, anything on the broad level is so glossy and generalized -- "The First Order rules everything" without any explanations as to how, for example. Or take George's silly political and economics commentary which is both boring and silly. The films don't seem to care about the day to day practicalities of actual life and individual trials and involvement, it sits so high in its concepts that awareness of the details is lost.

Compare that to the first four seasons of game of Thrones which took a very slow pace but really cared about the detail level of interactions among the characters and even cultural forces.

There is by and large no moral ambiguity in SW and it feels so offputting. It feels like a lie. I want Jedi and Sith to be two denominations in the same force based religion. Fuck the rule of two: That's lazy writing. Fuck the jedi purge. So is that.

The Sith and the Jedi should be portrayed as two sides of the same coin and they should both still be around. There should be JEdi and Sith in the Empire, in the rebellion working as bounty hunters etc.

definitely.

And they need to get real with the Droids. They need to explore the fact that someone programmed these sentient machines with the constantly glossed over fact that they can feel pain and fear, and yet everyone has license to wipe their memories and dismember them at a whim.

Yup. But those are not the stories they want to tell. Droids are basically cute side-dressing, not Westworld creations struggling for autonomy and awareness and freedom from their irrational human creators.

In this time of grit and horror. I don't think it should be too much to ask for to get something like this. It's not like there's a need for continuity and a strict cannon anymore. :shrug:

I am hoping the move away from trilogies will allow room for more one-shot films that can explore deeper concepts (deep dive) set in the Star Wars mythos. I know I keep harping on the game franchises, but I'm serious that the storylines in the videogames are far more thoughtful and real.

I think Holiday Special has some value. It adds some unique elements to the lore like Boba Fett and Wookiee cultural traditions and builds the universe with some excruciatingly campy “slice of life” moments. It also shows us Luke’s pastime of wearing ladies makeup

No wonder he grew up to be such a crankypuss.