• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] SJ training advice (for NPs)

S

Society

I am interested in ways to engage my inferiot Si and/or figure out the ways in which i already engage it. any advice?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Non-SJ advice:

Isnt one of the ways to strengthen your inferior functions by strengthening your secondary function according to the theory? I know my Te buffed up when I developed Fi further, at least somewhat...:thinking:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

White Raven
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Excellent thread idea. I'm looking for the same. One thing I've started doing is just thinking of pleasant memories from my past. I suppose the next step is looking for ways to incorporate those memories in my current life.

It's actually my understanding that, because it his the same orientation as my dominant, Si will actually be more conscious than Ne. It stands to reason that it might actually be easier to work on Si than Ne.

Of course, for you two, Si is actually your inferior function, so that's a different story.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but one of my favorite sayings is "learn the rules so you can break them". I think Si could be very valuable in that for an Ne-dom; you guys are all about innovation, but Si can help you know what ground has already been broken, and what ground NEEDS to be broken. My ENFP best friend is very good at this, and I admire her for it; it gives her a sense of purpose that concentrates her usual scatterbrained-ness into something more focused and powerful.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Non-SJ advice:

Isnt one of the ways to strengthen your inferior functions by strengthening your secondary function according to the theory? I know my Te buffed up when I developed Fi further, at least somewhat...:thinking:
Oh sounds like a good idea- I hadn't thought of that! But yet it's so obvious.

Although I don't think either Fe or Si has been developed that way for me...it seems like I have to consciously focus attention on them. Like they're developed in a certain way which is in service to the higher functions, but not in a way in which it would be like using them by themselves- which is what really needs work.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's what I've done for Si:
I think maybe Se is short term memory and Si is long term memory, but I'm not sure. My long term memory is ok.

Getting into a routine is hard, and getting out of a routine is hard. I park in the same places, so then I can always find the car (actually I always can anyway, it's just easy if I don't have to think about it). I study at the same time in the same place every day, with some variation (like in the library, but in one of several places in it). I've worked into my schedule doing laundry and watering the plants on Sundays. In these ways I've been able to keep a routine for awhile. In the past I've been pretty terrible at it. I keep a planner with all my major obligations and all my assignments, and write down reminders for everything I have to do. Writing things down helps a lot. If I didn't I'd be useless.

Paying attention to my body has been a bit of a challenge, but it's worth it. It just takes a continued effort, kind of like meditation. It helps me be aware of my emotions and general well-being; also making an effort to exercise helps a lot.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is my experience with Si issues. What things do you have difficulty with?

S

Society

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is my experience with Si issues. What things do you have difficulty with?
I suppose I do have a difficulty in keeping myself on the rails, making repetitve activities I want into lasting habits.

But in the larger sense, I have being interested in the prospects of using mbti as a guide line for personal development I have noticed the healthier NJs seem to be the ones to ingage their inferior Se, often with arts and crafts or hiking etc, and I suspect the same should be true for NPs with Si. I was hoping to get some ideas on what activities might be the Si equivilent.

S

Society

One example from my own life might be cooking:
While I do experiment, mostly its repeating or mixing existing recepies from my head, probably one of the most repetitve activties I am able to enjoy.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose I do have a difficulty in keeping myself on the rails, making repetitve activities I want into lasting habits.

But in the larger sense, I have being interested in the prospects of using mbti as a guide line for personal development I have noticed the healthier NJs seem to be the ones to ingage their inferior Se, often with arts and crafts or hiking etc, and I suspect the same should be true for NPs with Si. I was hoping to get some ideas on what activities might be the Si equivilent.

Yes, I have always thought the healthiest and best functioning people develop all their functions. I'm not perfect with the first four, but they are adequate; what I really have trouble with is the shadow functions, so I've been working on those for a bit. Especially Te, Se, and Fi. I see what you mean about Si. I'd say anything which is meditative, repetitive, gets you absorbed and "in the zone" in a way which involves the physical is excellent for Si; engaging your body so then your mind can drift in an unfocused way. As I may have mentioned, exercise I think is the best. It's basic, anyone can do it, and it's healthy. It benefits both Se and Si. You probably don't want to do this because you're a guy (although males do), but modeling for artists I have found engages my Si this way. Sitting still in a mentally active and creative environment, under lights, focusing on my body in how it is positioned and what it is experiencing actually inhibits my Ti and just gives Ne and Fe free reign. I guess the equivalent for someone who doesn't want to be naked in front of strangers is to do physical yoga- that could do the same thing if you do it the right way.

pyriticsilence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si is not memories, per se, so it might be best to do away with that notion. It's impressions based upon recognition of a situation or an object, like, "I've been in a situation like this before" and then "It ended poorly."