• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I think Eddington is butt hurt after not getting a promotion, and that's why he did it.
I dunno. He was a romantic, I find it hard to believe that one missed promotion would have been enough for him to throw it all away. If this show came out today we'd have gotten some flashbacks of his road down the rabbit hole. Eddington didnt really get butthurt acting until after he got caught. Sometimes I wonder if he was Maquis by the time he got to the station, and that(and not the show wanting to shake up the story line with a surprise betrayal as was the style in the 90's) is why he seemed to be so johnny on the spot with some characters and offputting to others, I note he spends very little time around Garak or Bashir or Quark the only reason he cozens up to odo is he needs to be the Starfleet security chief on the station to spy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
by his own admission, Eddington was obsessed with rank and title. When Starfleet didn’t pan out for him and his career had stalled (or at least not advanced as quickly as he would have liked), he saw an opportunity to reinvent and make a name for himself as a leader in the maquis. I don’t believe he was ever a true team player for either organization. His primary concern was his own glory and advancement. In that respect, I’d rank him as among those characters that were the most diametrically opposed to everything Starfleet and the Federation were supposed to stand for. He’s up there with Captain Tracey and Admiral Dougherty among the worst of the lot of Starfleet renegade/traitor villains, but because he was more charismatic and romantic, we tend to be more forgiving. I don’t think he ever saw the maquis as more than another vehicle to advance himself, despite doing a pretty good job of convincing people (himself included) otherwise. He’s not all that far off from men like Dukat (no wonder both rubbed Sisko so wrong on such a deep and personal level)

Ironically, Odo, who was initially seen as not being a team player and wasn’t even a Starfleet officer, ended up better representing the values that men like Eddington pretended to embody. There were few who matched his selflessness and belief in truth and fairness

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I still tend to think he was Maquis from the beginning. You don't die for your cause like that if its just a fuck you to your old bosses who never appreciated you. You have to be a true believer to do that. TBH I think we could do with a Maquis series, because I think there were a LOT in Starfleet and the Federation. Kirk would have been one I think, but in those days Starfleet had more maquis sentiment.

Odo's beef with Quark was personal, and he is not as impartial as he likes to appear.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still tend to think he was Maquis from the beginning. You don't die for your cause like that if its just a fuck you to your old bosses who never appreciated you. You have to be a true believer to do that. TBH I think we could do with a Maquis series, because I think there were a LOT in Starfleet and the Federation. Kirk would have been one I think, but in those days Starfleet had more maquis sentiment.

Odo's beef with Quark was personal, and he is not as impartial as he likes to appear.
No one’s perfect, Odo included. Either way, ds9 did the best job of showing complex dualities in almost every character.

The Cat

Staff member
Like Dukat and his half-Bajoran daughter who he actually seemed to care about.
Ds9 had some of the best villains. Gul Dukat and Kai Winn, Minister Jaro. Sublime. Discovery isnt bad in the villain department either. I wish we could have gotten a few more seasons of Lorca both veiled and unveiled. Rain Wilson as Harry Mudd is good too.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Star Trek IV is my favorite Star Trek film, although I have yet to watch VI in its entirety as an adult (I remember seeing it in theaters, though).

I appreciate the ecological themes and that it's another Star Trek movie about discovery, like the first one (my second choice).

I do also like the comedic milage we get out of them being confused and bewildered by 20th century Earth, and 20th century Earth being bewildered by them.

Actually, I think the next Star Trek movie should do an ecological theme like this. This movie proves that Star Trek can do it well, better than movies like The Happening or so many others.

Of course, what they'd probably do is remake this one and literally go with whales again, and it would suck. But I think you could do something in the spirit of this, be creative about it, and make a pretty good, relevant movie.

Oh, I also still need to watch the last two TNG movies. I was under the impression they are terrible but I need to watch for myself. TMP was supposed to be awful but I loved that.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
Most relatable character in Voyager.​

The Cat

Staff member
Season 6 Episode 9 Statistical probabilities. One of my favorite episodes for obvious, if you know me, reasons. Every time I watch it I get something new and amazing from it. I'll always have a soft spot for my fellow mutants. But this watch through, at the end, a scene that was passed over without comment but was such a HUGE moment of character arc. Right before they leave the station, Julian goes to congratulate Serina and she looks him in the eyes and smiles. She's not been able to do that the whole episode seemingly her whole life and its just brilliantly done. A well scripted episode with a cast of professional actors and good use of not only what is said, but what is shown.