• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Too Skinny?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Recently I upped my training--a lot, which is one of the reasons I've been so scarce on here. It's hard to be online while you're kicking a bag or practicing with a steel whip in your spare time.

As a result, I dropped from about 21% body fat to about 18%.

And nearly everyday somebody now comments that I am too "skinny."

Yet, I look in the mirror and think my body looks amazing. I love what I see. I'm happy with it. I love seeing the toned muscles in my arms and I love seeing the definition in my abs and hips. I love how I look in my clothes [especially jeans] and I totally rock a bikini. I just want to keep this body for as long as I possibly can. Yet, when I go out, someone inevitably says, "You're too skinny."

Do they not see what I see?

Anyway, I normally don't talk about my height, weight and measurements but for the sake of this discussion I will. I am 5'2" and weigh around 110-112 lbs. I have an hour glass figure with measurements being 35-24-35. According the health/weight charts, I'm ideal. I have a perfect hip-waist ratio, a fantastic BMI and an athletic body fat percentage; I literally have the measurements of a movie star now. So, what gives?

Why do people constantly talk about having a "fit" body and then when I get one, those same people tell me that I look "thin" "sick" and "frail." I'm none of those things. I'm strong, agile and fast. Some people even want to know what I'm trying to prove by being so serious about the martial arts. I tell them that I love what I do and I'm not trying to prove anything. I run a martial arts school. Shouldn't I look the part? It seems like people should be glad for someone when that person achieves a fitness goal, but often, they're not. Maybe strangers are but the people you know often seem upset that you attain a goal and then they say that they're worried about you.

Anyway, I don't want to dismiss their concerns but I really don't like how everybody keeps trying to fatten me up. There's nothing wrong with me, is there? I just wanted to vent, so I thought I'd vent on here amongst strangers. haha.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, some people DO have different tastes to be fair...though most of them are probably just jealous.

Source: I'm a fat, jealous bitch.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
freshman year of college I was a good bit thinner than I am now, but I was in good shape... I ran and hiked a lot instead of hauling around heavy things and dragging stuff. I was healthy and I ate super healthy (more so than now!) but I still remember that any time my roommate would catch a glimpse of my body she'd shake her head and say something along the lines of "you're too skinny... I can see your hipbones and that's disgusting."

at first I was kind of horrified at the idea that she might be right, and then I reminded myself that she was out of shape enough that she had to pause on the stairs climbing to our second story room every time she took them, and in a really catty way I TOTALLY felt better about that :laugh:

people will ALWAYS body shame each other, no matter what shape you are in... I think that jealousy is a major factor in that and some desire to hold the upper hand socially. As long as you are healthy and you are comfortable in your own skin that's all that you can really ask for :shrug:

and good for you, hitting your goals like that!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Given your height and weight and measurements, you don't sound too skinny at all imo. :shrug:

I think the most important part is that YOU are happy with how you look, you are healthy and fit (sounds like you are!!!), and you're still eating well. As long as all of that's in check, I don't see anything wrong with what you describe.

I'm 'tiny' according to many of my coworkers, but I eat well, and I'm just fairly fit / prioritize that. We're all built differently; and in this day and age, thin/fit may seem 'too skinny'. Just be happy with who you are. :)

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sort of the opposite of you. I'm 5'11 and over the past year and a half, have gone from 126 to 140 lbs. I don't think I look thin anymore but people still like to try and make me eat more. :shrug: As long as your weight loss is helping you in terms of having more energy and being able to do more, and not hindering you, then I don't see the problem.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jealousy.

You sound pretty ideal :D. Most people are not. Even the movie stars are artificially thin, doing special regimes and training.

If you are happy with how you look, screw everyone else and their worthless opinion. They don't matter. You do. It is your body and your life.

Next time you hear a comment, just respond, you just wish you could look like me.... with a huge :smile:

You earned that body. Enjoy it.

I remember hitting my lowest adult weight about 12 years ago. 10+ hours a week plus a good diet really worked. And yet every one asked if I was sick, haha.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To actually address your question
Why do people constantly talk about having a "fit" body and then when I get one, those same people tell me that I look "thin" "sick" and "frail." I'm none of those things. I'm strong, agile and fast.
As others have said, some of it might be jealousy, but moreso here in most parts of America being fit means standing out, thus compared to most you might look 'too skinny'. When I still lived in MN, I got skinny comments much more than I do here in Colorado, where there's a much higher % of people my age who are into exercising and staying healthy. (and MN isn't even as extreme as some states, such as in the south -- where I'd totally stand out, % wise at least)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't imagine what it would be like to have that problem. Anyway, you sound fine.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you have a skinny face? Like very defined cheek and jaw bones that people might look at them and think you should put on more weight?
Anyway I think you're doing better in taking care of yourself than most of them.. so you're in the right path!

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I thought you were muscular like the girl in your avatar.

I am. 😃 I chose that avi because she resembles me body, coloring and hair-wise. Plus, she fights with sticks.

[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]you are so awesome! [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION], thanks.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tell them to stop projecting their beauty standards on you. You sound happy and healthy. Other people's preferences for body composition or amount of fat have nothing to do with your body.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] this is a great comeback
Next time you hear a comment, just respond, you just wish you could look like me.... with a huge

Thanks!
[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] I DO live in the south. So, I hadn't considered this....
As others have said, some of it might be jealousy, but moreso here in most parts of America being fit means standing out, thus compared to most you might look 'too skinny'. When I still lived in MN, I got skinny comments much more than I do here in Colorado, where there's a much higher % of people my age who are into exercising and staying healthy. (and MN isn't even as extreme as some states, such as in the south -- where I'd totally stand out, % wise at least)[\QUOTE]

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Do you have a skinny face? Like very defined cheek and jaw bones that people might look at them and think you should put on more weight?
Anyway I think you're doing better in taking care of yourself than most of them.. so you're in the right path!

I do have a thin face, prominent cheekbones and jawline. And thank you.

Oh [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] that's too drastic. I justvwant to blow off steam, not sell my house. Hehe

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
jealousy :shrug: not sure tbh people are strange. your 1 mm under there standard of healthy you're anorexic your 1 mm over your fat. theres no winning tell them to give them your sandwhich since they don't need as much as you obviously.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I pow wowed with two other slender women recently about "thin shaming", and of course we all felt it was due to distortion of what normal is (ie. in the US, normal is fat) and plain ol' jealousy. One friend noted that someone stopped asking her why she was so skinny when she shot back with, "Why are you so fat?".

I am not even as thin as I once a was (was about 117 lbs at 5'7 for years, now more like 125 lbs), but I still get occasional comments. The remarks used to be really frequent and far more insulting though, but I let it roll off. I looked at them, with their excess fat, poor flexibility, and limited clothing options and saw right through their "concern".

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
jealousy :shrug: not sure tbh people are strange. your 1 mm under there standard of healthy you're anorexic your 1 mm over your fat. theres no winning tell them to give them your sandwhich since they don't need as much as you obviously.

Lol! You're absolutely right! I have had the anorexic word tossed at me, but I totally am not! And my friend, 1mm over, hears the "fat" word. Both words are over used.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Lol! You're absolutely right! I have had the anorexic word tossed at me, but I totally am not! And my friend, 1mm over, hears the "fat" word. Both words are over used.

i'm skinny i've had chunky girls get really bitchy at me for no reason except maybe they think because i'm thin i don't have problems i'm usually pretty good at keeping my mouth shut even though i want to be like look here, bitch go fuck yourself.