• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on typism?

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are your thoughts on typism? Do you think it's okay to make judgements about a person based on their type? Would you consider it a form of discrimination?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
While there are certinally certian patterns of behaviour in certain types I think to make a wide statement while it can serve as a good internal guide to deal with people of said types (Like its okay to think inside shes a 8w7 ill try to walk on egg shells around them or they are a 3w2 Ill need to validate their ego) it shouldn't cause you to make snap judgements on a person and if you write out a person based on their typing then you are effectively being typist. Its like say hmmm judging cars. Hmmm certain models will have certain trends of traits but however there will be presented differently so to speak.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Making some assumptions about people based on type is somewhat the foundation of MBTI theory in the first place. I've noticed the main problem occurs when someone defines a type based primarily on a specific individual they know who made an impression on them, and so they transfer that person's attributes to everyone else labeled with the same type. That will definitely lead to incorrect assumptions, and so should be discouraged.

It is difficult to define types generally enough to be relevant to all the people within the category, but still specific enough to make each category unique. It is a difficult problem to try to categorize human beings because the individual variations work against it to some degree.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to have an account on PerC and I faced a lot of typeism. I identified as a sensing type for a while and the way I was treated seemed different than how I was when I identified as an INFP. It gets annoying because I didn't change anything about myself. I'm just who I've always been. So yes, it seems unfair to me that an S would be treated differently than an N or that a T would be treated differently than an F.

Some things people have told me:

"I don't need a feeler telling me to be nice"

"What have you got to complain about? You're an SJ"

That was the weirdest part tho. I made a post about how I felt different and misunderstood and someone told me that. It made me wonder if SJs don't have the right to feel misunderstood?

Yes typeism is bad.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Making some assumptions about people based on type is somewhat the foundation of MBTI theory in the first place. I've noticed the main problem occurs when someone defines a type based primarily on a specific individual they know who made an impression on them, and so they transfer that person's attributes to everyone else labeled with the same type. That will definitely lead to incorrect assumptions, and so should be discouraged.

It is difficult to define types generally enough to be relevant to all the people within the category, but still specific enough to make each category unique. It is a difficult problem to try to categorize human beings because the individual variations work against it to some degree.

this is the exact reason why i said no. because it's 9 out of 10 times negative and often not true for that indivdual.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any form of ism will be met with scorn and disgust by me since I truly do believe that life is exciting by the variety of different personalities coming together and offering their unique perspectives on the topics of life. It would be a shame for me to reject those who are of a different type than myself since that would mean cutting out some wonderful opportunities to learn and to grow as a person, by getting to know their worldviews and opinions that I haven't even thought of in the first place. That said, it is only human nature to judge those who seem unlike ourselves, but it takes true intelligence to break through the first impression and to see what they have to offer.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is the exact reason why i said no. because it's 9 out of 10 times negative and often not true for that indivdual.

Any form of ism will be met with scorn and disgust by me since I truly do believe that life is exciting by the variety of different personalities coming together and offering their unique perspectives on the topics of life. It would be a shame for me to reject those who are of a different type than myself since that would mean cutting out some wonderful opportunities to learn and to grow as a person, by getting to know their worldviews and opinions that I haven't even thought of in the first place. That said, it is only human nature to judge those who seem unlike ourselves, but it takes true intelligence to break through the first impression and to see what they have to offer.
Good thoughts!
Perhaps a lot of it is simply that it is better to ask people who they are, rather than telling them who they are. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Good thoughts!
Perhaps a lot of it is simply that it is better to ask people who they are, rather than telling them who they are. :)

exactly because when you tell people who they are they get trapped and they read false assumptions into what they do. and the person typisming them often puts words in their mouth and the conversation goes no where, it can be used as a form of manipulation and shut the other person down which has happened to me on here in the past which is why i think it's negative.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to have an account on PerC and I faced a lot of typeism. I identified as a sensing type for a while and the way I was treated seemed different than how I was when I identified as an INFP. It gets annoying because I didn't change anything about myself. I'm just who I've always been. So yes, it seems unfair to me that an S would be treated differently than an N or that a T would be treated differently than an F.

Yeah, typism seems to be more prevalent in PerC than the community here, from what I've seen.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
exactly because when you tell people who they are they get trapped and they read false assumptions into what they do. and the person typisming them often puts words in their mouth and the conversation goes no where, it can be used as a form of manipulation and shut the other person down which has happened to me on here in the past which is why i think it's negative.
The twisted word games are pure head trauma in any context.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Doesn't bother me at all, usually gives me the LOLOLOLOLOLOLS:D Especially when I come across a type me thread, or a thread with a questionnaire and some Einstein comes along with answers like this. I can tell by the way your eyes are shaped you must be an INFJ ROFLMFAO. That and I know by the way you XXX, and XXX you have to use this function, or that function. Considering they have never met in reality, they didn't have more than 1 minute conversation, and are allowing words and sentencing to define their whole being, holy fuck that shit is super funny. I don't know who is more unintelligent, the one asking or the one responding. I can get behind those who ask about particular functions, but please if you are an Fe user, don't try and pin down Fi or any other functions that you don't use as if you are the master at typing people. Nothing is worse than a Ti user assuring a Te user why they do what they do, and how, UGGG. Anywho, carry on as if your normal rofl.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What are your thoughts on typism? Do you think it's okay to make judgements about a person based on their type? Would you consider it a form of discrimination?

Any time you apply labels to people you open the opportunity to categorization, separating, and doing as you please. If you like a category of people, you'll raise them up. Dislike them, push them down. Sure it's easy to say, well shoot, let's just not have labels and categories of people, but that seems to go against man's natural tendencies doesn't it? To want to categorize the world around them, to better understand it so that they may pass judgement on it, whether that may be human, object, animal, whatever else. Categorizing gives us a frame of reference to work from, a neutral place if you will, to then leap towards other opportunities. So what are you left with really then? A situation you cannot change, but one that you CAN decide not to allow control over you. I may joke about type stereotypes here and there, and to some, that may be bothering, but that's because I don't take them seriously at all. Perhaps I should, but I think once I find myself stressing over the seriousness of personality typing, is when I've fallen into the thinking that personality types has more truth and more of a hold over my being than I am willing to give it. I only allow things true to my understanding, through my perspective, the seriousness it deserves.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Good thoughts!

Ugh, that's the worst! I can't stand it when someone tells me who I am or how I should feel, all just so I can better fit into the box they've already put me in.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
It's not any form of systematic discrimination per se, though within a community it gets old really fast. It's not like the biggest problem I have in life or anything, it's just... really dumb, generally has no positive results to it, and so on and so forth.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, typism seems to be more prevalent in PerC than the community here, from what I've seen.

I made an account on PerC outta curiosity as I saw people talking about had bad it is and I found on there that stereotypes are abound. For example I swear half the people there have no idea what functions are and rely on stereotypes to type people like if you are nice you are a feeler and so on. Thats why stereotypes are abound htere as its like the people have some idea but at the same time zero idea what they are talking about and thats a niche open to misinformation being spread. As you can guess I noped it outta there very quickly :D and a wise choice I made. I may go back just for curiosity. Ennegram was even worse as there was many who typed based on stereotypes again like if your combative you are a counter phobic 6 or an 8 or if you are nice you are a 2 or 9 when ennea is all about digging deep.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
This happens to me all the time here. It's okay though, it doesn't bother me anymore because my soul is mostly dead now :happy2: